Looking for some advice

My PsA first started in my left hand a few years ago and now due to recent problems it is in my right hand. I was put on Mtx which i could not continue to take and in December I started Sulfa meds.

About a month ago, the PsA moved into my left foot and the doc put me on Naproxen. Now my left foot is improving but I woke this morning with some new pains in my right foot. Now my right hand hurts much of the time, my left not so much. My left bad hand has now become my good hand, which isn't saying a whole lot.

I don't have to tell you how this makes me feel. I'm sure some of you have had similar experience.

I'm wondering, how long should I go on with Naproxen before deciding that it may not be enough? Does this mean it is spreading and should I be asking the doc about this?

I am concerned since my next appointment isn't until December. I don't want to wait too long to figure out that this isn't working for me. I get slight swelling but not the sausage effect sometimes which is how it all first started in my left hand.

I know my job doesn't help and I'm waiting for a start date on a new job but it seems to be taking forever.

I'd really appreciate any suggestions

My rheumy typically gave each new drug he tried me on, a 3 month time frame to work. If it had not worked in 3 months he said it probably wasn't going to. He would then switch me to something else. What I have come to learn is that when you find you are having pain in a new joint it has more then likely been there & you are only now starting to feel it. It sometimes takes awhile for the doctors to find what works on us,as each one of us is so different from the other. I know it is hard to be patient when we are in pain. I am sure your doctor will soon find something that works for you. Sending (hugs) your way. Keep us posted on your progress.

It takes a bit shorter for the NSAIDs to start working, usually within a few weeks or so. There are quite a few NSAIDs, so if one doesn't work for you, there is no reason not to try a different one. I've been on 5 or 6 in the past 6 years. You've been on the sulfa meds long enough for a fair trial. . . .I would make an appointment to review meds, as waiting until December is a long time. I have found that when I have to make an extra appointment I get taken pretty seriously, rather than waiting until my next scheduled appointment.

Hi, Dini

I think that if you are wondering whether to see the doc about this, you probably SHOULD be seeing the doc about this. A lot can happen to your joints in five months. And let’s say the doc decides that you need a change of therapy. It usually takes at least three months for the therapy to start working. Five plus three equals eight. Eight months for PsA to mess around with your joints. If you have a slow moving PsA, no problem. But if yours happens to be a more aggressive form of the disease …

You have nothing to lose by checking with the doc. And you might have something to gain.

Let us know how it goes.

Seenie

It doesn’t hurt to call the nurse. As far as NSAIDs concern, there are better versions for arthritis. Celebrex is one (haed to get approves in the US), but it’s expensive. It take approximately 2 weeks to work.

I hate auto correct head = hard

Hi Dini, I would call with any problems or questions in the beginning. I slowed down calling now due to having somewhat better control of the disease. More recently, i had a flare. Being my first since the onset, I wasn't quite sure if it was in fact a flare so I waited about 2 weeks before calling the doctor. One phone call, same day back on steriods. I am feeling better since I called. I don't see any reason you can't at least call and discuss your situation before you next appointment. At the very least, they will know that you are suffering and hopefully change/add meds to your regimine.

I agree that you have to keep going back at least till you feel you are doing everything you can to fight. After nearly 2 years I am on Enbrel which helped a lot with the back pain. And recently doubled to 200 day and night of Celebrex.I have the first relief in the right arm elbow down. So I am glad I didn’t settle for less. Good luck finding your best treatment

Thanks so much for your thoughts. I had been wondering if maybe I'm having more pain than I should.

I feel like if it's moving to new areas and I'm having new pain, then the meds aren't helping enough. The Naproxen has made it better but not good.

I was fine on the sulfa meds until the end of May...then July was the worst. I know the stress at work isn't helping either.

All this advice is really helpful.