Antibiotic Treatment Update (Copy from Blog)

Hi all,

Sorry I haven't been on much but it is because I am doing really well and not on the forum very often these days.

In my last blog post I mentioned I was due to have a Biopsy to test for Celiac. This came up negative which is good I guess in that I can eliminate gluten finally as a trigger for me.

I have had more recent bloods and all are completely normal with CRP and ESR below any detectable level.

I have been getting into bike riding over the last 4 months and a few weeks ago completed a 90km bike ride to raise money for Multiple Sclerosis patient care.

The cycling is really agreeing with me. My legs have built up the muscle and strength that was lost in the 12 months prior, particularly when I had a massively swollen knee.

My flexibility continues to improve, I had a professional set up done on the bike with a sports physiologist as I was worried about causing further issues with knees or hips and he commented that my flexibility was the best he had seen in some time.

12 months ago my flexibility was awful but now the inflammation has reduced my muscles feel looser and stretching actually feels good now!

I also have great news in that my wife is 11 weeks pregnant!

This is another thing I would not have achieved with the standard MTX treatment.

I am still taking slow release Naproxen on average 3 days a week, but I have periods where I go 4-5 days without it with absolutely no pain.

The only area where I still get the pain is my foot. My hips, jaw, knee and shoulders are totally pain free now without NSAIDs.

I feel the best I have been for at least 4 years and feel like I am steadily improving.

I know many of you will dismiss the antibiotic treatment as quackery, but I am just so happy with where my life is heading now on this treatment and the only reason I am putting my blog up is out of a responsibility to share information on this safe and effective treatment.

I apologise I probably miss most of your posts and I wish I could support you more but if you have any questions about the antibiotic treatment I am more than happy to answer as best I can.

Dave

I don't think most consider it quackery - by itself. there are a small group who think the disease despite overwhelming evidence to the contrary is strictly bacterial. The evidence shows that Minocycline is effective as a DMRD (at least with RA, the PsA testing studies are not complete - doesn't mean it isn't being used sucessfuly with PsA)

The quackery comes from support groups such as KickAS who believe that NSAIDS contribute to the problem. Or that there are any other number of co-conditions that cause it or that all of these conditions have a common cause that is treatable with anti-biotics.

Apparently you are not in that group or you would be gluten free despite the tests..... You would also not be taking any NSAIDS - ever (they make the gut leak.)

DMRDS are used in conjunction with NSAIDS and occasional steroid treatments VERY succesfully for most treatments. There are a number of DMRDS of which MTX is only one. Keep in mind the vast majority of people using MTX have few to no side effects and good treatment results, and never move to the biologics. Minocycline is a newer one in common use and it has a number of uses beyond the basic antibiotic but then the other DMRDS have uses beyond treating inflammatory disease.

What is interesting is there are now groups claiming assorted STD's cause PsA along Lymes disease (as well as other tick borne diseases) skin diseases such as MRSA etc. and even peridontal diseases and acne. I find it interesting because these are all diseases treated with Minocycline.

HOWEVER there are a few problems with the antibiotic thing. First if it is a bacterial disease antibiotics should cure it. If not then they will become ineffective in time. After all once the bugs are gone the havoc they cause should leave with them. Of course if the bugs alter the immune system and cause all these problems then even if they leave the building, the damage remains and we are back to treating the immune system. Empirical research/evidence is what it is. In this case its what we see. Whether Minocycline is effective because it is an antibiotic or DMRD depending on observations of it in the 80's BEFORE DMRD's were understood or later obersrvation when theywere is irrelevent. It works for some people

I am glad its working for you what ever the reason. Please keep us posted.

I understand you do a lot of research and appear to be well educated on the disease and treatments. I personally most likely do not know as much as you on the topic but I would like to add the following information as food for thought.

Dr Brown spent a lifetime doing research as well as being a practising Rheumy.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thomas_McPherson_Brown

Here are some facts from his and other Scientists studies which are all referenced in the book I have mentioned.

