Winter Blahs and Tips For Staying Active--Please Add Yours

Hi all,

for those of you in colder climates I wanted to wish you all a warm and cozy day with lots of sunshine. Personally I cannot stand winter. It is too cold, too long, too dark and too cold. Did I mention it is also too cold.

I know many of us in colder climates really do suffer more with our symptoms in the winter and getting out and about is really hard so we become less mobile which makes our symptoms even worse which makes us want to stay inside more and so on and so on and so on. So, to all of you suffering through the winter blahs--COURAGE.

If you have any tips to add for beating the winter blahs and to help us all escape from our mountain of blankets, heating pads and thermal long johns, I'd love to hear them. We need to keep active so that we can enjoy the spring and summer when they (eventually) come. I'm longing for that the time of year when I don't need to wear socks!

I try to wrap up warm and shuffle outside--even if for just five minutes. I get my heart rate up inside if I can't muster the courage to go outside (I'm listening to winds gusting 30mph and I know the windchill outside is close to 0F today so most of my activity today will be indoors). On the advice of my physical therapist, I go up and down the stairs three more times than I need to during the day, paying attention to my form, engaging my core and glutes. I vacuum if I can--dust or do laundry if I don't have the strength to vacuum (remember I am domestically disabled--it is NOT my thing). What do you recommend?

Wishing you all less of this:

and more of this:

We have been living in the fog for the past week. It sure is depressing, damp and cold as it would be clear however...the fog just keeps rolling in! Today my family jumped in the truck and headed higher up until we found some blue sky. My hips were screaming this morning and I wasn't to sure about getting out for a hike but after a few minutes of hiking my hips actually felt better. I'm not as fast as I once was but we managed to summit a local mountain and enjoy the warmth of the sun for a bit before heading down. My hips are screaming again now...but it felt so good to get out and enjoy some sun and amazing views! I've been trying to keep moving daily, taking our Lab out for short hikes or 10-20min on the stationary bike, I have found that the easiest to do especially on rainy days.

We have wood heat and it's pretty much tropical in the house at all times, I wear fluffy socks and bed time always requires cozy flannel PJ's. If I don't wear a long sleeve pajama top, my shoulders will ach and keep me up all night.

We have a hot tub that is also wonderful this time of the year, however it's not covered so I tend to only use it on good weather days. Sea salt or Epsom salt baths are wonderful too! Currently...dreaming of sitting on a beach some place warm and tropical(like the one you posted) ...thinking that would be amazing to help break up the Coastal damp winter.

Believe it or not, I got a job walking dogs. I don't tend to be particularly cold sensitive other than Raynauds. So I usually find that the winter is okay, or okay enough for me. Walking dogs forces me outside whether I want to be or not, so that I get some frigid cold air.

I also joined a gym. Planet Fitness is just $10 a month. It's somewhat bare bones, but I can do PT style exercises, staying carefully within an acceptable range of motion, and then use different equipment for cardio than I have at home. I'm totally loving the elliptical!

I discovered years ago that if I don't spend time outside in the winter, I tend towards depression. So whether it's walking dogs, snowshoeing, etc, I make an effort to get some outside time.

I will say, this week I wound up walking dogs three days in a row. By Friday I was completely shot, and basically did nothing at all, including not going outside any more than absolutely necessary. Being out in such cold weather definitely took it out of me, and I'm still in recovery from it today.

Awesome Stoney! The dog walking and you loving the elliptical! What an awesome job, walking dogs! I love dogs :-) Our lab tends to walk me and I've had a few injuries from walking her. We hit the trails where she can run free, easier on her and me. She is trained to sit and wait if there is anyone other then us on the trail.

I tried an elliptical when we were away and found it wonderful for my joints...compared to my treadmill. I did have issues with my feet going numb, but that stopped after I was done. I would love to get one for home!

We bought snow shoes, but unfortunately this is the first year in many that we have no snow. Even our local ski mountain that usually has the best base in Canada, opened late!

