Advice to Survive a LONG Wedding Weekend! All suggestions welcome!

Hello! In on month I am a bridesmaid in a multi-day outdoor bachelorette party which leads directly in to the rehearsal dinner (also outdoors), and then next day is an all-day outdoor wedding. 6+ days of constant activity, not including travel to get there and home.

How do I survive this without passing out/getting sick/ or being a total wet blanket? This group is really active and outdoor-motivated (obviously) and it's going to be HOT. I want to participate in everything that I can!

How do YOU handle special events? What advice do you have for self-preservation without feeling left-out? I want to participate in everything but be functioning by the actual ceremony (day 5). Help!

(About me: I am in decent health at the moment. My only issues right now are foot pain, tiredness, and heat rash, but that is pretty standard. I take enbrel, methotrexate, and tylenol, plus lots of vitamins. Not an alcohol drinker, occasional caffeine consumer.)

OOOOooooooohhhhhhh this is going to be FUN! But you're right, you are going to have to really pace yourself and have lots of tricks up your sleeve to make it to the main event in one piece. Just one hint from me: sit down as much of the time as you can. That will save your feet and conserve your energy. You're going to have to decide what is going to be do-able for you. I have a mobility scooter that I use, but I'm OLD so, although I hate having to use it, it is more or less age appropriate. Don't assume that there will be chairs or benches or seats where you go. Bring your own, because the seats will not be where you want to be, and just when you need one, other peoples' bums will be in them. To parties and stand up social events, I carry a lightweight director's chair so that I can still "work the room" and not be a wallflower.

Another possibility is a walker (I know, the "image" is terrible...). Alternatively, rent or borrow a wheelchair: myself, I think a wheelchair has much more fun potential than either a walker or a chair. You can decorate it (or even better, have others decorate it) and if your feet and energy are fine, it will make a very handy stuff-mobile for carting things around. And (sorry to say this) being wheeled can be A LOT of fun if there are a few party animals around.

Oh, another tip. Get your pain arsenal loaded up. You don't want to spend your time hunting down the right pain relief. Do you sleep well, or would it be a good idea to get your doctor to give you something to help you sleep soundly? If the festivities mean late nights that you won't want to miss, you may do well to take a sleep medication on those nights in order to get the hours of rest that you need to stay functional, even if it means that you end up missing breakfast. Breakfast on the morning after the night before is overrated anyway. You want to make it to the main event relaxed, rested and happy. And you want everyone to have great memories. You can do it with a bit of advance planning!

PS How are you travelling?

Thank you for your tips advice! I do have a cane that I use from time to time.

I am traveling by car. It's ~11 hours round trip. Fortunately my dress is full-length so I can hide my boring flat shoes :)

I second taking your own "Directors" chair. I think when I bought mine it was advertised as a folding camp chair but it's lightweight, folds and slips in to it's own bag. Thing I like best of all, is that the arms have a slot to put drinks bottles/can/flask etc in ... this kind of thing https://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=folding+camp+chairs. I never go anywhere without it. And they come in lots of different colours!

The other thing I do at group events, is pick whoever I'm closest to in the group and brief them on how I'm feeling that day and what I'm capable and not capable of doing. That way if an activity is suggested that is simply too much for me I have someone who will back me up if I come under pressure to "just give it a go" (because, of course, we look okay).

I agree that making the most of your sleep is important. I'd also maybe see about getting/keeping that heat rash under control. Maybe check with your doctor/pharmacist for an anti-histamine that's safe to take with your other meds. And my final suggestion is to buy a small bottle of facial water spray (this is what I buy) it is perfect for refreshing and cooling my face as well as being a pick me up for hot, aching feet when I flop down in my chair.

Have a wonderful time nbnw22!

Thank you! The director chair looks like something I should just have 24/7!

Jules G said:

I second taking your own "Directors" chair. I think when I bought mine it was advertised as a folding camp chair but it's lightweight, folds and slips in to it's own bag. Thing I like best of all, is that the arms have a slot to put drinks bottles/can/flask etc in ... this kind of thing https://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&am.... I never go anywhere without it. And they come in lots of different colours!

The other thing I do at group events, is pick whoever I'm closest to in the group and brief them on how I'm feeling that day and what I'm capable and not capable of doing. That way if an activity is suggested that is simply too much for me I have someone who will back me up if I come under pressure to "just give it a go" (because, of course, we look okay).

I agree that making the most of your sleep is important. I'd also maybe see about getting/keeping that heat rash under control. Maybe check with your doctor/pharmacist for an anti-histamine that's safe to take with your other meds. And my final suggestion is to buy a small bottle of facial water spray (this is what I buy) it is perfect for refreshing and cooling my face as well as being a pick me up for hot, aching feet when I flop down in my chair.

Have a wonderful time nbnw22!

I had signed-up for a week-long seminar before I got sick ... the PsA cameon very suddenly and very severe (9 joints affected). I decided to go in spite of the cross-country flight and fear I wouldn't be able to deal.

Here is what helped me which may also pertain to you:

I openly told people I had health issues and would not be able to do all activities ... I didn't go into details ... just generally let people know I had to limit my activity level.

The advice on sitting & resting from other posters ... YES.

I ate lightly and avoided heavy sugary foods and alcohol (hard to do at a wedding, I know!)

When I felt too tired, I skipped certain activities. I realized I wouldn't be able to do "everything" so I did triage and "saved my energy" for the most important activities.

I had to get wheelchair assistance for the airports but that doesn't apply to your situation. Still, it worked-out ok for me and I had a great time at the seminar in spite of being as ill as I am.

Good luck & have fun!

Oh yes, Natkat! Wheelchair assistance is such a blessing. People think they can make it through to the plane, but the truth is that it's further than you think *and* there's the standing and waiting which you tend to forget about. Of course nobody wants to ask for wheelchair assistance, but those that do arrive at their destination in much better shape than those that haven't.

Love your activity "triage" procedure!