Can PsA cause carpal tunnel syndrome?

I hope this day finds you all pain free (not happening for most of us} or at a tolerable level of pain. I have been having problems with my hand and forearm mainly at night but during the day too. Itchy palm, numbness, pins and needles, pain and dropping things frequently. Had an Emg and the neurologist who did the test said Carpal tunnel. I asked him if the PsA could cause it and was told no. Researched a little and it says the swelling of arthritis can cause the medial nerve to swell resulting in PsA. Does anyone else suffer from it? My job I can safely say would not cause it. Just wondering if there is a bigger correlation between the two.

A few others with much more experience will chime in, but essentially, yes, that’s very likely.

I am going to have an EMG test on Tuesday the 29th of this month. My rheumy has told me that due to my wrists fusing it is causing the carpal tunnel. I hear that carpal tunnel is fairly common with PsA. Surgery on both hands, is probably in my future as I know I already have muscle & nerve damage. So I would talk to your rheumy about it if it continues. Best of luck to you.

My carpal tunnel got bad at the same time my feet got bad. I think it is related to the PsA – deep swelling that pushes on the nerve inside your wrist. I’ve had one release (before knowing that what I had was PsA) and my other one is bothering me a lot these days. I’m hoping to get onto a biological soon, so will try to delay getting the second release done until I see whether the medication helps.
I had nerve testing in my feet because I was having numbness and tingling in them. Neurologist said the cause was swellling pushing on the nerves. In short, PsA.

I had severe carpal tunnel symptoms. I went through issues with both the ulnar and median nerves, numbness, pins & needles sensation. At its worst, I would wake hourly with piercing pain in my palms. My PCP at the time just gave me a dospak of steroids which didnt help for long otherwise he just shrugged it off.. I reached a point where I would repeatedly plunge my arms into a bucket of ice water seeking relief.

It was this that put me on the path to seeking other doctors & finally getting diagnosed with PsA. My rheumy noted I had significantly reduced range of motion in my wrist. Since starting a biologic, I rarely have those symptoms anymore.

So I am convinced the PsA inflammation can induce such symptoms.

Thank you for your info. My back and my feet were the first signs of PsA for me.