The mycoplasma has been isolated from synovial fluid of arthritic joints and transferred across to other animals and induced arthritis symptoms on the other animal. That alone blows apart the "auto immune disease" mechanism theory in my opinion as being the cause of the disease. The antibiotic treatment works on other animals with inflammatory arthritis. Google mycoplasma and arthritis and you will find a lot of information about animals. Logically if we were to have a mycoplasma infection as a human it would have some sort of similar effect.

Mycoplasma itself is not just a simple bacteria that is easily killed within a few weeks of antibiotic treatment. It is very difficult to reliably isolate with blood testing. It has been shown to sometimes be protected by a biofilm and be able to migrate and hide in the body and be resistant to antibiotic treatment, hence the long term and ongoing antibiotic treatment.

Some of the websites you mention have information from people like me who are not highly trained medical professionals, but they have their own experiences.

Logically for me NSAIDS can cause a lot of stomach problems over the longer term. If you have food sensitivities which result in gut inflammation then I can see logic in the combination causing more damage than to someone with a healthy gut. Which is why I went for scientific testing to ensure the food allergy type thing is not part of my puzzle, but I am certain it is for some.

Even within the Antibiotic treatment world there are two distinct theories being the "lumpers" and "splitters". The lumpers believe all arthritic types (except osteo of course) originate from a mycoplasma infection and can be treated with tetracyclines. You will see they just simply refer to Rheumatoid Arthritis for all the arthritis types. The "splitters" believe each type of arthritis is from certain mycoplasma/bacteria types in combination with genetics and environment of the person.

We know that a person with a HLAB27 genes most certainly can get reaction from an STD or other infection throughout the body as shown in reactive arthritis.

There is a lot of controversy regarding Lyme Disease for example, which has been proven to be from a borrelia from ticks. There are several different strains found. Obviously it is treated with antibiotics, but there is a lot of controversy regarding the long term treatment with antibiotics and most treating doctors are either being sued or closing their practices due to complaints from insurance companies. Anyway very political but Lyme disease is not always resolved within two weeks which is what the guidelines state, so doctors can be sued or licenses revoked if they do not obey. (In the USA). The bacteria in question has been proven to be a combination of different bacteria and mycoplasmas and proven resistant at times to initial antibiotic treatment.

I encourage everyone to watch a documentary called "under our skin" on Lyme disease.

My belief is that although the DMARDs and Biologics which most certainly provide wonderful relief from the symptoms and slow down joint destruction are not looking addressing the root cause of the disease or getting us any closer to a cure. So again I am not anti drugs, but I believe that they are not addressing the cause of the disease.

As a very oversimplified model, I believe that Inflammatory arthritis is a response a a mycoplasma/virus in which due to our genetic predisposition triggers the inflammatory response. The mycoplasma can lay dormant for years or decades but be triggered when encountering another infection, stress etc or other things observed which seemed to trigger flares. Similar to an allergy where most persons can be exposed and have no reaction but others react in a multitude of different ways. Instead of suppressing the immune system as a whole, killing the mycoplasma responsible and therefore lowering the inflammatory response is closer to a root cause than suppressing the immune system and therefore inflammatory response alone.

I am open to learn more and I may change my mind totally on this model as I learn more. I hope someone does prove me wrong and find a cure.

It isnt our job as patients to find the cure!

I strongly urge you to find a copy of The New Arthritis Breakthrough and come back to me with flaws in his methodology as I cannot go into detail or spend the time referencing it correctly.

I encourage these healthy debates/discussions on the different treatment types, that's what these forums are for to help us all learn how to manage this disease as best we can.

tntlamb said:

I don't think most consider it quackery - by itself. there are a small group who think the disease despite overwhelming evidence to the contrary is strictly bacterial. The evidence shows that Minocycline is effective as a DMRD (at least with RA, the PsA testing studies are not complete - doesn't mean it isn't being used sucessfuly with PsA)

The quackery comes from support groups such as KickAS who believe that NSAIDS contribute to the problem. Or that there are any other number of co-conditions that cause it or that all of these conditions have a common cause that is treatable with anti-biotics.

