Started leflunomide yesterday

I’ve been taking MTX injections weekly (0.6 cc) since June 2014 & at my last visit with my Rheumy, I told him that I couldn’t deal with the SE of MTX any longer. (Nausea, migraine, terrible fatigue)

I’ve beenoff MTX for 3 weeks. I feel so much better off the MTX just starting to get stiff. I just hope leflunomide works well for inflammation & pain. The MTX worked wonders for my nail psoriasis.

I have a new prescription for Celebrex 100mg 2x daily. I have tried other NSAIDS and cannot tolerate them for extended periods. The Celebrex caused a horrible pain just under my ribcage with the first dose. I felt like I was being stabbed. I take 40mg of Nexium daily to help with stomach sensitivity. To tolerate most NSAIDS, I also take multiple doses of liquid mylanta. I’m not much for taking a med that causes me to needs others meds just to tolerate it.

Does anyone else take leflunomide? How does it work for you?

Also, does anyone else have the same problems with NSAIDS?

NSAIDs are not ment to be taking for long periods. They can really do some damage to the stomach if you’re not monitoring it.

I don’t care for NSAIDs anymore; I have many problems when I take them. I only use them when I must.

I do not take the other drug you are on, but there are a few here that are taking it.

My experience with MTX back in 2012 was the same as yours, ultimately intolerable! I switched to leflunomide starting at just 10mg a day and had no gastro problems at all (my weak point), my bloods were all good and I think it was around week 7 that I started to realise the pain was easing.

I had a fantastic three or four months of significant relief before my PsA activity went up a notch (or two!) so with it went my dosage to 10mg/20mg alternate days. Even though it wasn't controlling my pain as much as I'd have liked (and I had a three month trial with Humira in the middle ... which didn't help me either) I stayed on this dosage for a year but towards the end period developed extensive rashes (itching = scratching = bruising), migraines and mild neuropathy in my forearms so the decision was taken to stop and apply for a second biologic to be given as mono-therapy. Of course having to stop and going without any treatments for several weeks gave me the full measure of just how effective the leflunomide still was, but hey ho I couldn't have carried on with those side-effects.

It also cleared up the plaque psoriasis I had at the time, I don't remember if it helped my nails specifically.

So my experience of leflunomide was pretty positive and I often wonder if I'd stayed on the lower dose whether it I would still be able to be on it now in support of my biologic.

As for NSAID's they don't help me a great deal so I don't take them regularly. With my sensitive stomach I would worry about gastro bleeds/ulcers even with a stomach protector. I'd rather hold them back as bullets for my gun should I need pain relief more in the future when the benefit vs risk swung more towards benefit.

Good luck aberry22, I hope it goes well for you.

Thanks Jules for the feedback on the leflunomide. I’ve just finished day 3 of my loading dose (40mg) and will drop the dosage to 20mg a day beginning tomorrow. So far, I haven’t had any noticeable SE. I hope to be able to manage with just the leflunomide, cymbalta and neurontonin for now. I rarely take anything for pain as I have an extremely sensitive stomach.

Mataribot, I just asked about the NSAIDS because my GP and my PT thinks that I need to be on one. However, they both saw me during a bad flare where I was so swollen and my skin was red and tight. They could not believe that I didn’t take an NSAID. I’m not sure that I explain just how miserable my gastro symptoms are from taking even one dose of NSAIDS. The flair only lasted a couple of weeks and things went back to normal, well my new normal.

I seem to be having more good days than bad days so I feel like that is a great improvement.

Thanks for all the info and the support!

Hi there!

I have just finished a 4 month trial of leflunamide... I have exerienced hair loss, anemia, crushing fatigue, headaches and mouth ulcers...all of which started at the 3 month mark... *sigh* I started off feeling better,but it just didn't last. I will be keeping my fingers crossed for you

cheers