Yikes! That Humira Pen Hurts!

Today I had my Rheumy appointment and got my first Humira shot and ooooowwwwweeeee! That was NOT pleasant!! (Trying really hard to say it nicely here!) Someone please tell me it's much better when you do it yourself at home and can allow it to warm for a hour or so first. She (the nurse giving me the shot) said it would hurt more this time because she just took it out of the refrig at the office, but at home it wouldn't be as bad. Did anyone else have a rough first go of it and then it got much better? She was also very excited about my starting on Humira and said how much she loves it and has seen so many people do much better after starting it. She could have been just trying to make me feel better. It worked! Any thoughts??? Thanks so much!

I am on Enbrel shots in a pre-measured pen. I had trouble at first and it also hurt but only for a couple of seconds but enough to make me want to avoid it. Find the fattiest area that is a suggested place to inject into your body. Pinch up as much fat between your fingers and thumb and inject into the fatty tissue. I have to push into the fatty tissue for my pen to work. I use my belly fat and it does not hurt. This is the first time I have been grateful to have some fatty padding on my body. I found that doing it myself was much better than the doctor doing it for me.

Hope this helps

I found the Humira pen to be very painful on my thigh. I changed to a syringe in my belly it was much, much less painful.

Thanks so much Bella!! Yes, I think doing it myself will be better too...........if for no other reason than taking out the "surprise" factor!! We had to count to ten while holding down the button after she injected me. I'd said the first 4 seconds were horrible, then it got better. I was worried about having redness/soreness at the injection site, but so far so good on that! Thanks again!! :-)

I too found that if you don't let it warm up for about 1/2 hour it can be painful for sure. I have been using Humira for 4 months now, and the first one hurt like a bugger!!! I use the fat in my stomach, let the injector pen warm up for 30 minutes, and one other tip...make sure that the alcohol that you clean yourself with is dry!!! One time I did it when the alcohol was still wet and it BURNED like crazy!!!! Most of the time, it doesn't hurt though...the more fat you go into, the better I think.

Good luck!!!

I had horrible pain when i started my enbrel shots and what I have learned is that it is a lot better in your stomach!! My thighs hurt so much but on my stomach I almost have no pain. Warming it up is also good and make sure you let the alcohol from the wipes dry completely.

Oh great Dani!! Thanks for the warning about the alcohol too! I really think the next injection will be in my tummy instead of thigh! Thanks so much!

dani7865 said:

I too found that if you don't let it warm up for about 1/2 hour it can be painful for sure. I have been using Humira for 4 months now, and the first one hurt like a bugger!!! I use the fat in my stomach, let the injector pen warm up for 30 minutes, and one other tip...make sure that the alcohol that you clean yourself with is dry!!! One time I did it when the alcohol was still wet and it BURNED like crazy!!!! Most of the time, it doesn't hurt though...the more fat you go into, the better I think.

Good luck!!!

Thanks a bunch Xvanex! All these posts are so helpful! The makers of these medicines really need to take into account what the actual patients say and then perhaps offer or encourage these options for the injections in their literature. Thanks!! :-)

xvanex said:

I had horrible pain when i started my enbrel shots and what I have learned is that it is a lot better in your stomach!! My thighs hurt so much but on my stomach I almost have no pain. Warming it up is also good and make sure you let the alcohol from the wipes dry completely.

Sherry one thing you can do is distract yourself, say by watching tv as you do your injection. I think part of the problem is focusing on the pain.

Hey Sherry,

The nurse shouldn't have done that to you. She should've let it warm-up.

The pens are easy and you don't have to "see" the needle go in but, the pre-filled are less painful.

I use Enbrel pre-filled. I pull it from the fridge, hold it in my hand for a few minutes and inject. No waiting 30+ minutes...If you touch it to your face you can feel if it's warm enough. I always inject in my stomach (for 13 years) alternate left one week right the next.

If you try to distract yourself you may shoot your eye out? Besides, once you hit the button you're more than likely just gonna miss your T.V. show.

I was definitely focused on the pain at that moment!! No doubt about it! hahaha!! :-) Thanks Andrew!

Andrew said:

Sherry one thing you can do is distract yourself, say by watching tv as you do your injection. I think part of the problem is focusing on the pain.

Hi Robert,

Thanks! Actually, she did give me the option of waiting, but I wanted to hurry and get back to work. So that's probably my fault. She was really nice and she gave me a big hug afterwards!! (Which I needed!) :-) So sweet! Thanks so much for all the great advice!! :-)

Robert said:

Hey Sherry,

The nurse shouldn't have done that to you. She should've let it warm-up.

The pens are easy and you don't have to "see" the needle go in but, the pre-filled are less painful.

I use Enbrel pre-filled. I pull it from the fridge, hold it in my hand for a few minutes and inject. No waiting 30+ minutes...If you touch it to your face you can feel if it's warm enough. I always inject in my stomach (for 13 years) alternate left one week right the next.

If you try to distract yourself you may shoot your eye out? Besides, once you hit the button you're more than likely just gonna miss your T.V. show.

Oh yeah, then, that's your fault!!! LOL Atleast, you got a hug!

Hahahha!! Yes, I'm very fortunate. I love my Rheumy and his nurses!! They are all really caring people and very friendly. I see the way they interact with everyone, not just me and wow! Their hearts are really into what they do. Even when I've gotten lost a couple times trying to get there, the receptionists help give me directions on the phone and even stay on the phone with me until I'm close enough. I'm horribly directionally challenged! Hahaha! That's just NOT my talent! I was definitely born at the right time.....in the age of GPS!! Tee Hee!! :-) So if I had to get stabbed with an injector pen by someone, it was at least by a very kind and caring person who gives warm hugs!! :-) Haha!

The pain wasn't bad at all for me. But I did always have pain at the injection site afterwards. Used to get a red raised sore spot that would last about 3 day's. No big deal though I guess. I did use my belly though. And I got plenty of cushion there lol.

Yes, I'm beginning to think my tummy may be the best place for me too! I'll alternate left and right every other week. Thanks!

Why do men have bellys and women have tummys?

And why all the discussion about them. If you were going to a party would you sooner have a six-pack or a keg???

Hey I’ve been through childbirth twice with limited pain relief - once a week enbrel dose is nothing on that!!

I use the Humira pen in my tummy OK belly for Lamb, tried the thigh once and never again! I let it warm up, make sure the alcohol is dry and I have found is if I sit down and give the injection it doesn't hurt but if I'm standing up it does, could just be a mind thing or maybe I'm more relaxed because I'm sitting. It stings for a few seconds and then it's gone.

Sherry, how often are you using the pen? Every 2 weeks?