Leflunomide (Avara)

I talked to my Rheumatologist tonight and if I have no success with the MTX and Sulfasalazine in the next few weeks, she would like to try Leflunomide.

My flares have increased over the last three weeks and trying to get the disease under control. She said if I am still having pain, flaring then its not working. I reached the maximum dose of the Sulfasalazine two weeks ago with a few bumps(nausea) and am now going on to week three. She wants to wait two weeks to see if this combination works. Has any one tried it and had success?

Any feedback would be great appreciated.

Thanks,

Tara

It worked for me for about 18months but not as well as Enbrel does now with a co dose of 6mg prednisone.. My doc is suggesting he replaces the pred with a co-dose of Arava soon.

Hope it works for you and your liver can tolerate it ok.

PsA and Inflammation are not bi conditionally related - PsA causes inflammation, but inflammation does not cause PsA. Just because someone has no sing of inflammation does not mean the disease is under control. While its true that only a minority of patients wil receive clinical remission, the disease should be manageable by the patient. Everybody’s pain tolerances is different, it’s doctors job to determine what can reasonably be done for the patient.

Hi Laura,

That's the problem, I am having more flares meaning more inflammation along with pain and red joints. Over the last three weeks I've had a flare in my left ankle and big toe, left thumb and right middle toe, along with pain in my hips(lower back, buttock) shoulders and back of my neck. The swelling in my thumb has gone down a bit, however one side is still swollen more then the other and pain on that side. My ankle swelling is gone, however the toe is still sore. My middle toe is still swollen, red and a big bump on the inside of the toe.

The flares(swelling) is lasting longer then it use to however the pain is more tolerable. Any increased activity, increases the pain. For instance yesterday I took my dog for a walk and when I got home my hips were burning in pain, sitting caused even more pain as it seemed to pinch a nerve. It feels like bursitis in my hips along with piriformis syndrome. I have had both over the years, however now it's a daily thing.

Increased time standing, my feet start to ache and burn, same with my hands when I increase activity, aching burn. I also have pain in my wrists and elbows, however that pain seems to come and go. I'm having increased tendon and muscle soreness with activity. I find the pain changes all the time, hips will be bad for a few weeks and then my shoulders.

The positives I have seen are less stiffness in the morning. Less pain with flares, prior to these meds I was using pain killers and sleeping pills to get through the few days of intense pain. That was the pattern of my flares in the past, swelling and unbearable pain for a few days and then it would ease and the joint would go back to normal. Now I have the same swelling, with less pain however it's increased to more joints then usual.

As far as pain meds, my doctors and I decided that I would try to use very little so that I can see how these meds are working. I'm managing alright, there has been a few times I have had to use Tylenol 3 and Celebrex. I have been thinking about staying on the Celebrex daily to take some of the edge off, but I'm not sure I should be adding more and worry about taking too many drugs.

I had an increase in nausea when I was increasing the sulfasalazine, however at the same time I am also having flare after flare and increased nausea has been part of the flare in the past. I am taking notes, pictures and waiting to see if I have any change. I'm trying to be active daily, as my goal is to get back to work and work is a very physical job. I'm pushing myself more and more even though the more I do the more pain I have. Using crutches to get around when I can't walk. At this point I'm thinking this is the new me and flare or not I have to be able to have some sort of functioning life so I am starting to push myself more and more and adjusting to the new pain levels as best as I can.

Laura E D said:

Hi Tara,

Tell us a little about the flares that you are having. Are you having a few new flares everyday? A flare every few days?

Success is not always so easy to measure or compare with these drugs. None of them made the disease completely go away for me. All of them helped to make life more manageable. Is that failure? Partial success?

I'm someone who kept on using all of the drugs that you mentioned for the length of their usable life. What I mean by that is I took them until I my body reacted suitably strongly to the drugs to objectively make continued treatment no longer safe. I was in no hurry to run through the entire Rheumatological pharmacopoeia, although I seem to have managed that!

One thing that I would mention is that for me inflammation and pain were separate phenomena. Once we managed to get the inflammation under control with DMARDS and later biologicals, I still had pain. So then we treated the pain issues...How is your inflammation? Are you taking anything for resolving your pain? How are you adjusting?

Thanks Allan, so far my liver has being doing very well. I am hydrating as much as I can so hopefully it stays this way :-) My doctor mentioned Enbrel last time we talked, but this time she said Avara. To be honest, I really wish this stuff works as my body seems to be adjusting alright now and I dread dealing with more side effects. I went to bed last night hoping to wake up feeling better today......not looking good so far. My lower back is worse then yesterday :-(

Allan said:

It worked for me for about 18months but not as well as Enbrel does now with a co dose of 6mg prednisone.. My doc is suggesting he replaces the pred with a co-dose of Arava soon.

Hope it works for you and your liver can tolerate it ok.

