Bad day

Bad day.....bad month really. I have been sick for a month! I know with this disease it takes me longer to get well but come on. Sore throat, swollen glands, watery eyes, and bad cough. It will seem to get better or be gone then comes back! Anyway having hard time dealing with the cold from hell on top of PSA and P symptoms. To make matters worse my sig other is ragging on me again about my energy level or lack of. I am at a loss here. I have talked till I am blue in the face about the side effects. I have brought him medical reading materials on P and PSA. I have my own bussiness and he was standing there when a women with P and PSA was sharing her story with me and he still treats me like I am just lazy and sickly and to be honest I am done with putting up with it! I don't enjoy being trapped in this body........I am not the same person I was two years ago when I could go and go. I want that body back but it's not gonna happen.

I'm sorry you are going through such a tough time :(. I know what it's like to have a cold for so long, during my first real flare I had a cold that lasted for 21 days! It was ridiculous. I'm not sure what would help with you S.O., maybe take him to a gp/rheumy visit with you? Have you had them read the spoon theory?

http://www.butyoudontlooksick.com/articles/written-by-christine/the-spoon-theory-written-by-christine-miserandino/

I know that helped my husband "get it" a bit more. Good luck :) I hope things look up soon.

Hang in there!! One thing to remember is that he is probably feeling frustrated too. It's not easy being a person who has been self sufficient who suddenly needs help with everything but it also isn't easy to watch a loved one suddenly have physical problems they didn't have the day before. They don't want to see us give up or struggle either. My hubby has been having a rough time understanding what is happening with me too but we sat down one day and I just laid it all out and pointed out to him how frustrated this makes me feel as well. I went from being the strong one (heavy lifter, emotionally stable, did all the hard stuff) to having to ask him to open bottles, massage my toes, and some days not have the energy to get dressed. It is times like this when we find out how much we need each other. It may take some time but educate him - have him get on here and talk with others family members who are dealing with this too.

Hugs! It's hard to deal with illness on top of chronic illness ... and a partner who doesn't get it on top of that. I hope you get well soon!!!

Sorry to hear you are having a crappy month. It seems to be that people have varying degrees of empathy and compassion. One of my best friends has zero. She even tells me that I should stop the meds and stop creating this sickness in my body. I have decided that I love her for a million other reasons and all her other beautiful qualities make up for her absolute lack of empathy. So I don't take on her beliefs. But she isn't my partner so it is quite different. It would be nice if people could try to walk (or limp in my case) a mile in someone elses shoes before they formed opinions. It is sad that your partner does not understand. Do you have friends or other family members who can give you compassion and understanding when you need it? It does suck to be the partner of someone with a chronic illness, but it sucks more to have the illness so be kind to yourself. You're doing the best that you can do right now, and that is all we can ask of any one. I hope your bad month passes.

Thank you so much for that link! I'm hoping that those close to me will find this helpful. I teared up when I read it!

Andrea

Emma W said:

I'm sorry you are going through such a tough time :(. I know what it's like to have a cold for so long, during my first real flare I had a cold that lasted for 21 days! It was ridiculous. I'm not sure what would help with you S.O., maybe take him to a gp/rheumy visit with you? Have you had them read the spoon theory?

http://www.butyoudontlooksick.com/articles/written-by-christine/the...

I know that helped my husband "get it" a bit more. Good luck :) I hope things look up soon.

I'm glad you liked it :) I got the link from someone on another website so i'm glad to be spreading it around

Andrea said:

Thank you so much for that link! I'm hoping that those close to me will find this helpful. I teared up when I read it!

Andrea

Emma W said:

http://www.butyoudontlooksick.com/articles/written-by-christine/the...

so sorry you are dealing with this. i don't have a lot to offer other than i think a lot of us go through that at first with our significant others... it's hard for them to understand when we were fine before, how we aren't now when we don't look like we're sick. i hope that soon something clicks and he is more understanding. and i hope you feel better soon!