Biologics, here we go

Well, finally, I got to start on the biologics yesterday. I’ve never known such a long-winded process of getting meds, but got there in the end after tests, more tests, x-rays, waiting for delivery, then waiting for a nurse. They have given me Benepali, which is a bio-similar. All’s well so far. No reaction at the site of the injection as yet, and as its been over 24 hours I’m assuming it would have happened by now. Oddly, i went into town today and was walking better than I have for a long while. I am thinking that must be a coincidence!

Anyway, fingers crossed! Well, I’d cross them if I could, but the arthritis…

4 Likes

Hope it goes really well for you darinfan.

Woohay! Hoping Benepali turns out to be the best Christmas present ever darinfan!

Good luck!

Fingers crossed :crossed_fingers: for you darinfan (yes with Humira I can do that, at least most of the time :joy:)

Well, injection was Tuesday, and (sciatica aside) I have been walking better with each passing day. Today I got about half a mile without even using my stick. Swelling going down in hands. I can see my ankle bone in my foot.

Is this coincidence, or is this drug a Christmas miracle??? Surely they can’t work that quick?

1 Like

Some find they work that quick … I’m thinking there are also reports of a brief honeymoon period followed by something more down to earth followed by a more lasting result.

Well, I’m keeping fingers crossed. About to attempt bringing the steroids down to 1 a day again tomorrow - can’t cope with feeling like quasimodo thanks to the fat redistribution anymore. It’s just too darned uncomfortable. I look like the bloody michelin man!

Sounds like the Benepali has had a fantastic start for you, that is just awesome to hear!!! Keeping fingers crossed that the improvement keeps coming in leaps and bounds and sticks for you!!!

So far so good. And I tapered down steroids at the weekend too. Fingers crossed - I can do that now too!!

3 Likes

Great news - steroid tapers are so horrible that if you are doing that without big dramas it is a great sign!

Well, ten days in and the arthritis is much better. But I’m having problems with a tight chest that I’m concerned might be related to the injections. I’ve had it in the past, sometimes for weeks at a time, and each time it has gone away of its own accord. I’ve always thought it was stress-related, and it may be that this time too - after all, Mum has been ill, I’m starting new meds, Christmas is coming up, etc. And the other thing that makes me think it might be stress-related is that it isn’t there all the time. Surely if it was the injections, I would get it all the time. But, instead, I seem to be fine when I go out, and it’s when I’m sitting down at home it gets worse. Was at the cinema on Friday and it came on about halfway through (just about the time that my concentration on the film started to lapse). Went out of the screen, nipped to the loo, came back and felt fine. Don’t know. Will pop to the docs on Monday and see what he thinks!

The improving arthritis is a very good sign, here’s hoping that keeps improving!!! You might get to have a Christmas with little to no pain… that’d be just awesome!!!

Sooo very sorry to hear about the other issues cropping up though… you may be right, it might be stress, or maybe a reaction to the new med, or completely unrelated. If it is the new med it might be one of these things that settles once your body has become accustomed to the med (keeping my fingers crossed that’s how it goes for you)… but yes, I think a quick chat with your doc would be in order… never hurts to check things out!!! Even if only to put your mind at rest.

Sorry to hear about your mum not having been so good… here’s hoping she perks up a little for Chrissy… You know as kids our Mums worry soo much about us, and then as they get older the roles reverse :slight_smile: I guess this is the way of life.

Take care of yourself, so that you are able to continue to take care of your Mum too. Hugs

1 Like

It’s interesting that I’ve been online for the last few hours, chatting and such. Not been out of breath during all that time. Seems to point to stress and anxiety! When I forget about it, it disappears!

1 Like

That has to be a good sign!! Perhaps the meds are making you a little more sensitive to stress, or maybe it’s stress from all that is going on, added to Chrissy stresses… I still don’t think it would hurt to have that quick chat with your doc… just to be sure :slight_smile:

I’ve had to go back over my previous post and add in a few missed words, so if it didn’t make sense please read it again… I blame the brain fog for my delinquent typing fingers :laughing:

1 Like

It wouldn’t be when you get cold? (Our cinemas are often freezing). Costochondritis for me gets worse if I get cold and the tendons tighten up. Most of the time, my ‘mild’ costochondritis feels like a tight chest and it’s hard to breathe rather than direct pain.

1 Like

Ahh… Jen75… good thinking!!! She might be right there @darinfan… might be something to raise with your doc when you go?

It doesn’t seem to be the cold as it doesn’t happen when I am outside! It seems to be linked more to inactivity, oddly. Which makes me think it’s a stress thing.

Well, went to the GP, and she doesn’t know what it is. Which is pretty much what I suspected. No chest infection (which I pretty much knew already). Her general feeling was the same as mine that it is probably nerves/anxiety. The fact it comes in waves of half hour or so and then disappears (and is relieved by diazapam) points to that rather than the biologics. Spoke the biologics nurse at the hospital as well, and she said the same. She said it can’t be ruled out, but doesn’t sound like an allergic reaction. I went and did some singing tonight, and had no problems at all with that, and because of the way I sing, often with long phrases in one breath, if there was REALLY a problem, I wouldn’t be able to do it. So, it’s biologics as normal tomorrow and hope I survive!

2 Likes

I’m sure you’ll survive (were not that easy to bump off :laughing: but, good to know you’ll be able to continue with biologics, it sounded like you feeling as if you were getting good results with the new stuff.

We all need to remember that not everything that goes amiss can be blamed on the meds, we are still prone to all the other things life throws at our health… but I think, given that meds can be soo potent, it is always wise to check it out, just incase.

I’m so pleased your singing went well!!! It’d be absolutely awful if you couldn’t that anymore (I know, I won’t be singing again unless my vocal chords get over themselves and start to behave again lol)… and you have such an awesome voice… I’m sure the punters love to listen!!!

Have lovely, safe and relaxing Christmas!!

1 Like