Anyone else have PsA and endometriosis?

Hi everyone,
Just seeing if any other PsA sufferers here have endometriosis? There is currently research suggesting a genetic link between the two and also with other auto-immune diseases and I was wondering if there are many women here with the same conditions as me. I have noticed my endometriosis seems to flair up during PsA flares also… I also wanted to hear from women in my position to see how they are coping with the two at once. Hope everyone is remaining Positve,
Regards,
Kelly :slight_smile:

Interesting. I've never heard of a link. But that doesn't seem too surprising either.

I know I have it in some degree,it can’t be bad though because I never knew until I got my tubes tied. I have no idea what’s going on in there right now because I started going through menopause prematurely.

1 Like

I had endometriosis but it was not diagnosed until I was in my thirties. I had noticed I had rough periods and 800mg of Ibuprofen really helped. I had my son at 40 and had gone through menopause by 43. I was not diagnosed with PsA until I was 53 though I had had it for decades perhaps since birth. So I never "knowingly" dealt with both but I did find Ibuprofen worked well for both!

1 Like

Yes it is interesting that the primary problem with both is inflammation and that the same drugs are used.

Hi, I have PCOS (polycystic ovary syndrome) and the horrendous period I had were always put down to that and as I often didn’t have periods for up to year at times, I didn’t worry too much. When my periods became regular ( about 6-7"years ago)the problem was worse and my bowel became affected as well and my GP suspected endometriosis. I couldn’t walk at times as the pain was so severe in my bowel it was comparable to labour. The answer for me was the mirena device which has basically stopped my periods over night and vastly improved my Hb level and quality of life. When I started on meloxicam both my migraines and endometriosis were improved especially my migraines…so, is it all connected…who knows but it wouldn’t surprise me :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi Kelly,

I'm sorry you have one more thing to deal with. Especially if they are linked. It's an interesting observation. I hadn't heard of it before. A little concerning since my mom had endometriosis....she's always been concerned with me possibly ending up with it.

If the meds are the same that's definitely a plus....looking on the brighter side, it's not adding new meds to your routine.

This was a discussion a long time ago. There are a large number of women on this group who have had hysterectomy procedures related to endometriosis.

I had a supracervical laparoscopic hysterectomy in 2012. Best. Decision. Ever.

I had them leave the ovaries, but I think I am having hysterectomy induced menopause anyway.

hi

i was diagnosed with endometriosis about 3 years ago and it took me a year to make a decision to have hysterectomy.

to my doctor's surprise during the surgery she discovered that my ovaries are worth saving. anyway, today i am period free :):):), however i still have my PMS and i do believe that the surgery was the best decision i made.

in my case, since i am allergic to NSAIDs, not having my uterus is a blessing, having PsA is a pain in the you know where :)

and yes, i noticed that during this wonderful fertile period my PsA is getting worse. even now, after the surgery one time per month my body just go crazy: my joints are killing me, my skin is pilling, i am swollen, barely can move, plus i have chocolate cravings. so how bad it can be?

Hi angel, so sorry to hear you had to have a hysterectomy, but so glad to hear its helped!! I’m seriously thinking of having my uterus removed and leaving my ovaries but I haven’t had children and not 100% sure I don’t want to have them so I am going to wait a while until I know for sure… I imagine a gynaecologist won’t want to do a partial hysterectomy as I am only 29. Yes, my PsA is definitely worse when I get my period. I have had my endo mostly removed and a mirena put in a year ago but I have started getting my period again in the last 3 months and my PsA has gotten worse since then. Are you also on Mtx?

1 Like

Yes and no. I was taking mtx for few years and this July my doc decided to stop it, because I was doing very well. Of course I was. It was summer. I spent my time in pool, floating and tanning :slight_smile: now, however, my psa is progressing in scary speed. Barely can move. I want my pills back. I’m trying to be positive but I hate my condition, specially after feeling like I was never sick. Anyway, I promise myself that psa is not going to dictate how I live.

By the way, 29 is waaaay to young for hysterectomy. Wait, see how endometriosis is progressing, talk to your gyn doc…not having uterus is a big decision. Even if you are 40 :slight_smile:

I know this is an old thread but I have endometriosis and PsA and had been wondering if there was any sort of connection so I was looking for posts on here.

I had a tubal ligation a year and half ago during a c-section for my third child. Most of my symptoms for PsA began after that. And I’ve been wondering if it was because of the tubal. I’ve read about post tubal ligation syndrome. The symptoms seem to be all the same that I have. I’m sure my dr. Won’t think it’s that but I’m going to ask him about it anyway.

Hey @Mwitt.
I was diagnosed with endometriosis in my 20’s. “Diagnosed” with PsA in my early 40’s but really had no problems until after my hysterectomy this past February. I believe (and researched) that a surgery causes a kind of trauma to our bodies and our bodies respond like it’s under attack, hence the inflammation and in turn the pain and damage caused by the inflammation.
(I put diagnosed in parentheses because it was a family doctor that diagnosed me and I’ve never seen
a rheumatologist.) I
It would be interesting if hear what your rheumatologist says about it.

1 Like

I’ll definitely be talking to him about it and I’ll let you know what I come up with!

I agree surgery certainly takes a toll on the body!
3 c-sections did me in :crazy_face:

1 Like

Not endometriosis related but my PsA hit me like a 10 ton truck after surgery for a necessary bunion correction operation. I’m certain that if your immune system has to work at anything like healing from an operation, if it’s abnormal enough, it can then go haywire and cause an autoimmune condition.

2 Likes

I was diagnosed with endometriosis when I was 15. My psoriatic arthritis has only been diagnosed last August. But I feel I have suffered with it since 2003 without diagnosis. Just putting it down to wear and tear on my knee with no real cause. It wasn’t until I saw an orthopaedic surgeon last year that the process of diagnosis came about. My endo is well and truly under control now so it isn’t an issue, but it is interesting that I have both conditions.