Costochronditis perhaps?

Has anyone here experienced chest pain - not the heart attack kind! I’m in between meds again and flaring. All the usual suspects that I normally get but this time the lovely PsA has added a new one. The pain is in my breast bone and radiates through to the centre of my back. I’ve consulted Dr Google and the best answer I could find was costochronditis, apparently another symptom of PsA. Is there no end to the generosity of this diseaseha ha!!?

That stinks. You’re sensitive to pressure? If so, then your diagnosis is probably correct.

Do search the discussions here. If I remember correctly, a number of people have talked about heat on one side and cold on the other. Wondering if a topical like icy hot would be good too.

1 Like

Thank you Stoney. I’ve had a hot water bottle on my chest this afternoon. Helped a bit. It’s mainly on the left side of my chest that I feel the pain and it’s constant. Hurts more if I take a deep breath. Blooming heck!! :confounded:

1 Like

Like Stoney says, costochondritis comes up fairly frequently here so a search might prove useful. I guess it’s not surprising that we write about it so often because any chest pain is concerning.

Due to fairly constant chest pain I’m keen for doctors to check out my heart and lungs at intervals. Yet it has stayed at the same level, quite a low level of pain usually / luckily, for so long that I’m none too worried anymore. Mine is always on the left too and my rib cage is tender if I press it. I try to avoid sitting all scrunched up, though that is a typical laptop position.

Such a fun disease, sigh. So many little and not so little bits and pieces to worry about, check out, tactically ignore etc. etc. Another big sigh & commiserations. Get checked out if you’re at all concerned though.

1 Like

Yep, it sounds like costochondritis. I’m a big believer that when you get New chest pain, though, you should always get it checked out.

My doc just pressed on the rib cage-sternum joints and took vitals - and me being so young and with no heart history, that was enough confirmation - even though I had no PsA diagnosis then, as I got costochondritis in isolation about 6 months before systemic onset.

It’s good to get that info though, personally with chest pain I find it much easier to cope with if there is not a niggling worry in the back of my mind.

Thanks Sybil. I’m pretty sure it’s costochronditis as it’s sore when I press it. I’ve just recently had a chest X-ray and ECG and all was fine but if I still feel ropey I’ll ring my GP on Monday. X

I’m not too worried @Jen75 as I’ve very recently had a huge amount of medical health checks, including ECG and chest X-ray as well as bloods and BP etc and everything was fine. I’ll ring my doctor on Monday if I’m still in as much pain. I’m hoping I can get started on Erelzi/Etanercept soon! X

Sounds like it is Katie. Mine liked to move from side to side just to fox me.

Ha ha!! This is some weird disease!! It’s a little less painful this morning. Where will the pain pop up next I wonder!

I’m in this group too! I developed Costochronditis in December 2017. Doc told me not to exercise, relax, use Advil if needed (I’m not saying for anyone to do this, this is just what I was told). Since then - now April 2018 - I have never gotten back to no pain. It got better, but it’s still there. Going up and down stairs, walking the dog, housework etc just has it there. Heavy exercise is totally out for me. Walking I can do somewhat - if the weather isn’t too cold. Cold seems to hurt more. I look forward to gardening soon - and pray I will be able to do it. Gardening is peaceful for me, and I’d be sad if that is taken away from me too because of this chest pain… I work thru the ‘regular’ pains when I garden, but this pain. Guess I will find a way. I hope you get better soon!

Thank you Catt, it’s awful how this disease can take away some of the things we love doing. For you it’s gardening and for me it’s my art, as my hands are badly affected. But today I’m feeling a bit better despite being in between meds, due to start another biologic soon. And I’ve started dabbling in a few small watercolours too as it’s light on the hands. My usual medium of pastel sticks I use with my hands and fingers as tools instead of brushes and that is too vigorous at the moment. I’m sure the warmer weather will benefit us all. In the UK we’ve had a really long and cold winter - six months of cold, wet and windy weather with lots of snow and ice. Longing for some warmth now!

Take care xxx

Oh an artist! I love to do art. Currently painting. Trying my hand at paint pot pours. Next I want to try a foil tree. I so enjoy art. Very healing. I’m sorry to hear that you struggle with it. I would so miss that too. Keep going as much as you can! Don’t let it take away your joys. Find what works and helps. Would love to see your work!

Painting is my therapy Catt. It’s very healing when I go into the zone. All else is forgotten. Here’s my website www.kathwoollenartist.co.uk. Take care of yourself xxx

Hi Katie!

I quickly looked at your photos. Have to go get a pneumonia shot (finally better enough to get one) but will look more later. And post on it.

It’s wonderful what you paint. Mine are more different. I love the pets. ha ha ha - have 2 cats and 1 havenese dog.

Write later,

hope you feel better.

Cattarina
**1484441323691_t09086.gif **

Holding onto your beliefs limits your experience of life.

1 Like

Oh, yes. And, anxiety about it makes it worse. It starts in my breast bone then radiates out to ribs and final through to my back. Not moving is about all that helps it.

1 Like

Rest and a hot water bottle does it for me and meditation and mindfulness for the anxiety!

Makes sense it could be from PSA. There is connective tissue around the breastbone.

1 Like

Hello Katie,
Yes to chest pains. I’ve been experiencing this kind of pain for the last 6 months. I discussed it with my rheumatology nurse and rheumatologist and they diagnosed the pain as costochondritis. The first time it happened, it was in the middle of the night when I was trying to get to sleep, I thought I was having a heart. It now happens at least once a week as I too have been having an ongoing flare up. I would suggest you go see you Dr. to get a proper diagnosis.
All the best,
N x

I get this awful pain that starts in the middle of my back, moves through to my chest and up to my neck into my jaw and the pain stays in all those places while it plays out. It scared me at first, but I’ve had it for so many years that I now just grit down and bear it. It is very painful when it flares up and there is nothing I can do but move around and hope something helps it go away (and so far, nothing does, I just have to ride it out). I never heard of this costochronditis, but I was told it was possibly due to my spinal stenosis so I might be experiencing something different.

Thankfully it’s settled down now! But if it returns I’ll get some advice xx