Enbrel and diarrhea

A lot if you probably remember I've had no SEs from Enbrel, which I've taken around 18 injections now...2 a week.

Now I'm wondering if this is a SE, but it's only happened twice. Two days after my first dose, July 3, 2014 (that date will be etched in my head infinitely!), on July 5 I was travelling with my daughter and in a hotel near Chicago. I spent most of that night on the toilet with the worst diarrhea ever and a little nausea. I used to have IBS, but haven't had it in years, and this was way worse. I didn't want to blame Enbrel.

Last night, same thing, only with the diarrhea, bad nausea for a few minutes (mind you, I NEVER throw up--but nearly did). This was, again, different from my IBS, and ended up with having pink mucous stool. By then it was 6:30 a.m., I talked to both my nurse daughters who said it was nothing to worry about, and only serious if I started going bright red blood. I've been on a lot of ibuprofen-but not as much the last week because it doesn't seem to help my back pain anyway.

This happens to be again 2 days after my Enbrel shot, and those are the only 2 times I've had diarrhea since starting Enbrel.

Any thoughts, anybody? Could some Enbrel injections be "tainted" with a bacteria or something, or do you think this is coincidental? Occasionally, I do get mild cramps but no diarrhea, also.....I think maybe this is just my crazy stomach. (Nobody else in the family has been sick.)

Grandma J--I'm going with coincidence. Your disease can do lots of odd things to you and I'm highly doubtful about pointing your finger at Enbrel as a cause.

You've had a LOT of shots and it has happened only twice--once while traveling which is often a time that causes our system to get out of whack. As I've become more particular in my diet I have found that simply eating out once is enough to cause gastric problems.

Have you tried daily probiotics? They can be really helpful as can digestive enzymes (consult your doctor there are some cases where they are NOT a good idea). It could help.

Hi janeatiu,I do eat Activia once or twice a day, and if I’m religious about it my stomach works pretty well.
I agree with you that it would be odd if I’d have rare stomach upset from Enbrel, so yeah. The trip was exciting and followed the first shot AND 4th of July, which is a fun family holiday for us. I’ll have to chalk it up to either something I ate or just my crazy stomach.

janeatiu said:

Grandma J–I’m going with coincidence. Your disease can do lots of odd things to you and I’m highly doubtful about pointing your finger at Enbrel as a cause.

You’ve had a LOT of shots and it has happened only twice–once while traveling which is often a time that causes our system to get out of whack. As I’ve become more particular in my diet I have found that simply eating out once is enough to cause gastric problems.

Have you tried daily probiotics? They can be really helpful as can digestive enzymes (consult your doctor there are some cases where they are NOT a good idea). It could help.