You're absolutely right mataribot! My rheumatologist said if there was pain or inflammation then the disease is not in control and she felt that there would be something that would work. I also brought up the fact that even with the increased swelling, my blood is showing no inflammation. She again confirmed that means nothing. I'm actually really concerned as I have had PSA since my late 20's early 30's and never had this daily pain or the amount of flares I am currently having. I would have a flare a few times a year, 3-5 days of horrible pain and swelling and then gone and back to life I went.

mataribot said:

PsA and Inflammation are not bi conditionally related - PsA causes inflammation, but inflammation does not cause PsA. Just because someone has no sing of inflammation does not mean the disease is under control. While its true that only a minority of patients wil receive clinical remission, the disease should be manageable by the patient. Everybody's pain tolerances is different, it's doctors job to determine what can reasonably be done for the patient.

I take Arava daily, in combination with my biologic (Cimzia). It helps about 20%. I have one bout of loose bowel movements a day, and that's it for the side effects. It doesn't bother me, because I have plenty of warning.

Diarrhea is the most common side effect.

I was unable to tolerate MTX, oral or injectable, but tolerate Arava just fine.

Thanks Marietta,

I would like to get off the MTX, but I doubt that will be an option, or at least lower the dose. I would like to take celebrex daily, however I was told to only use it when needed. I'm thinking if I can take it daily it would take the edge off any pain and allow me to get back to work. Next time I talk to my Rheumy I am going to ask her about it again. I'm wondering how an Avara and Sulfa combination would work and has anyone tried that combo?

Marietta said:

I take Arava daily, in combination with my biologic (Cimzia). It helps about 20%. I have one bout of loose bowel movements a day, and that's it for the side effects. It doesn't bother me, because I have plenty of warning.

Diarrhea is the most common side effect.

I was unable to tolerate MTX, oral or injectable, but tolerate Arava just fine.

I'm on plaquenil and leflunomide. I've been on leflunomide for almost a year now, as MTX didn't work for me. Side effects. . . I had to use a half dose because of side effects. I was in and out of the bathroom for a few hours every day due to diarrhea. On a half dose it was working, but I need more now. We're trying to "sneak up" on a full dose, as it definitely worked better than a half dose, with no side effect. The goal is minimal side effects with better disease control.

It's definitely worth a try as your next med, in my opinion.

Thanks Stoney :-) I have tried plaquenil years ago and had a lot of stomach issues on that and stopped. I hear the Leflunomide also can cause the same so double trouble..... I'm finding the MTX is not the most tolerable and really increases the fatigue. I regained some energy adding the Sulfa but with increases the nausea came back even worse. The toughest day is the day after the MTX injection, I wonder if I can just cut the Sulfa for that day?

That is a reasonable goal and one I am also trying to obtain. Today I am actually feeling alright as far as side effects. We have been living in the fog here the past few days so I am finding that is not so great for the aches.

Stoney said:

I'm on plaquenil and leflunomide. I've been on leflunomide for almost a year now, as MTX didn't work for me. Side effects. . . I had to use a half dose because of side effects. I was in and out of the bathroom for a few hours every day due to diarrhea. On a half dose it was working, but I need more now. We're trying to "sneak up" on a full dose, as it definitely worked better than a half dose, with no side effect. The goal is minimal side effects with better disease control.

It's definitely worth a try as your next med, in my opinion.

Sorry I have never been able to take those two. Mtx I can't handle due to side effects...Sulfa meds worked for a while but not enough anymore. I'm at the point where it's going to be time to move on myself. Plaquenil seems to help me a little but with the sulfa meds isn't the right combo for me. I'm guessing we are en route to the same destination....Leflunomide.

Everyone's body reacts different so you just never know until you try.

Thanks Dini :-) I am going to talk to my rheumy about getting off the MTX. The side effects are really impacting my quality of life. I'm fine with the Sulfa, so if she wants to add the Leflunomide with that then fine, but the MTX...nope.

I'm not sure if I should just drop it now or wait to talk to her. I am also going back to work next month, been off too long and am just going to tough it out and deal whatever way I have to. Hope you find the right combo soon too!

Dini said:

Sorry I have never been able to take those two. Mtx I can't handle due to side effects...Sulfa meds worked for a while but not enough anymore. I'm at the point where it's going to be time to move on myself. Plaquenil seems to help me a little but with the sulfa meds isn't the right combo for me. I'm guessing we are en route to the same destination....Leflunomide.

Everyone's body reacts different so you just never know until you try.

I've also had an increase with mouth sores, sore throat and feeling like I am constantly fighting some virus.

TaraLynn- Are you taking folic acid? I'm taking 3mg/day and no mouth sores, whereas on a lower dose I had mouth sores.

TaraLynn said:

I've also had an increase with mouth sores, sore throat and feeling like I am constantly fighting some virus.

Hi Stoney, Yes I am taking 2mg daily, increased it from 1mg. Should I increase it to 3mg?

Stoney said:

TaraLynn- Are you taking folic acid? I'm taking 3mg/day and no mouth sores, whereas on a lower dose I had mouth sores.

