Gardening, or Whatever You Do For Fun

I love Spring, LOVE IT. I really love gardening. Getting outside of my head and the pain, making something grow. Over the past few years, I wasn't able to garden as much. Just too much pain and fatigue. BUT, this year I am feeling a bit up to it. Planted some flowers to pretty up some older beds and going to grow some tomato plants. I am really excited about it. What do you do to keep your mind busy?

U sound so much like me..

I am going to do that too!! I also make myself.. To do lists. It gives me.. Such a sense of accomplishment...

I was growing a large veggie garden for several years but it got to be too much so I let it go back to lawn. However I still mess around with my flower beds, I even entered some of my hostas in the county fair and won ribbons last summer! I was so excited, haha. Unusual flowers, strange cultivars, it keeps me interested and active. I can't kneel for long periods anymore, so end up having to break up spells of weeding, planting, and slug picking.I also like houseplants, and we have a 3 foot orange (or maybe it's a lemon) tree that was started from a seed. It's fun to grow from seeds, I have some kumquat seeds that I'm gonna try growing, they only grow 8 feet high outside and can be kept smaller in pots.

Crochet is a big way I keep myself occupied, mind and hands. I learned everything for stitches and the like online, yay internet! It's a good way to keep busy inside in crappy weather.

Spring seems a long way away!

Omg spring already? I would say we're usually safe to plant seeds or started plants outdoors by mid to late May! A long time ago (before I had kids) I'd start flowers and some vegetables inside around April 1st so they'd be ready to transplant outside after the last frost around June 1st. We're still in the dead of winter here--and getting tired of it real fast! But, if you want to be a Minnesotan, you need to grin and bear it...it's not going to change. Well, that's not all the way true. Our weather is changing due to global climate change, and I'd rather not have that, even if it means warmer temperatures here. :-( Glad to hear you're able to enjoy gardening!

Well it's unofficially spring here. We have spring like weather for 5 days then temperatures around freezing for 2 or 3. After a few months of this, it becomes screaming hot!! That's gulf coast Texas for you.

I think I am going to grow some tomatoes in large whiskey barrels instead of the raised bed. It seems easier for me. I ordered a strawberry pot, the kind with lots of wholes. My son, who is 4, loves to grow strawberries. Though none of them end up in the house :)

To get ''out of my head" I spend time with my ponies. It is good physical activity and they HAVE to be tended to. So I have to move, whether I want to or not. Sort of like forced physical therapy. And I love them.

I garden a bit too. Mostly container gardens. Nothing like a flower to make you smile.

Wow, ponies would be nice. I always wanted to take in older horses who need homes, out to pasture type living. Maybe later in life. Right now we live in the burbs with no land. Good for the kiddo but not horses :)

amielynn, my ponies are older! Two are geriatric. The oldest is 33. He has wonky teeth and a little arthritis himself. We feed him mash 6 times a day and all the hay he can "gum down" He is on an anti-inflammatory too. His works a whole lot better than mine does :) !

I bet!! Though it sounds like he is with someone who understands. And that makes all the difference.