Wits End

I am way too young to be so old.

I don't want to complain. I just don't know what to do at this point.

I've been looking for work and I haven't had any luck. I've been on several interviews, and I've put in probably hundreds of applications. Nothing. I am so blessed to have parents that love me, and are understanding and sympathetic to my situation. They have continued to support me through all of this, financially and emotionally. But I really want to be self sufficient. It's time.

PsA is really getting in the way. I am so very limited in the types of work I can do - and even more limited by my lack of work experience/education, etc. Getting a student loan is out of the question because I have a student loan in default. I've applied for a Pell Grant but was denied due to my parents making too much income. They list me as a dependent because of my unemployment status.

I really feel like my back is against the wall. I'm desperate.

My dad checked into disability and says that PsA is one of the few diseases covered. But do I really want to give in at my age? If I give in now and get "better" later, then need disability when I'm "old" it will be really difficult to get back. What if I get married, will my disability end? Will that be OK? Will it keep me from being able to get married?

The thing is, I am 100% willing to work - and want to work very much.

But my body doesn't agree with my brain 99% of the time. I need a job where I don't have to use the LITTLE ENERGY I have for the day blow drying my hair and putting on makeup, a job where I'm allowed to take 3PM naps, and lots and lots of walk around breaks. I need a boss who understands that when I need a Tramadol, it means MY WORLD IS ABOUT TO END AND YOURS IS TOO IF YOU DON'T GET ME MY HAPPY PILL. :(

In this economy, with the experience of a high school kid? Not gonna happen.

You'll be in my prayers, Suzanne. I share the frustration you feel with being young in this economy--and of course the trouble of having to deal with PsA at the same time. Stay strong.

Thank you so much! :slight_smile: I’ll do my best.

I know it has to be hard and I'll keep you in my thoughts and prayers. I wish I had some advice for you, it's a really tough situation and the current economy surely doesn't help. Try looking at usajobs.com. It's for government work, but they have a special section for people with disabilities. If anything, it might give you some helpful information that you can use to strengthen your current prospects. Good Luck!

Welcome Job Seekers with Disabilities

The Federal Government is committed to expanding access to employment by hiring people with disabilities; providing technical assistance and information on accommodations for people with disabilities; and identifying and removing barriers to work.

“Across this country, millions of people with disabilities are working or want to work, and they should have access to the support and services they need to succeed. That's why I've asked the responsible agencies to develop new plans and policies to help increase employment across America for people with disabilities.”

- President Barack Obama