Another NSAID question

I have read recently about nsaids which are less problematic to the stomach, COX-2 inhibitors. Whereas the traditional nsaids inhibit both COX 1 and 2 (COX-1 can help protect the stomach) so I’m wondering if these maybe beneficial to long term users such as PsA suffers.
Does anyone have experience of these different nsaids and can shed some light?

Hi, I can say that my doc put me on Meloxicam for that specific reason. He felt it would be better on my stomach as a COX-2 inhibitor. Regarding the long term use, it's said that there is a greater tolerability, but I guess time will tell.

I was on Celebrex for a year or so. I found at the 200 mg dose it did not help my pain much. I went back to Naproxene 500 mg twice a day as it worked better for me. I also take Protonix twice a day to protect my stomach. I had a nasty bought of esophageal spasms during a particularly grinding heat wave. My insurance would not pay for 400 mg of Celebrex a day unless it was taken once a day, not 200 mg twice a day. I found 400 mg did not work as well as 200 mg twice a day and bothered my stomach some what. I find Naproxene (Aleve) 500 mg and Tylenol 1000 mg twice a day works as well for me as Vicodin did. I also take Flexeril at bed time. I hope you find the magical combination for you!

Thanks guys, I’m finding the meloxicam I have been using for sometime is not as effective anymore, even though my doc has doubled the dose. Just wanted to get some insights from this site as I’m due to see my rheumatologist in a few weeks. :slight_smile:

Michael, if you don't mind me asking. Are you still taking the Protonix? I ask because I always have in the back of my head about making sure I am taking care of my stomach.

michael in vermont said:

I was on Celebrex for a year or so. I found at the 200 mg dose it did not help my pain much. I went back to Naproxene 500 mg twice a day as it worked better for me. I also take Protonix twice a day to protect my stomach. I had a nasty bought of esophageal spasms during a particularly grinding heat wave. My insurance would not pay for 400 mg of Celebrex a day unless it was taken once a day, not 200 mg twice a day. I found 400 mg did not work as well as 200 mg twice a day and bothered my stomach some what. I find Naproxene (Aleve) 500 mg and Tylenol 1000 mg twice a day works as well for me as Vicodin did. I also take Flexeril at bed time. I hope you find the magical combination for you!

Make sure the doctor puts you on something for your stomach to protect it. I would ask for Prilosec (omeprizole) or something similar. Don't take NSAIDS on an empty stomach and stop taking if you ever feel pain in your stomach. I have read a lot about these cox 2 inhibitors and they are all pretty much the same. They can cause damage to your stomach as well. Even though a nurse told me they are not supposed to I read warnings that they can on all the web sites for each drug. Some people have had better experiences with certain ones over others and the same ones that someone switched to that made them feel better might be the one that hurts someone else... each person has a different experience.

Yep, we’re all so different so have different experiences with drugs as well as with PsA. I’m taking Omeprazole as well

in 2010 I had Gastritis from being upped on Naproxen... They had me all the way up to 1000mg a day! I also forgot about this but, when I was a teenager, I had slammed my thumb in my car door locked and had to go to the hospital. I lost the nail and they gave me Tylenol #3 with codein. I took it with food and I had never had any drugs like this before and within a week I was passing out at work and sick to my stomach. My mom took me to the hospital when I threw up purple stuff. They said I was bleeding internally and had to pump my stomach. Seems pretty extreme but, that happened. Another drug that hurt me pretty bad was Erythromycin - which is an antibiotic. So pretty much I just never take anything except maybe a Tylenol but, it doesn't really help. I use a heating pad and menthol rub and that's it. I have my appointment with the Rheumatologist in September and I can't wait.