All clear for Humira, but I'm so nervous!

Hi guys,
Finally, after 6 weeks of waiting, I had a follow-up x-ray yesterday and my pneumonia is gone. The day after getting my first 90-day supply of Humira, I started with a high fever, and thus found out I had pneumonia on April 2. So, talked to rheumy this morning and he says to start the Humira whenever I’m ready. I’ve had no instructions. But of course have read plenty of tips on this forum. I’ve given myself B-12 shots before, and my sons both have Type I diabetes, so I’m familiar with needles, etc. BUT this morning I came across a blog from a woman who started Humira for Crohn’s (which I also have, but I am dosing for PsA). And I have to say I’ve lost my nerve after reading of how PAINFUL she says the injections are. I don’t remember reading of anyone’s experience on this forum being so torturous. I’m trying to decide whether to do the injection alone (without hubby present) or have him with me. The problem being that he (understandably) doesn’t handle my being in excruciating pain very well. And I know there are many threads on Humira here, but I’m just needing some reassurance, and hoping I will hear “Oh it’s really NOT that bad!” Thanks in advance for the support! (I’m pasting the link to what I read on the blog.)
http://archive.lyza.com/2010/11/18/how-to-make-humira-injections-hurt-less/index.html

I had my first Enbrel injection last week, and it was WAY less painful than I was expecting. I had read about it online as well and was prepared for it to be fairly painful, but really I only felt a slight burn for maybe 10 seconds. I don’t even know if I would call it uncomfortable, and I definitely wouldn’t call it “painful.”
I let it get to room temp, iced the injection site for a few minutes, and then did it. Not bad at all! You can do it!

1 Like

Thank you! Will definitely let the pen come to room temperature. Had forgotten that some members had recommended icing. I keep reminding myself of the flare I had in my foot right after the pneumonia diagnosis. It was THE most painful flare I’ve ever had. It took me 30 minutes to walk one room away to the bathroom - another 30 to walk back and I was sobbing/screaming the entire time. (And I’m not a wuss! I had two big babies by natural childbirth lol) So I figure that an injection can’t possibly be anywhere near the pain of that flare!

1 Like

Let it come to room temperature and then walk around for a few minutes with it tucked under your arm … I tuck mine in my bra (I know, tmi!) while I get the others bits and pieces ready. It makes a HUGE difference to me if it’s closer to body temp rather than just the room, especially in winter.

And even if it is a bit of a sharp scratch and stingy it’s over in the blink of an eye. I have pre-filled syringes so if I find the site I choose is especially sensitive to the touch of the needle I just move a bit to one side. Not an option with the pens, though.

Good luck, you WILL be fine.

1 Like

It’s really not that bad. I’ve been taking it for several months now, and the injector really doesn’t hurt any worse than the ‘you wont feel a thing’ shots and blood drawl needles. I definitely feel it, just like any needle, but its not a horrible pain. Once or twice it stung for a bit after. Usually its just that prick and it’s over.
What surprised me was hearing the liquid inject in with a squish sound a second or two after the needle injects. I don’t know why, I just found that really disconcerting the first time or two, haha.
You’ll do great! This is nothing compared to the other pains from PsA. And soon you’ll hopefully be on your way to feeling better, and staying healthy longer.

1 Like

Yep, Ashley has hit the nail on the head here. Ten seconds of a strong sting, and sometimes (ok, when I forgot to take it out of the fridge), another 30 seconds like an ant bite. Nothing you can’t handle, and absolutely nothing like long term pain (and that’s without even going into the medical need, potential for long term damage without it etc)

2 Likes

Hi kris.

I just don’t get it. Where the heck is she injecting herself and how cack-handedly? With a pre-filled injection, warmed to body temperature or near as, gently introduced into fat it’d be quite an achievement to experience excruciating pain I reckon.

I notice that the needle on my injections (I guess they are the same the world over) have a slight curve on them. I think that introducing the needle to my spare tyre with the curve towards my body rather than away from it is the key to making it absolutely painless - yep, that’s correct: ‘absolutely painless’.

However I probably need stronger glasses and sometimes I’m in a hurry so often enough I just jab the needle in any old how. And then it’s about as excruciatingly painful as being bitten by a mosquito but a zillion times more beneficial!

