Enbrel and nausea

I took my 1st Enbrel injection last week and I have been experiencing some nausea in the mornings. Also, some incredible heartburn. Anyone else have the same experience?

Dear lilliesmom,

Oh so sorry to hear of the nausea, I have not experienced this, I have noticed a little 'burn' once in a while, but had not linked it to the Enbrel. I go back to the Doc later this month. Make sure to tell your Doc so that he can check you. Hope you feel better soon.

Hi there. It is funny I should notice your post because I also had some pretty extreme nausea after this round of Enbrel. This may have happened in the past and I did not think of linking it with the Enbrel but I will be paying attention now. I have been on Enbrel for over a year and have noticed different symtoms from time to time but they do always seem to go away.

Sorry to hear this, I was getting nausea and heartburn but not because of the Enbrel injections but because I had Helicobacter infection in the stomach which can cause nausea and heartburn I have been treated for this now you may just need to check with your Dr in case it is to much acid in the stomach and may need treatment with some antacid medications.When I first taking the Enbrel injections I had reactions to the site of the injections it settled over a period of time,I went off my medications for a while thinking that I should be a lot better than I was, but now I am paying for it I didn't realise just how much they were helping..

I can understand that Wendy I got the same idea at one point. I stopped my medication though it was because I thought I was going on Remicade then I realized how much better I had gotten. Remicade ended being to expensive, I am on Medicare. So I went back on Enbrel and now my symptoms are better again.

Never have had nausea either except the few times I used my belly. I decided it was because no matter how many needles I've stuck in my self, I still tense up where I shoot...... It makes no sense I know.

I'm on enbrel for the second time and have had nausea to stqrt with both times but it pretty much goes away after 4 or so injections

For 5 years enbrel worked wonderful for me. I did not have nausea but everyone is different. I did however like the kit where you mix the meds yourself better than the refilled pin. The pre filled pin always burned.

http://community.arthritis.org/forums/Topic4201453-1831-1.aspx#bm4201619

Looks like some others are wondering the same thing.

Heartburn is listed as a side effect, about 4%. Just called my pharmacist buddy (chairman of the pharmacy dept at the U) and asked him why, as its an IM and shouldn't effect the stomach.

HE told me he didn't know except that inflammation effects every part of the body with a systemic disease, If drug is working, all manner of things can start to happen as the body resets it self, which is why most of the SE effects are temporary. Then as always his snap to reality (appropriate to the current drug malady) Would rather have the pain back or buy the large bottle of Tums????

Exactly! I buy the big bottles of tums! My first shot, I felt it going to the chest, was a wild sensation! Not exactly up there with your Polynesian drink though, lamb!

LOL He has a good point :)

tntlamb said:

Heartburn is listed as a side effect, about 4%. Just called my pharmacist buddy (chairman of the pharmacy dept at the U) and asked him why, as its an IM and shouldn't effect the stomach.

HE told me he didn't know except that inflammation effects every part of the body with a systemic disease, If drug is working, all manner of things can start to happen as the body resets it self, which is why most of the SE effects are temporary. Then as always his snap to reality (appropriate to the current drug malady) Would rather have the pain back or buy the large bottle of Tums????

I haven't noticed the nausea any ,but have had the stinging while giving myself the enjection. I have had to drink more water with the embral for dehydration , otherwise embral is working A o-kay.

Hi lilliesmom,

Hope that the nausea has left you, one thing that may help are the wrist bands used for nausea, I keep a pair in the car for my grandson for car sickness and they work like a charm, if he doesn't have the bands on he has his head in a garbage bag the whole way, is fine with the bands on. I found them at the grocery store Pharmacy on a rack, can also buy then on Amazon.

I certainly am. I had my second injection this morning and had to leave work early due to nausea.
Staying hopeful that it will subside.

I started Enbrel last week & woke up the next day very sick.But I also had a bad stomach with MTX. So it will go away. But maybe ask doc for something to help.

I have been on Enbrel over a year now. Taking it at night and on a Friday night for people who work is a good idea. Also take your pain medication at the same time as your Enbrel also I would take Rantidine as well for the nausea unless your doctor objects. It is over the counter and not very expensive. Those are the things I do. My problems with Enbrel have been the flu like symptoms and feeling really tired, all of which happen the day after I take the shot. Good Luck :)

Had my 3rd injection and have had shocking nausea and diarrhea. Hoping it will subside. I take Stemzine to aid nausea.