Apparently you are not in that group or you would be gluten free despite the tests..... You would also not be taking any NSAIDS - ever (they make the gut leak.)

DMRDS are used in conjunction with NSAIDS and occasional steroid treatments VERY succesfully for most treatments. There are a number of DMRDS of which MTX is only one. Keep in mind the vast majority of people using MTX have few to no side effects and good treatment results, and never move to the biologics. Minocycline is a newer one in common use and it has a number of uses beyond the basic antibiotic but then the other DMRDS have uses beyond treating inflammatory disease.

What is interesting is there are now groups claiming assorted STD's cause PsA along Lymes disease (as well as other tick borne diseases) skin diseases such as MRSA etc. and even peridontal diseases and acne. I find it interesting because these are all diseases treated with Minocycline.

HOWEVER there are a few problems with the antibiotic thing. First if it is a bacterial disease antibiotics should cure it. If not then they will become ineffective in time. After all once the bugs are gone the havoc they cause should leave with them. Of course if the bugs alter the immune system and cause all these problems then even if they leave the building, the damage remains and we are back to treating the immune system. Empirical research/evidence is what it is. In this case its what we see. Whether Minocycline is effective because it is an antibiotic or DMRD depending on observations of it in the 80's BEFORE DMRD's were understood or later obersrvation when theywere is irrelevent. It works for some people

I am glad its working for you what ever the reason. Please keep us posted.

grateful to you both for the healthy--and civil--discourse. I am learning more in this site than i could have ever imagined.

I have two doctors who want me to go on the antibiotic treatment and my rhumey is not one of them. I am still investigating it but I am currently doing well with my enbrel and methodextrate treatment that I am not willing to change anything.

I'm considering finding a new rheumy. . . . On my list of "alternative" treatments to discuss, this is one to throw out there. I want to find somebody who I can work with, which is not what I really have right now.

Mycoplasma was first isolated in 1980. (rather significant if you think about it) CDC studies have shown that Minocycline is a very ineffective antibiotic against it. Again while Minocycline is shown to be effective, it is because of its DMRD effect not antibiotic.

tntlamb I disagree to those statements, I am not sure where you got this information. Please see a response below (With references)

Mycoplasma was first isolated in 1898!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mycoplasma

Minocycline and Doxycycline are proven to be effective against Mycoplasmas.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/3937130

Also for reference

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC86027/

Note that mycoplasma was found in joints of 88% of people with non-rheumatoid arthritis. only 1 out of 2 with Psoriatic Arthritis. If you read about the challenges in reliably extracting Mycoplasma for testing purposes then it makes these results extraordinary.

http://www.biomedcentral.com/1471-2474/3/15

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/art.1780360717/abstract

This information was achieved in a 5 minute google.

Again I am no expert, but surely this Mycoplasma concept raises more questions and should not be dismissed so quickly.

The Genus Mycoplasm was indeed found in 1898. The first mycoplasm Genomes were a group of diseases found in Cattle. Their later were literally THOUSANDS of Genomes discovered doing all manner of tasks (some good some bad) The Genomes we are most concerned with were isolated starting in 1980 The primary being of the parsitic types thought to be the cause of Gulf war syndrome, fatigue disease, and yes inflammatory arthritis.

"Mycoplasm" by it self covers a HUGE range of organisms many necessary cell division, digestion, etc. Part of the difficulty with blaming "Mycoplasm" is that its like blaming "air" They all throughout our bodies. Not all are pathogenic.In fact not all are even bacteria.

Nobody is dismissing mycoplasm, but 5 minute google search leaves out a lot more information than it includes. but the (I believe) question is the use of Minocyline (and other tetracyclines) as a treatment. They are NOT effective against many Mycloplam bacteria strains ansd for those that are require dosages much higher in concentration than 5 mg, and certainly not against mycplasm viruses.

