Chest pain.......again

Here we go again. I’ve had off and on chest pain - again - for about 2 months now. It’s definitely not costochondritis because it doesn’t hurt more if I press on it. It’s definitely inside and not in my ribs or lungs. Yesterday I had all kinds of blood tests and an EKG and they all came out good. My doctor wants to do a stress test (treadmill) just to make sure it isn’t my heart.
I’m on Pepcid to prevent heartburn or indigestion. IDK what the heck this is, but three times in the past couple months I’ve chewed the 4 baby aspirin because that’s what you do if you think you’re having a heart blockage (or attack). It helps. I have nitroglycerin, but never sure if or when to use it, so I haven’t used it. I also have mild chest pain that feels like it could be my heart whenever I get the least bit stressed—which has been very often lately…
I’m beginning to think I’m a hypochondriac!!! But, the doctor did tell me yesterday my concerns are legitimate and it’s very normal for people with past heart history to get concerned with any type of similar chest pain. Ughhhhhh.
Hopefully I’ll have a good stress test and I can stop worrying! Then I’ll keep my aspirin and nitro handy to ease my mind whenever this happens!

Oh no! I can’t give you any answers but I’m glad you’ve had some tests done. Stress is awful and can cause all sorts of problems. Big hug and take care xxx

Hug!! That must be so scary!! Fingers crossed for them finding a reason that’s easy to fix!!

Thanks, Katie and Cynthia. It is scary. I think I’ll need to go on an anxiety med. My daughters have been on me for years to try Zoloft…a couple family members take it and it works well for them. I guess I’ll have to swallow my pride and admit I can’t handle the little stress in my life anymore.

You’re doing what you have to do. You absolutely have to get that chest pain checked out, even if doing so increases your stress levels a little.

I think a lot of things cause pain in the chest area but in your case you can’t brush it off. I can just about imagine how worrying it is, just about. Assuming the stress test is clear, it might be worth exploring what is causing that pain. As the doctors understand the anxiety that comes from having had a serious heart problem, they would surely understand how reassuring it would be to know that the current pain is some form of indigestion or PsA-related or whatever.

And if the anxiety is really getting to you, I think you’re right to consider the drugs. You’re not alone in finding the stress of life too much to bear at the moment, there’s no shame whatsoever in that. You should feel proud of how well you have handled all these scary health issues in recent years, I would honestly be a nervous wreck. You’re amazing.

Thanks, Sybil. And so are you—AND you’re smart and funny, too!
You had also mentioned you’ve had some chest pain. Did you ever figure out what caused it? I hope it’s nothing serious.

I could get an endoscopy but yuck. I had one once and it was very uncomfortable…I’d probably worry the walnut-sized camera would get caught in my swallower ? and break off and kill me! That’s how nuts I am! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

We love you just the way you are, GrandmaJ!

Good luck with this. It’s not easy, is it?

2 Likes

But that’s the thing Grandma_J, it’s not “little” and you are handling it. Just as Sybil said, you are doing all the things you need to be doing - it doesn’t feel nice, but you are still doing it.

You really have had a properly tough run the last few years, and have real, genuine reasons for chest pain to be pretty terrifying, but you are dealing with it (not that I’m suggesting you shouldn’t explore the idea of anti-anxiety meds if you want to deal with it differently / better).

To put your active management of some very scary conditions in perspective, I’ve been putting off going to the neurologist for a year and a half (peripheral small-fiber neuropathy), I know I should get an endoscopy because I had pretty severe gastritis when I was asymptomatic 3 years ago (and its turned symptomatic recently), and I’ve become re-addicted to nicotine patches - not cigarettes - just the patches :joy: because I’ve been using them to try to keep my fatigue levels down during the day!

As Seenie says, it is not easy, but I do really admire how well you mange it :grinning:

3 Likes

Oh big hugs Grandma-J and you truly are handling this you know. x

2 Likes

Thank you, all of you. It’s good to know such nice people! :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Ummm…don’t forget that you are one of the nice people as well.

1 Like

Aw thanks, Seenie! I want to be thought of as nice, but sometimes I put my foot in my mouth…I think of myself as a social misfit! :upside_down_face:
I don’t like catty women because I don’t like hurting people’s feelings, but sometimes I say stupid things that are misunderstood. A lot of the time I ask my daughters if it’s ok to say something…somehow they were born with a tactful gene!

Nah Grandma_J, it’s me that lacks tact :joy:. Just know we all think you do an amazing job at life and are nice to boot :blush:

2 Likes

Jen, if you lack tact I haven’t noticed it! You are very kind and a good writer here. :blush::slightly_smiling_face:

I’m hoping I’m on to something. I take famotidine (Pepcid) 20mg daily for acid indigestion. I’ve been taking it along with my other morning pills when I eat breakfast, which is anywhere between 7 and 10 a.m.
That’s why I didn’t think this was indigestion…but today when I woke up with the pain in my chest, I took my Pepcid right away. The instructions do say to take it 10 to 60 minutes before a meal, but I didn’t really follow the instructions exactly. Oooops. :blush: The pain went away really fast! I can’t wait to see if this works again tomorrow…if it does, maybe I can cancel the stress test!

The “distress” test! Sounds like you may be onto something there. Let’s hope!

1 Like

I was under the impression that ‘social misfit’ was a compliment … you’ve got me worried now!

1 Like

I wonder if my doctor can order that one? :thinking:

And, Sybil, I’m ok with taking that as a compliment—if you are! :exploding_head: :exploding_head:

Oh gosh @Grandma_J, soo sorry to hear you have been going through all this!! I only just got near the internet again tonight lol

I do hope they get to the bottom of it for you… perhaps it might be worth having the stress test (if it’s still on offer) anyway… that would definitely either confirm or rule out any heart involvement… will keep my fingers crossed that taking the Pepcid keeps working well for you!!!

There is enough to worry about without adding that to the mix too!!

Huge hugs!!! xxx

1 Like

Your bodies reaction to the “little stress” is the problem… Just like your immune systems reaction is the problem… you take drugs to keep your immune system on track so look at the Zoloft in the same way!

1 Like