Autogenic Training

Hi all. Does anyone have any experience or knowledge of using Autogenic Training with PsA?

1 Like

I’m curious. . . what are you looking to gain from this? Pain management?

1 Like

Well, I’ve recently returned to AT for relaxation and stress management. The book I have has a chapter on arthritis but not PsA specifically; I was simply wondering if anyone had found it helpful in this context.

1 Like

The term is strange and so I looked it up. It is a form of meditation and self hypnosis. Neither is dangerous and both will help reducing pain and mindsets that aggravate many conditions such as high blood pressure, anxiety, muscle relaxation, etc. Stress can contribute to creating a flare up in PsA.

1 Like

One of the best things you can do for pain management is to retrain your body to breath with the diaphragm and not the chest muscles. The more oxygen you get them less pain you have.

1 Like

Meditation / self hypnosis is a really good description of AT. For me, it is more accessible than either of those and addresses all of the issues you mention.

1 Like

Clearly good advice. As a pro-level saxophonist for over 30 years, diaphragm breathing is very much second nature. My hope is that I can control this disease and prevent further problems with my hands.

1 Like