Its been "dismissed" because no study has confirmed it OR itentified any strain of mycoplasm, going back to the 1950s. They have found just a few years ago a link between the effect of Minocycline on RA due to an effect on the Immune System RA patients exhibit a higher than normal concentration of higher than normal concentration of Mycoplasma fermentans BUT only in the Synocial fluid. Oral antibiotrics would have little effect there. Beside a study of the effect of them on Mycoplasma fermentans, found the fermentas strain to be resistent, "maintenence Doses would tend to make the PROBLEM WORSE not better.

http://jmm.sgmjournals.org/content/42/6/421.full.pdf

The other studies you site involve the discovery of Mycoplasma fermentans and the treatment of walking Pneumonia (also caused by one of many many Mycoplasma - of which only 70% were effected)

Two of the more recent "developments in the mycoplasm theory involve those coming from lymes disease and and a recently discovered venereal disease.

There has been a bacterial with some forms of arthritis link going back to the 50's. Those forms can be recognized quickly by culture

I am not sure why we are so concerned with the genomes isolated starting in 1980 with regards to being the cause of inflammatory arthritis which has been around for thousands of years. In saying that there seems to be relevance to the other diseases you mentioned with Mycoplasma types. I am not sure what your point was with this comment?

Yes there are many types of Mycoplasma in the body. Mycoplasma Fermentans is one of the types implicated. Mycoplasma Fermentans was in fact first isolated in 1950. Does that mean it came into existence then? Of course not, it would have been around for thousands of years undetected.

I have already linked how tetracyclines are effective on Mycoplasma Fermentans.

Antibiotics do reach the synovial fluid, I am not sure how you found they don't?

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/2377858 (Note that tetracycline is of course not the antibiotic of choice for Reactive arthritis from Chlamydia but this study shows that effective concentrations were found in the synovial joint)

I have not heard of anyone taking a 5mg Minocycline tablet to treat arthritis. Most people on Antibiotic Protocol take between 50-200mg per day, most take it only on Mon-Wed-Friday. The pulsing method is referred to elsewhere if you seek explanation on that.

Are you are saying that no study has confirmed mycoplasma strains in arthritis yet we are here discussing some of the studies readily available implicating it.

"Furthermore, there is undisputed and convincing evidence for the involvement of mycoplasmas in arthritis in immunocompromised individuals" Ref: Oxford Rheumatology Journal.

You have not responded to a proven fact that Mycoplasma can be isolated and injected into a joint and induce arthritis?

I agree, maybe due to some immune system issue with us that the Mycoplasma concentration is higher with us than a normal person without Arthritis. Maybe you are right in that the tetracyclines are not effective in eliminating all the Mycoplasma Fermentans, but they do reduce the numbers and improve patients quality of life with minimal side effects. Antibiotic research seems have diminished greatly, in the last 25 years only 2 new antibiotics have been developed! Maybe there is a better one that can be designed that can target the Mycoplasma in question. Mycoplasma is not as black and white as a normal bacteria, it is transient and can appear and disappear with regards to testing. Some theories are that it is the antigen that lingers undetectable after the Mycoplasma is not which causes the inflammatory reaction.

"The other studies you site involve the discovery of Mycoplasma fermentans and the treatment of walking Pneumonia (also caused by one of many many Mycoplasma - of which only 70% were effected)"

I can pretty much guarantee that if this same study on the same people were done again there would be totally different results, maybe much higher or lower. I can't begin to explain the lack of repeatability or reliability in detecting the mycoplasma within the body. It can be very elusive to detect. It is nearly impossible to get a false positive but false negatives are more common than not.

Mycoplasma may possibly be the secondary issue but either way if Mycoplasma concentrations are higher than normal then it will have its own negative effects on the health of the person and needs to be addressed.

It is not like we are taking a broad spectrum antibiotic like penicillin, there are plenty of stronger antibiotics in the bank for more serious infections. A look at the alternatives and the DMARDS and Immunosuppressants make us more susceptible to infection in their nature anyway.

