As summer nears an end

Just wondering if anyone has any special plans? I myself an not looking forward to the colder weather. The winters here in New England as oh so long. In any event I hope everyone is enjoying their summer & continues to have a fun, safe time.

Good question! This summer seems to have slipped away. I have not had an official 'vacation' this year but try to take a day here and there off as mental health days! I am in Texas so looking forward to cooler weather - but not cold - just cooler. I have had enough of the 100+ days! I love to garden so look forward to puttering in the dirt when it is cooler. I love New England but you do have cold LONG winters. But Fall is lovely!

I'm in central NY and our winters are cold! The summer has gone so fast for me, I can't spend a lot of time in the sun (medication) and so I feel I missed the whole season! I love Christmas and so I have started thinking gifts and already have one in progress. I am a crocheter and today I said If I ever get to a day when I can't crochet it will be a sad day (I had to put it down for a bit as my finges hurt so bad) I wold love low humidity and about 75 degrees year round :)

Ali

Hi Liz,

I am dreading the winter, not only because of the PsA, but the Raynaud's. I will not miss the air conditioning one bit, it has not been at all beneficial to me!

I had high hopes of taking the grandsons to the DC zoo, or the Baltimore Aquarium, or the Smithsonian, but still cannot ride in the car. Perhaps before winter this can change and I can take them somewhere special, but have been so glad to have them here with me for visits! They always brighten up my life.

I hope that the infusions continue to give you relief, and that you are able to enjoy outings with your children and grandchildren. Always a pleasure to hear from you Elizabeth!

Love and hugs,

SK

Things are definitely changing for me! I will no longer be caring for two of the kids I have twice a week, as the almost-five-year-old is going to kindergarten and her little brother to a daycare closer to her parents' house. That's a major loss of income, and one I can't replace. I won't have any "extra" kids in September, except perhaps a day here and there, and maybe not October either. Then, when my other friend has her baby, I'll have Miss M again, as well as her baby sister, but only 1-2 days a week as opposed to the 3-4 days a week I have Miss M now.

Healthwise, this is going to be a good change, as I'll have more time to rest and more time to concentrate on my health. Financially this is bad for my entire family and a bit scary. I'm hoping to be able to do more homeschool outings, if we can figure my health situation out and get me feeling well. Our homeschool co-op will be starting back up and I'll most likely be teaching a class of 3-5 year olds again.

In October we're spending a long weekend in a heated cabin at Camp Calumet in NH and doing all sorts of fun family activities. In November, we're going to PA to spend Thanksgiving with my husband's family (if we can manage to afford gas!!!).

We're hoping to get some home improvement projects going as well - so we have a lot going on!!!!!!

Oh Nym I am sorry you are losing some income but thrilled you are going to use the time wisely on your health. The cabin sounds wonderful!

I am having so much trouble with the hot and humid weather in Vermont this year that I am actually looking foreward to some cool, dry weather. We are not taking a vacation this year as my son is starting college. Lots of excitment in our house! I am thrilled for him though I know I will miss him terribly. I was a single mother until 5 years ago so he and I are close. But he is so excited it is infectious! And I know I need to take good care of myself so it is all good. And my husband and I have never lived together just the 2 of us as we each had a son that lived with us when we married. I am sure wild times await us!

We also have been doing some home improvements- new roof and new windows. We are also switching bed roms and tv room around. This will also be good, once the disarray is over, as it will be more user friendly for me.

Thanks for asking. I hope everyone has a wonderful end to their summers. I am really hoping my husband and I will get to Montreal for the day. I try to go to the botanical garden there at least once a year.

I live in Seattle, summer starts around here the 5th of July and ends the second week of Sept.

Sorry for the loss of income. I am a single mom & was in a car accident on my way to work last Oct. I lost my car & my job. It was horrible. I am a Christian & believe all things happen for a reason. We may not know what that reason is right now, but it is meant for good. As a side note have you tried posting on sittercity or care.com? There are a lot of people looking for sitters & daycare now that it is getting close to back to school time. Best of luck to you. I will keep you in my prayers.

nym said:

Things are definitely changing for me! I will no longer be caring for two of the kids I have twice a week, as the almost-five-year-old is going to kindergarten and her little brother to a daycare closer to her parents' house. That's a major loss of income, and one I can't replace. I won't have any "extra" kids in September, except perhaps a day here and there, and maybe not October either. Then, when my other friend has her baby, I'll have Miss M again, as well as her baby sister, but only 1-2 days a week as opposed to the 3-4 days a week I have Miss M now.

Healthwise, this is going to be a good change, as I'll have more time to rest and more time to concentrate on my health. Financially this is bad for my entire family and a bit scary. I'm hoping to be able to do more homeschool outings, if we can figure my health situation out and get me feeling well. Our homeschool co-op will be starting back up and I'll most likely be teaching a class of 3-5 year olds again.

In October we're spending a long weekend in a heated cabin at Camp Calumet in NH and doing all sorts of fun family activities. In November, we're going to PA to spend Thanksgiving with my husband's family (if we can manage to afford gas!!!).

We're hoping to get some home improvement projects going as well - so we have a lot going on!!!!!!

Hi Liz and all who reply. We have had a wonderful summer (not the heat and humidity) as we were able to finally take our much anticipated, do what we want, vacation. My DH has been retired for a few years now and I worked full time until Feb 3 of this year. So this was the first time we could vacation and not HAVE to be back home in 5 days. We had saved for a long time so we could do this and thoroughly enjoyed ourselves. We were gone for 3 1/2 weeks and saw and did some awsome things we never would have had the chance to otherwise. My DH is 16 years my senior so who knows if we will ever have the chance again.

Now to watch our 5 y/o grandson start kindegarten. Wow they sure grow up fast!!

At this point in time, I'm going to take the break to figure out various health issues I'm having (liver enzymes elevated more than normal, worsening kidney function, foot injury, knee issues), get into the homeschool year, and then ease into babysitting a 2.5 year old and newborn. If we're struggling financially come the new year, I'll look into taking on more kids.

I'm a Christian as well, and do trust that things will work out for the best. I am pretty relaxed about things now. I'm seeing this as an opportunity to make some changes, get things done around the house, get my health on track, and simplify our lives even more.

Elizabeth Rodriquez said:

Sorry for the loss of income. I am a single mom & was in a car accident on my way to work last Oct. I lost my car & my job. It was horrible. I am a Christian & believe all things happen for a reason. We may not know what that reason is right now, but it is meant for good. As a side note have you tried posting on sittercity or care.com? There are a lot of people looking for sitters & daycare now that it is getting close to back to school time. Best of luck to you. I will keep you in my prayers.

I am with you nym, I am making some changes to make taking care of myself more easy. I am out on disability and my son is leaving for college. Although I worry aboout being lonely and not making a contribution I feel it will work out. I am very blessed to have a disability policy I bought years ago as I was a single older mother with a young son it now is making this all this a lot easier. I am looking foreward to a quiet fall with lots os me time. And it will be the first time my new (5 yrs) husband and I will be living alone with no kids at home. I believe if I do my part God, or whatever higher power you believe in, will do the rest. I am really excited about simplifying. I am trying to set things up so each day I do a little bit of things that are important to m and I can still do: pray, exercise, bathing is salts, massage once a week, swim three times a week, reading, etc. My son and I are sorting and tossing lots of "stuff"- we have a local Good Will that will greatly benefit. I have been doing some reading on simple, healthy food and just found Tightwad Gazette- I can remember loving it in the 80's and have some of her books but plan on getting more. I have found them on the net. I wish us both good luck with our new adventures!