Wondering About Irritable Bowel Syndrome now

Grandma J, it's true I'm still having a hard time accepting my condition's reality. I have my good days and my bad days (mentally). It pretty much feels like a nightmare :) I'm afraid of falling into the pit of depression yet again, I'm trying to prevent this from happening. I'm strong, I can learn to live with this, maybe even beat this. I have done it before, I can do it again! I have to keep remembering that.

Seenie, if only I could find the simple answer :) Everything still looks pretty much complicated. I'm sure I'll find it in time... I will be going home in two weeks from now. I can't wait. Being around my mother makes things seem easier somehow, I feel like a little girl who wants her mother right now :). I will stay for three weeks or so, and this time try and really relax! I haven't given myself time off for a few years. I think it's time I did. And my hometown is a much more warmer place :) The difference of weather is like between the North Pole and Hawaii or something :D I think seeing a little sun will do me good as well.

Jules hi, no I don't have the book. I will try getting the e-book version since I live in Turkey and it's not very likely for me to find it here :) And thank you for your support! I thank everybody who ever replied my questions for their support! :)

not to be contradictory, but I have a different experience. IBS is sort of a catch all. I have it do do colon issues. After all sorts of tests and a stay in the hospital, they thing it's from the P in PsA. they believe it is irritating my colon and causing my IBS issues

*like*

Seenie said:

Well, I'm glad to have provided you with a laugh! I do believe that many of us have ignored more dots than we imagine. I know that is so in my case, anyway, and I suspect it is true for many of us here.
Do you know about Occam's Razor? No, it's nothing to do with chin hairs. It's the problem solving principle which says that the simplest explanation is probably the most likely to be correct.
I'm sure you are looking forward to going home, connecting with your medics, and having home cooking! How long before you get to go?

now that's interesting.. I had never thought of it as a possibility..

Also, I never had a colonoscopy due to a couple of reasons. Who knows what's going on in there... And that's a possibility I don't want to think about :)

Robyn said:

not to be contradictory, but I have a different experience. IBS is sort of a catch all. I have it do do colon issues. After all sorts of tests and a stay in the hospital, they thing it's from the P in PsA. they believe it is irritating my colon and causing my IBS issues

My Rheumy told me it was very common, and one of the symptoms.. He prescribed me hycosamine and its been a miracle drug for me!!! Also, I found out that the Methotrexate can also irritate... so he backed me off and its helped wonders! I am also aware of what foods to avoid right after I take Methotrexate.

I'm not on any medication right now apart from antiinflammatories, but it's certainly helpful to hear that a rheumy said it was one of the symptoms. I will ask my rheumy about this as well - still curious - but I won't be seeing him for another 3 months, so that's only on my questions list right now :)

I'm glad to hear you got some relief for it though. I was using 3 different medications for it, one to balance the fluid retention (I think!) in the bowel, one for the gas issues and one to prevent ulcer caused by so many medications; because I took both of them 3 times a day and as that wasn't enough I the one I took for gas was prescribed twice, three times a day. So I was swallowing a total of 10 pills a day and it wasn't very nice :)

remicadebeliever said:

My Rheumy told me it was very common, and one of the symptoms.. He prescribed me hycosamine and its been a miracle drug for me!!! Also, I found out that the Methotrexate can also irritate... so he backed me off and its helped wonders! I am also aware of what foods to avoid right after I take Methotrexate.

I was just diagnosed 5 years ago.. I am 35.. I've been suffering for a VERY long time... I''ve always had what I called "belly issues:".. I'd have to take pills after pills after pills... couldn't go out to eat etc... so when I saw my Dr for the 1st time he actually asked me if I had trouble with my stomach.. and when my reply was most of my life.. that''s when he told me it was a symptom. When I started on the Remicade the issue slowed down tremendously.. but the Mtx aggravates it.

ladylazarus said:

I'm not on any medication right now apart from antiinflammatories, but it's certainly helpful to hear that a rheumy said it was one of the symptoms. I will ask my rheumy about this as well - still curious - but I won't be seeing him for another 3 months, so that's only on my questions list right now :)

I'm glad to hear you got some relief for it though. I was using 3 different medications for it, one to balance the fluid retention (I think!) in the bowel, one for the gas issues and one to prevent ulcer caused by so many medications; because I took both of them 3 times a day and as that wasn't enough I the one I took for gas was prescribed twice, three times a day. So I was swallowing a total of 10 pills a day and it wasn't very nice :)

remicadebeliever said:

That's actually really interesting because I had "belly issues" pretty much all my life as well. Some people had headaches, some people had chronic throat infections, and I had all sorts of problems with my stomach and bowel. Long before IBS. Actually my mom says I had them since the minute I was born :)

Hi there peeps,
I was googling this topic and it led me to here.

My new Rheumy said, “No, that’s not related”. Just makes sense to me that it would be related. And it runs (no pun intended) in the family. :laughing: Bye for now :wave:

Remember, though, that IBD isn’t the same as IBS. IBD is inflammatory, whereas IBS is irritable (a bit like me in the morning)!

That said, it seems to me that people with a chronic illness of any sort are more likely to have IBS due to the stress and anxiety they give - not to mention the amount of meds we have to take. I have read there is a definite link with fibro and IBS too.

For me, no IBS diagnosis. The only time I have IBS type symptoms is at the tail end of a PsA flare up. Definitely a pattern for me and I have been hospitalized for bowel obstruction during a bad flare. My internals do inflame! I have it everywhere, eyes, nose, mouth, ear joints, spine, nails, skin…

There is some more recent research indicating that IBS has sub-types. Some of these appear to be relieved by prednisone, leading to some researchers thinking there may be an inflammatory component, and there seems to be some anecdotal evidence that some people with PsA and IBS get relief from the IBS from biologics.

1 Like

I was just diagnosed with IBS, 6 years after my Psa diagnoses. While I know of no clinical link, I have always had bowel issues, and gut pain associated with my flares. I also wonder whether long term use of NSAIDS has not played a role in its worsening these past few years.

I thought IBD was related to PsA and IBD sufferers tend to have a lot of difficulties getting diagnosed as well. IBS is basically the IBD sufferers eczema (like when a doctor looks at your psioriasis patch and calls it eczema because it looks like it).

IBS is basically “we don’t know, but you have belly issues”. It could be something in your diet, it could be celiac’s that got missed, it could be IBD that got missed. If it goes away when your PsA gets succesfully treated, it is most likely related (and hence inflammatory in nature).

1 Like