Yikes!

I just got my call about my Humira delivery for next week and I am now in shock. My insurance is a PSA and I had met my deductible early summer before I started the Humira in September so I never paid for a shot. I knew it was going to be painful (to my purse) when I had to start paying but OMG really! I see a good and a bad thing here. First the good, I will now meet my deductible at the end of March and then I won't have to worry about paying for the rest of this year, the bad, no shoes, purses or baby presents for the next two months! My husband seems to think this will be a good thing and will actually save us money. Me, not so much so! WOW, how can they charge so much for these drugs?

Most of the companies have some kind copay card. they can help even if you think you don’t qualify, you should look into it. You should of got some info in your starter kit from your Doc.
I am on Simponi now and haven’t paid a penny. Their program ( still can’t believe I qualified) will cover me for a year. Then I have to pay a very small copay for the next year. Of course this is also in part because of my own medical insurance.
I am terrified of the day I have to pay for it!

Thanks guys, I will definitely check it out!

The Humira folks are great. They were friendly, supportive and had many helpful suggestions. They took over all the dealings with my insurance company, and just called me up to say that I would have a $5 co-pay each month, but that they would take care of that, so at this point there is no cost to me. They asked if I took methotrexate and said that they would pay for that as well. So I would call Humira and see how they can help you.

It's to their enormous financial benefit to have people on Humira. They want to help people as much as they can, so that people don't throw up their hands and say: "I just can't afford this medication!" So whatever kind of insurance a person has, or if a person has no insurance at all, they will do everything that they can to see that you can get the medication.

Good luck!

I have recently been prescribed humira by my rhuemy and when she told me what the cost was I almost fell off my chair. My rhuemy enrolled me with a group called PROGRESS and said they would be in contact with me in which they were within 48 hours of my appointment. I am very surprised that there is no red tape or crap to go through with them. They are working with my insurance company to get this drug approved by them and this group is going to pay my remaining 20%. Their sincere compassion is amazing and their willingness to be helpful and to ensure I carry none of the stress in regards to securing financing for this drug is a blessing.

Hi GrumpyCat, PROGRESS is a group afiliated only with the Abbott Company that manufactures the drug Humira. My understanding from talking to them and the materials they have sent me is they do not offer support for any other drug. Humari is their field of expertise. Each Humari injection ranges from 850.00 to 1000.00 per injection depending on the pharmacy. They give you an option to either order your drug at your local pharmacy or they will deliver it to your home each month direct from the company, whatever is most convenient for you. They will also provide a nurse to come into your home at your convenience to train you on doing the injections yourself, plus they have a number you can reach them between certain hours of the day. Part of the reason my Rheumy decided with Humari for me was because of the patient support they offer. Talk to your doc about this drug and the benefits of this company. Let me know how it works out for you
GrumpyCat said:

Is the PROGRESS group connected to a drug company or are they independent? Do they offer support for drugs other than Humira? Could you post more information about it?

Thank you!!!
Claire

Easternlady said:

I have recently been prescribed humira by my rhuemy and when she told me what the cost was I almost fell off my chair. My rhuemy enrolled me with a group called PROGRESS and said they would be in contact with me in which they were within 48 hours of my appointment. I am very surprised that there is no red tape or crap to go through with them. They are working with my insurance company to get this drug approved by them and this group is going to pay my remaining 20%. Their sincere compassion is amazing and their willingness to be helpful and to ensure I carry none of the stress in regards to securing financing for this drug is a blessing.