TaraLynn said:

And when I was on MTX I took it every day. In other words, you can increase your folic acid with your doctor's go ahead, and follow the dosing guidelines given to you, in terms of days to take it/not take it.

I couldn't tolerate Sulfasalazine or Arava, so I can't imagine a combination of the two! What it seems is that everyone is so very different that we can't even begin to compare medication experiences. The only thing that ever positively impacted my inflammatory markers was MTX. I'd go so far as to even say it put me in a sort of "remission". I went off meds for a couple of years (stupid mistake!) and then went back on it and had an allergic reaction.We've yet to find something that works since. I'm on my 3rd medication since then (started yesterday), so it's a game of wait and see. It's so hard and it is all such trial and error. I hope it works for you because we all deserve some relief!!

Thanks JDT. I missed my MTX injection last week and haven't did it yet. I am also taking sulfa, but to be honest I'd l like to stop it all. I received a prescription for the Avara, however I'm thinking I won't be starting it as the side effects look similar to the MTX and I've had it with the nausea and fatigue.

It's been over 6 months now and living with the side effects from all these meds has been challenging. I will be calling my Rheumy this week. I haven't had great success with anything so far, in fact the side effects (nausea, fatigue and flu like symptoms) have decreased my quality of life immensely and I really just want and need to get back to a function life. I'm tired of waiting for the side effects to decrease and feeling as though all these drugs will have a similar impact. Has anyone had no side effects from meds? For me at this point.....I'm highly doubtful .....

JDT said:

I couldn't tolerate Sulfasalazine or Arava, so I can't imagine a combination of the two! What it seems is that everyone is so very different that we can't even begin to compare medication experiences. The only thing that ever positively impacted my inflammatory markers was MTX. I'd go so far as to even say it put me in a sort of "remission". I went off meds for a couple of years (stupid mistake!) and then went back on it and had an allergic reaction.We've yet to find something that works since. I'm on my 3rd medication since then (started yesterday), so it's a game of wait and see. It's so hard and it is all such trial and error. I hope it works for you because we all deserve some relief!!

Hi, Tara, I’m cross-posting here because you mentioned Arava on two threads.
Arava and MTX together, I think, is a real last-ditch attempt at avoiding biologics. It’s a combination that some docs don’t like to use, because it is extremely toxic. My rheumie’s advice was “On Methotrexate you shouldn’t drink. With Arava you MUSTN’T drink.” I got a small amount of improvement on the combination, but when I went on a cruise, I allowed myself a measured 70 mL (half a small glass) of wine a day. Bloodwork when I got back indicated that my liver couldn’t take even that small amount. I was really walking on the edge with that combination.
I was on triple therapy (MTX/sulfasalazine/hydroxychloroquine) for several months, and it did nothing for me. Arava helped a tiny bit: if the improvement on Arava/MTX was a 1, the improvement on Enbrel was a 10. For me, anyway – your mileage may vary! And during the year of experimentation with this drug and that, my hips sustained terrible damage, while the rest of me felt like a bag o’ dirt. I don’t want to sound negative … OK, I’m negative. :wink:
I agree with Jen (on the other thread): I think you need to open the conversation about biologics with your rheumatologist. What does your husband think? Will he be going with you to your next appointment?

I have had relatively no side effects from MTX. I started taking 3 mg of folic acid a day two weeks prior to starting MTX. I take 15 mg a week by subcutaneous injection. The day after, I have a very small amount of GI upset (no nausea). I eat rice and veggies that day, and it makes me feel much better.

TaraLynn said:

Thanks JDT. I missed my MTX injection last week and haven’t did it yet. I am also taking sulfa, but to be honest I’d l like to stop it all. I received a prescription for the Avara, however I’m thinking I won’t be starting it as the side effects look similar to the MTX and I’ve had it with the nausea and fatigue.

It’s been over 6 months now and living with the side effects from all these meds has been challenging. I will be calling my Rheumy this week. I haven’t had great success with anything so far, in fact the side effects (nausea, fatigue and flu like symptoms) have decreased my quality of life immensely and I really just want and need to get back to a function life. I’m tired of waiting for the side effects to decrease and feeling as though all these drugs will have a similar impact. Has anyone had no side effects from meds? For me at this point…I’m highly doubtful …

JDT said:

I couldn’t tolerate Sulfasalazine or Arava, so I can’t imagine a combination of the two! What it seems is that everyone is so very different that we can’t even begin to compare medication experiences. The only thing that ever positively impacted my inflammatory markers was MTX. I’d go so far as to even say it put me in a sort of “remission”. I went off meds for a couple of years (stupid mistake!) and then went back on it and had an allergic reaction.We’ve yet to find something that works since. I’m on my 3rd medication since then (started yesterday), so it’s a game of wait and see. It’s so hard and it is all such trial and error. I hope it works for you because we all deserve some relief!!