Stoney said:

Believe it or not, I got a job walking dogs. I don't tend to be particularly cold sensitive other than Raynauds. So I usually find that the winter is okay, or okay enough for me. Walking dogs forces me outside whether I want to be or not, so that I get some frigid cold air.

I also joined a gym. Planet Fitness is just $10 a month. It's somewhat bare bones, but I can do PT style exercises, staying carefully within an acceptable range of motion, and then use different equipment for cardio than I have at home. I'm totally loving the elliptical!

I discovered years ago that if I don't spend time outside in the winter, I tend towards depression. So whether it's walking dogs, snowshoeing, etc, I make an effort to get some outside time.

I will say, this week I wound up walking dogs three days in a row. By Friday I was completely shot, and basically did nothing at all, including not going outside any more than absolutely necessary. Being out in such cold weather definitely took it out of me, and I'm still in recovery from it today.

Too funny! Things don’t seems to make it out of the laundry hamper these days. They get washed, dried and folded. But my “putting away” skills leave much to be desired. The East German judge would probably give me a 3.5.

sybil said:

'Have you got an exercise bike? I have, I find it quite useful for hanging stuff on that I cannot be bothered to put anywhere else.

You offer proof from your own experience that PSA pain doesn’t get worse with exercise (when done appropriately). You hurt before your walk. You hurt after your walk. And in the middle you got a walk, so did the dog, and you saw some sunshine! Glad you dragged yourself out!

TaraLynn said:

My hips were screaming this morning and I wasn’t to sure about getting out for a hike but after a few minutes of hiking my hips actually felt better. I’m not as fast as I once was but we managed to summit a local mountain and enjoy the warmth of the sun for a bit before heading down. My hips are screaming again now…but it felt so good get out

I feel bad for mine because she isn’t getting walked much. But in this weather sh would much prefer to snuggle up than romp around outside. She seems pretty happy to only nip out to the back yard for her business then come right back in. It is supposed to reach 41F this afternoon (we’ll see) and so she may well get a walk on campus.

And I completely understand getting seasonal depression–me too. We just booked a week in the sun and that is partly why. I find winter psychologically hard–always have. And now with PSA it is much tougher on me physically.

Stoney said:

Believe it or not, I got a job walking dogs.

I discovered years ago that if I don’t spend time outside in the winter, I tend towards depression. So whether it’s walking dogs, snowshoeing, etc, I make an effort to get some outside time.

…Being out in such cold weather definitely took it out of me, and I’m still in recovery from it today.

Did it again today...but my body is killing me! I'm thinking this fog is really making me achy...:-( The crazy thing is I swear moving really helps! I may be slow but I'm doing it and absolutely feel better while doing it! Hurts to start and may hurt a bit along the way but nothing compared to not moving.

janeatiu said:

You offer proof from your own experience that PSA pain doesn't get worse with exercise (when done appropriately). You hurt before your walk. You hurt after your walk. And in the middle you got a walk, so did the dog, and you saw some sunshine! Glad you dragged yourself out!

TaraLynn said:

My hips were screaming this morning and I wasn't to sure about getting out for a hike but after a few minutes of hiking my hips actually felt better. I'm not as fast as I once was but we managed to summit a local mountain and enjoy the warmth of the sun for a bit before heading down. My hips are screaming again now...but it felt so good get out

I tend to push through under similar circumstances.

I joined a gym. I’m making myself go twice a week and I formed a walking group with my patients. We go walk at the mall 2 days a week. It’s still cold, dark and dreary but my outings make me feel better. I also have roped a couple of the gals that I work with into going to the gym with me. I’m more able to force myself to go knowing that I am accountable to others! My exercise is simple, I just walk on the treadmill, but it really is helping my spirits.

I buy blooming pots of bulbs from the store, to put in a place I see them the most (currently my bedroom). The bright colors and flowers of spring REALLY cheer me up.

Yes--in my house we always have cut flowers in the winter and a friend gave us an amaryllis this year which has been blooming for weeks. Oh, and candles. Lots of candles. We left up the lighted garland around the window after the holidays as it really brightens up the room!

