Trigger fingers and carpal tunnel? Part of the PsA pic?

I have carpal tunnel, diagnosed before my PsA. My late Mother had CT and trigger fingers as well. She also had a horrid scaly red "eczema" (that's what her family doc called it) in her ears, which my dermatologist is sure was psoriasis. She also had miscellaneous joint complaints, never diagnosed as anything except "a bit of arthritis". I'm now convinced that she had PsA.

So is this all part of the PsA pic? How many of us PsA'ers have carpal and trigger finger issues?

Seenie

I’ve had two carpal tunnel surgeries, a wrist tunnel surgery and two ulnar nerve transpositions the last one being 2 years ago, before my diagnosis. Now my carpal tunnel is coming back due to the inflammation that is happening in my hands and wrists. I’ve had the nerve conduction tests done and they confirm it is from the inflammation. My neck is a problem too. It causes problems in my hands and arms. I hope you get some relief soon and have a wonderful day.

My understanding was carpal tunnel was not due to PsA but trigger fingers are. My Rheumy said carpal tunnel is almost always caused by over use and trigger fingers are inflammed tendon sheaths which is due to PsA. Now that I have passed this on I hope she knew what she was saying or I didn't misunderstand her! I have had a number of trigger fingers, starting before I was diagnosed but they have always responded to injections. My father also had trigger fingers, itchy "ezcema" esp. his ears. He had some joint pain and terrible stiffness but was never diagnsed with PsA. We alsways thought it was due to his working hard as a large animal veternarian in a very cold and rural agricultural state. I also had a great uncle who had a "disfiguring red rash and joint issues" and died young after being an "invalid for many years". Unfortunately "psoriasis" wasn't a diagnosis made back in his day but I have wondered if he also had PsA. Isn't it interesting to read old history when looking for a genetic link?

Genealogy plays a big part I think. I have figured out that it my mothers side that had the psoriasis/ PsA gene. My grandmothers older brother used to have large rashes and a lot of joint pain and problems but in the early 1900’s no one knew what ever caused it. I have cousins on that side as well that have psoriasis. I just get to be the chosen one ;). I’m glad though that we live in a time where medicines are around to help us live more normal lives :slight_smile:

Interesting indeed! What you said about your father, Michael, is a perfect description of my mother! And yes, Leahdc, we are lucky that there is help for us. A generation or two ago, nothing could be done.

michael in vermont said:

My father also had trigger fingers, itchy "ezcema" esp. his ears. He had some joint pain and terrible stiffness but was never diagnsed with PsA. ... Isn't it interesting to read old history when looking for a genetic link?

Hi Seenie,

Looks like there is a link to CT and arthritis, and trigger finger! Lucky us!

http://www.arthritis.org/search.php?search=1&start=1&query=...http://www.arthritis.org/search.php?search=1&start=1&query=...

Seems you have to type in each at the top of the page in relationship to arthritis. PsA did not have too much info that I could find, but arthritis in general has a condiderable amount of info.

Mine started with Trigger fingers and carpal tunnel. I’ve had 3 trigger finger releases and the carpal tunnel release on my left hand. I also have 3 more fingers starting to trigger. The carpal tunnel can be caused by the condition depending on the person and how bad the inflammation is. The median nerve does run through the tendon shealth and if their is inflammation there it will pinch the nerve.

Yes, as I thought. I'm seeing yet another connection with what has ailed me since before I got a PsA diagnosis. It would all be terribly interesting if it weren't about you and me! ;-)

Gotta run, I have to go inject myself with mtx. ROFL!!!

Seenie