How can someone who lives with the pain of Crohn’s disease complain so vociferously (and unhelpfully IMO) about the fleeting sting of the medicine that offers relief? I’m completely mind-boggled.

Bung the damn thing into your tummy fat at about a 45 degree angle (okay, more carefully than a silly old fool like me) and look forward to a great result and hopefully relief from the real pain and misery that PsA can cause. It’ll be fine. Good luck, be hopeful!

3 Likes

I wouldn’t be worrying about the injections just delighted to be getting some treatment that will most likely help so much. Be excited. Lots of hugs though.

1 Like

Wow! That post is seriously melodramatic! I use Enbrel but there are similar issues with the auto injector. Note, I said the method. Yes, it’s a bit violent and the medication is stingy. Switching to pre filled syringes was a real game changer with comfort and bruising.

1 Like

I can’t explain this, but I can confirm that this sort of statement is, for some reason, surprisingly common on Crohns blogs and forums (I used to read them a lot).

For some strange reason it reminds me of this conversation I had with a school mate when I’d returned to school about 6 weeks after my bowel resection. He’d just had his wisdom teeth out.

Him; so what was the worst part?

Me; oh I dunno

Him (interrupting), did you get pethidine? Those shots in the butt were the WORST, way worse than my teeth!

Me; um, we’ll they didn’t seem that bad to me, though I guess I still have the bruises from them now… (and he interrupts with some other story…)

And me; (thinking to myself…) are you insane? man I was on the button after only an hour or two begging for more pethidine, I didn’t care where they had to inject it…

Good news was, years later when I had my wisdom teeth done, I was not in the least bit apprehensive :joy::joy:

1 Like

:rofl:
In your case, is it a tricycle tire? I have a much larger tire than yours I reckon!

Same here! I love my autoinjectors even though it stings and burns for a very few seconds—I’d take any “pain” - if you can call it that - for a few seconds to kill the pain of PsA!
I do think we all perceive pain so differently, though, so maybe the sting of an injection to some seems more excruciating than the nagging symptoms of PsA all day long!

1 Like

I don’t understand that reaction. I swab the site with alcohol, hit the plunger on the auto-injector and at best, have less than 10 seconds of mild burning. Then because I end up hitting a small blood vessel or vein, I get a bruise. I injected this morning–same minor burning. No idea about the bruise (yet).

Frankly, the pain from the cspine and shoulder issues is worse than any Humira injection ever thought about being.

I had to have my husband with me the entire 13 months I did MTX subq–something about that screaming yellow stuff and the GI issues…

This morning, he got the injector and swab for me and then left to check on whether the oven was ready to cook his bagels.

2 Likes

It’s flatter than it used to be, that’s for sure. But ample for injection purposes. Are you going all roly-poly on us? I’ve seen photos … of a sylph!

1 Like

Definitely not a sylph—at least not since I’ve had my last few babies! I actually was a twiggy up until my pregnancies gave me lovely loose belly fat and stretch marks—and those combined with the mess I already had from the appendectomy when I was a tiny tot are not very picturesque…no, I’m not a roly-poly, but I’m no beanpole anymore! :tired_face: I saw your pic and you are smaller than me and look in very good shape—you camouflage that spare tyre very well!

1 Like

So, kris, have we convinced you there’s nothing to be afraid of? :blush:

2 Likes

This sounds weird, but take your finger nail and press it at the site where you will be injecting yourself- make an X pattern- it numbs the skin around the site. X marks the injection spot.

1 Like

Yes, you have! And you have all given me some chuckles too! No shortage of belly fat here! lol I knew I could count on everyone to help me through this and put things in perspective. I’ve had so many odd reactions to various meds in the past, so that added to the trepidation I was feeling. I’ve had no “training” but how hard can it be? Watched the Humira lady on the video. Think tomorrow might be the day. I’ll send a report! I know many of you have been where I am, and I thank you for holding me up and encouraging me!

3 Likes

Now that’s an interesting tip!

I agree with you Sybil. My last flare was excruciating. Nothing
else can hurt that bad! To get any relief would be so welcome.

:rofl:Everything is relative yes? Wisdom teeth were not fun at 36 yrs old, but after the psa and my spine issues I’d take wisdom teeth removal over the other. At least that goes away fairly quickly!