Biologics & your teeth

I have TMJ along with PsA so I have suffered from sensitive teeth the first few months after getting fitted for an orthodic splint to wear at night. That soreness gradually went away but now 6 months after starting Enbrel for PsA my teeth ache bad enough to feel the need for pain reliever. The benefits of Enbrel outweigh the negative aspects for me but I wondered if others have noticed this side effect.

Woah I also have TMJ with PsA. I have been having sensitivity in my teeth. I thought it was because I'm having tons of dental work since my teeth all seem to be dying. I asked my Dentist and he seemed stumped. I use Sysodyne toothpaste and it has helped allot. I figure it's all because I'm having terrible dry mouth and it's destroying my teeth very quickly. It's gotten so bad that I actually have Thrush right now. These auto-immune diseases can be gross and embarrassing along with painful.

Hi All from not so sunny Wales, UK

I have been a PsA patient since 2010, although had various symptoms before then

My lovely dad was an Ankolosing Spondylitis patient too - sadly passed away last year (suspected perforated bowl due to long term Nsaid use - Indomethacin)

I have noticed a lot of problems with teeth since starting Enbrel in Sep 2011

Always took good care of oral health and actually had two caps lift off since starting enbrel - figured it was either bad timing or perhaps the bone / health supply is being compromised due to the Immunosupressant

I have queried TMJ - but have also had work done on teeth to sort any nerve issues

However I have also been on Methotrexate and Sulfasalezene

Currently only taking 50 mg injection per week of Enbrel and Etoricoxib 60mg p/d with Omeprozole

Neither Dentists nor my Rheumatologist seem to be aware of or see the link ?? Would be interesting if more knowledge was updated on this subject from the drug maunufacturers .

I have noticed a pretty severe pain in my left temple which comes and goes

Also - has anyone had lower Abdominal pain on the lower right hand side ? - I was checked out in hospital last week in pain or suspected appendicitis, but proved to sort itself out

When I was diagnosed, I was told there would be some serious side effects with my mouth and teeth. My doctor put me on 5mg folic acid to help with the methotrexate side effects which include your teeth and mouth. These medications deplete your body of folic acid and it ability to maintain it. I still have issues with my mouth but not as bad as it could be. Check with your doctor about adding sufficient folic acid and other minerals your body my need due to the biologics. I am on Remicade, methotrexate, and cyclosprohine. All of the have side effects that effect the mouth. Good luck and I hope each of you have more comfort mouth days.

A Rheumy once said that TMJ is the preamble to Fibrom. Thrush comes from the Prednisone. Had/have them both.

I was developing TMJ before I was diagnosed with PsA. Two things helped it greatly. One thing that mage a huge difference was going on Enbrel. The other thing is that I grind my teeth and I was using the cheep mouth guard which locks your jaw in place. I upgraded to the $40 Sleep Right mouth guard which just has bite wings and lets my mouth move around.

Between those two changes I'm not having any issues with my jaw now.

I don't think it is necessarily the Enbrel causing the problem, but underlying inflammation. The inflammation can affect the roots of your teeth. That's what happened to me. Also, many people start to have teeth and / or gum problems around ages 30-40. It may simply be that your disease and treatment coincided with something that was going to happen anyway. Dry mouth and / or medication can change your saliva, which helps protect your teeth and keep your whole mouth healthy. I have a dentist now (for the past 5 yrs) who immediately saw the connection between my autoimmune disease and my oral health. He's been amazing.

Interesting. Good to know.

Dry mouth can be Sjögren’s syndrome. When you have one autoimmune disease you get more easily. Dry mouth, dry eyes, dry lady parts all part of it. The dry mouth is horrid, breath is hard to keep fresh and no amount of water ever produces saliva. Like a desert in there.

Marietta said:

I don't think it is necessarily the Enbrel causing the problem, but underlying inflammation. The inflammation can affect the roots of your teeth. That's what happened to me. Also, many people start to have teeth and / or gum problems around ages 30-40. It may simply be that your disease and treatment coincided with something that was going to happen anyway. Dry mouth and / or medication can change your saliva, which helps protect your teeth and keep your whole mouth healthy. I have a dentist now (for the past 5 yrs) who immediately saw the connection between my autoimmune disease and my oral health. He's been amazing.