Naproxen Vs. Celebrex?

Hi guys,

So we are doing a med switch- but the main thing I wanted to ask is : Did anyone else find that they could not go off naproxen ( I am also on Methotrexate and now Leuflemon...) without a flare?

I asked to be on a CO2 Inhibitor because it is supposed to be WAY easier on the GI system. I was taking 2 x 500mg a day of naproxen and she put me on 1 x 200mg of celebrex a day.

I could tell within hours- stuck it out for 4 days and then limped through my kids cross country ski class and knew it was not working. Anyone else have this happen?

I am wondering if the Co2 inhibitors were NOT as efficient with PSA OR if the dosage from naproxen to the celebrex is not comparable.. thoughts?

I've switched NSAIDs many times. But I actually haven't done Celebrex or any cox2 inhibitor. I don't think you can do a direct comparison of dosage rates. I'm wondering though, since it is a complete change of med, do you need to give it a week or so to build up? Just wondering.

My experience is only with Celebrex, not taking any NSAIDs at the moment. Celebrex completely eliminated the pain in my feet for 4-5 weeks and then stopped working - maybe because the disease progressed? That was in May 2012 and PsA was only affecting my feet. I haven't taken it since. My Mother had the same experience with Celebrex - it stopped working after awhile when she was taking it for back pain (she doesn't have PsA). She did try it again later and it worked again for a little awhile. If you are taking Celebrex, I think you should look at the long-term side effects.

I have been on Naproxen and celebrex and others off and on for years. I do switch it up when I am having troubles with inflammation but have not noticed any one is better than another. I did find 400 mg of celebrex a day was the best but my doctor will not allow me to stay on it for any length of time. I have had an esophageal spasm in the past due to NSAID and pain so I am more careful now. I also take protonix twice a day. Good luck; the NSAID are important but need good management to decrease the side effects.

Stoney- I did ask my Rheumy if I needed to "give it time" to build up in my system etc. She said no-. So has the decline was fairly rapid and immobility increasing, I wanted to stop sliding down the slippery slope sort of speak.

Thanks for responses and tips. So appreciate it- and it's great to hear from others their experiences good or bad about all of this- Dr's, meds and all.