None of the treatments are perfect, but we need to keep an open mind for causes, triggers and other methods in controlling and hopefully one day curing this disease.

tntlamb said:

The Genus Mycoplasm was indeed found in 1898. The first mycoplasm Genomes were a group of diseases found in Cattle. Their later were literally THOUSANDS of Genomes discovered doing all manner of tasks (some good some bad) The Genomes we are most concerned with were isolated starting in 1980 The primary being of the parsitic types thought to be the cause of Gulf war syndrome, fatigue disease, and yes inflammatory arthritis.

"Mycoplasm" by it self covers a HUGE range of organisms many necessary cell division, digestion, etc. Part of the difficulty with blaming "Mycoplasm" is that its like blaming "air" They all throughout our bodies. Not all are pathogenic.In fact not all are even bacteria.

Nobody is dismissing mycoplasm, but 5 minute google search leaves out a lot more information than it includes. but the (I believe) question is the use of Minocyline (and other tetracyclines) as a treatment. They are NOT effective against many Mycloplam bacteria strains ansd for those that are require dosages much higher in concentration than 5 mg, and certainly not against mycplasm viruses.

Its been "dismissed" because no study has confirmed it OR itentified any strain of mycoplasm, going back to the 1950s. They have found just a few years ago a link between the effect of Minocycline on RA due to an effect on the Immune System RA patients exhibit a higher than normal concentration of higher than normal concentration of Mycoplasma fermentans BUT only in the Synocial fluid. Oral antibiotrics would have little effect there. Beside a study of the effect of them on Mycoplasma fermentans, found the fermentas strain to be resistent, "maintenence Doses would tend to make the PROBLEM WORSE not better.

http://jmm.sgmjournals.org/content/42/6/421.full.pdf

The other studies you site involve the discovery of Mycoplasma fermentans and the treatment of walking Pneumonia (also caused by one of many many Mycoplasma - of which only 70% were effected)

Two of the more recent "developments in the mycoplasm theory involve those coming from lymes disease and and a recently discovered venereal disease.

There has been a bacterial with some forms of arthritis link going back to the 50's. Those forms can be recognized quickly by culture

A concentration of 5 mg was put directly on the culture. The reactive arthritis from chlamidyia is exactly the point. The 1980 discoveries were the form of mycoplasm that causes chlamydia among other types of venereal disease and are the very ones that are not as you said responding to minocycline. The 1980's studies and discoveries were significant because when the NIH did its studies in 1973, although thee found mycoplasm in synocvial fluid when cultured (and it took a ferw trys to find a media that they would culture in, also significant, they were confuses because it wa the same genones found in the genito-urinary tract of both arthritis sufferes and NON-ARTHRITiS sufferers.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1006109/?page=7

They have caused all manner of "arthritis" in mice by messing with their synovial fluid and introducing different things. Think of Synovial fluid as "oil" in your car. It gets "dirty" its all over. Oneof the ways they determine what "kind" arthritis of several hundred known kinds is synovial fluid analysis. The problem is that none of Dr. Browns results can be duplicated on a consistent basis. He makes an observation whjich is inescapable . Or is it? The rises in the east and sets in the west... The sky is blue.......

Now the unpredictability of antibiotics penetrating the synovial body without aspiration is pretty well known. hweres one of many studies: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/6830326 (This one is concerning itself with septic arthritis and the need for measuring the actual amount of antibiotic in the synovial cavity)

Now aside from everybody turning blue. I want to caution ANYONE who can find a willing doc to make sure they haven't got gut problems..... It kills the natural flora, for a celiac this could cause all kinds of problems.

Like I say there have been those who respond to the use of Minocycline, its effect on the production of a number of proteins (DMARD) has been measured. Response is about 50% (a little lower than other DMARDS)

This study: http://rheumatology.oxfordjournals.org/content/40/12/1355.full has some rather intresting results. Including an almost zero occurence of mycoplasm in OA, and PsA patients and only 17% occuence (unless a certain STD is present.) in RA patients. It also addresses the effect in animals....

I dont want to get into a debate over which antibiotic is the best for which venereal disease, that is not my point. Although relevant for Reactive arthritis, it has nothing to do with Mycoplasma fermentans as previously discussed.

