Update on ‘You need to get worse, before you get better’

Hello all,

I just wanted to give you all an update, especially as you were so supportive with my original posting. I saw the rheumatology nurse today as an emergency clinic visit and believe it or not I had more than the required 3 swollen, painful joints. In fact, both hands (fingers), ankles, elbows, knees and shoulders were either showing signs of inflammation or painful at the touch. So it was a resounding yes for the move to biologics. I don’t really know why I’m celebrating. I actually cried when I came home. I suppose I am pinning all my hopes on this being the miracle cure. I should know better to take it one day at a time and one drug at a time, but after being in pain (MTX withdrawal) for the last 3 weeks, it feels like there is some light at the end of the tunnel. I have to wait until the i’s are dotted and the t’s are crossed, so in the mean time I was given a steroid jab to keep me ticking over.

Thanks for the advice on my last posting. I will keep you all updated as and when I have my first biologic injection.

Nicole x

4 Likes

definitely a sorry/not sorry moment. Sorry for your pain and discomfort/not sorry because you’ll get the treatment you need.

1 Like

Thankyou for the update, and I second that from janetieu. I so hope you get great results when those biologics finally come through!

Nicole, I’m so glad that you are going to get the type of treatment you need. Biologics don’t work for everyone, but they have the best track record of any PsA treatment. They are the gold standard, and whichever one you end up with, it’s going to most likely work or not work. There isn’t usually a state of “kind of works”, where you wonder whether you’re imagining improvement.

Do keep us in the loop about how you are doing!

Fantastic news Nicole! I think there really is cause for cheering like crazy when biologics enter stage left. Not because they’re miracle drugs, but because in terms of the treatment available to us they are in a class of their own.

Do you know which biologic is most likely? I hope whichever one it is, you get as great a result as I’ve had for the last 4 years. I was quite pleased with what Mtx achieved, but Humira has made my life pretty much normal again - it’s a sea change.

1 Like

So delighted to hear this. But I’d have cried when I got home too.

1 Like