Marietta said:

I buy blooming pots of bulbs from the store, to put in a place I see them the most (currently my bedroom). The bright colors and flowers of spring REALLY cheer me up.

I had a hard time taking down the Xmas lights this year, they are so cheerful! I think I will go pick up some blooming plants. This is an excellent idea! Hopefully, I can keep the cat out of them. She likes blooming plants too…

janeatiu said:

Yes–in my house we always have cut flowers in the winter and a friend gave us an amaryllis this year which has been blooming for weeks. Oh, and candles. Lots of candles. We left up the lighted garland around the window after the holidays as it really brightens up the room!

Marietta said:

Flowers and plants indoors always cheer me up as well ....... if you've got cats, though, you need to take care as lots of plants (and even their pollens eg. lily) are highly toxic to cats as they lack the metabolic pathways to excrete toxins. A good (and trustworthy) list of plants poisonous to cats are on the International Cat Care website:

http://www.icatcare.org/advice/keeping-your-cat-safe/cats-and-poisonous-plants

To stay active in the winter I try to:

- Get outside at least once a day, even if it's just for a walk to the mailbox or to step out my door, take a few breaths of fresh air and feel the sun on my face (or not!) and dash back in.

- Schedule things away from home for at least 3 days a week. We have worship on Sunday morning (and Coffee & Conversation for me, where I get to talk to other adults for 45 minutes, valuable time for a homeschooling mom of five!), Tuesday Night Sunday School on Tuesday nights, and homeschool co-op on Fridays.

- I try to move around as much as I can at home: doing yoga or tai chi (especially with the kids), playing on the Wii with the kids, doing housework, reorganizing things, etc.

- On sunny days I let the sun stream through the windows and spend as much time looking out, even if I can't GO out. This helps with mood A LOT.

- I take vitamin D supplements as medically indicated, along with B2, B6, and B12, all of which tank for me in the dark months.

- Pets have been a big help for me, especially my cat, Lola, who unfortunately is going to a new home on Wednesday (http://rannygahoots.blogspot.com/2014/01/saying-goodbye.html).

- I walk as much as I can when running errands. I'm a thrift store addict, and there are two within a mile of my house, so I usually go out two mornings a week to go thrift shopping and to the grocery store closest to each thrift store to shop the best deals. If my legs are up to it, I park by the grocery store, walk to the thrift store (in the same shopping plaza in both cases), then back to the grocery store.

- I invite friends over. I think this helps a great deal with both mood and movement. Sometimes we'll make a pot of tea and sit and chat, other times we'll have a "tribal batch cooking" where several friends and their kids come over, the kids play and adults take turns supervising as needed, and we all cut, chop, blend, stir, etc. our way to a big batch of food that we divide up for each family for dinner that night. The kids get to play, the adults get to chat, and dinner is done by the time everyone leaves.

The fact that there have been so many good suggestions for coping tells me that many of us really do struggle through the winter months. If this were pioneer times, I would have been the first one to croak! That or they would have pushed me off a cliff for complaining about the weather. If I had been with the ill-fated Donner Party I'm sure that I would have been eaten first.

Great idea! Flowers always cheer me up! Currently growing celery from the ends of some organic bunches I purchased and just watching it come to life has made the days brighter!

Marietta said:

I have an elliptical I use and it so true you ache before and you ache after! I wish this cold/sinus infection would go away quickly so I can get back on!!! It certainly does help to keep moving thank you!! This was fun!!!

I found a new pleasure...I hit the sauna after deep water exercise. Now that was a nice relief from the frigid temperatures outside.

Oh, my, I can relate to this. I just bit the bullet and joined the YMCA and I am planning on taking the water class, or just walk in the pool. I did a mile on the treadmill today but it took me 30 minutes....I just kept singing the song, Keep On Truckin', Baby!

I hurt whether I walk or not, so I might as well walk and stop living like a potato. You can bet that after my work out, it's back under the heating pad and blankets I go, though !