Ok so we agree injecting Mycoplasma in a joint or blood can induce a migrating inflammatory arthritis (Not reactive bacterial infection) in a whole manner of animals which had previously had no sign of arthritis.

You are probably right mycoplasma would have no effect on humans and should not be investigated further :)

That is where the further studies are required, it seems to lay dormant in some, become undetectable for periods, react immediately for others etc. There are an immeasurable amount of variables to reproduce these results.

Now aside from everybody turning blue. I want to caution ANYONE who can find a willing doc to make sure they haven't got gut problems..... It kills the natural flora, for a celiac this could cause all kinds of problems.

Great point, don't just rely on advice from myself or other forums on antibiotic treatment. You should consult a doctor who has a full knowledge of your individual medical history to ensure it is safe for you.

If you launch into a high dosage you can get a very bad Jarisch-Herxheimer reaction which may seem like you are getting worse on the treatment.

When Dr Brown established his treatment plan, probiotics were not available, but are recommended to be taken to ensure stomach bacteria balance is maintained. But if you are a celiac or have other issues they may not be compatible with you so again check with your Doctor.

Now the unpredictability of antibiotics penetrating the synovial body without aspiration is pretty well known. hweres one of many studies: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/6830326 (This one is concerning itself with septic arthritis and the need for measuring the actual amount of antibiotic in the synovial cavity)

I only brought this up because you stated they could not penetrate synovial fluid. Even in this article, it again shows they do pentrate, with varied success for different antibiotic classes but the point was that it should be measured for effectiveness for the staph infection.

This study: http://rheumatology.oxfordjournals.org/content/40/12/1355.full has some rather intresting results. Including an almost zero occurence of mycoplasm in OA, and PsA patients and only 17% occuence (unless a certain STD is present.) in RA patients. It also addresses the effect in animals....

Each study gets varied results in detecting the mycoplasma, As stated before, some studies find 80% have mycoplasma, some find 17%, but all of them are finding higher mycoplasma amounts in those with an inflammatory arthritis than those without. It is not implicated in Osteo Arthritis at all consistently. Is that a primary cause or is it a secondary problem due to a compromised immune system? These are the real questions to ask.

If mycoplasma was easily detectable in normal pathology then it would be much more simple to either prove or disprove. The migratory, stealth like nature makes these studies so obviously inconsistent as well as proving the effectiveness of any treatment with Antibiotics.

Some studies show a 50% response for minocycline (After 6 months). It is not expected to have great improvement even within the first 12 months. I would encourage finding results for 2 years or more. Hence this is why it is not seen to be effective as it does take much longer to work than standard DMARDS in most cases. I would love to see longer term studies such as 5 years shown for all types of treatments.

tntlamb, I am interested on what you believe is the cause of PsA and the best treatment? (I don't expect you to know of course, but if you believe in an alternative theory then I am interested)

What is clear is that Minocycline is effective as a DMARD, everything else is a craps shoot (BTW I shoot a lot of of craps)

Cause? Heredity is number one.....

Best treatment? What works.Keep your options open. BUT NO TREATMENT works for anyone sitting on the pity pot and concentrating on their pain. Unless you fight this disease with every fiber of your being. by watching your diet, taking your meds on time every time, working past and ignoring side effects unless they are worse than the disease itself, exercise and move everyday, stretch every 20 minutes, and don't worry if you turn blue. You need to take care of yourself, find plenty of time to relax (but never be idle) Realize you are at the end of the day in this alone, no one can carry the load but you. Stress is your worst enemy. Narcs are next. A flare is a skirmish not the war, it can't take away your routine, or you retreat and things get worse. Pain Control IS NOT and NEVER will be disease control. The disease can be destroying your joints and organs, while you pop pills and drink health tea. Pain is seperate and not always there, when the disease is.

YOUR SUCCESS, Dave has as much to do with your resolve to beat this as it does with antibiotics.

I do better with low startch/carbs and low gluten (iIm not celiac)