What to do with meds I've failed on?

It feels like such a waste, but I have full bottles of meds that I've had allergic reactions to. I hate to throw them away because maybe there's someone in the world that could use them. Is there any place that would take them that you all know of??

Thanks!

Jackie

There is a thread somewhere on here where this was discussed. I took mine (unopened) to a free clinic in town. See if you can find that thread, others had good ideas too.

Some pharmacies have a take back program. My city has a medication drop box to dispose of the meds.

Please, whatever you do, don't just put them in the trash. This stuff ends up in our water supply.

Thanks! Nope, definitely not in the trash, they remain in my cabinet! Someone had said something in another post about not being able to afford MTX, which got me thinking as I have some and it seems like it should be able to go to use for someone who can’t afford it!

Thanks! Nope, definitely not in the trash, they remain in my cabinet! Someone had said something in another post about not being able to afford MTX, which got me thinking as I have some and it seems like it should be able to go to use for someone who can’t afford it!

At Walgreens you can purchase mail in envelopes that are used for unused medicine. You them mail them in, postage is already paid for, and the place disposes them appropriately. We also have a free clinic that will take unopened medicine.

I hear you about not wanting to waste them, but if places will not take them, something else you can look into that happens a lot in certain areas is that there is a certain day every few months selected for medication drop off where they will take and dispose of old/unused meds. You may want to check in your town/city or county to see if they have such a program.

They do have a drop off day periodically around here, but I was hoping someone else could benefit from them!

I hope you do find a place because that would be really nice of you and so helpful to someone like you say that may not be able to get them on their own.

JDT said:

They do have a drop off day periodically around here, but I was hoping someone else could benefit from them!

If they are sealed an unexpired, a clinic will take them. If thy are open bottles, you can either take them to your city dump as they can safely dispose of them, take them to your next doctor appointment and the doc can dispose of them or purchase a pouch that neutralizes the medication so that you can safely throw it in the trash.

This may sound a bit weird but a good while ago we had an Iraqi doctor working with us…when he was able to return to his country to try and start helping rebuild he requested we all ( and our patients) give him unwanted meds even if they were a little out of date as they needed as many meds as possible to help out the ordinary people…he cried when he saw how much people gave to help, even patients had gone out an bought medical supplies for him to take over.

I wonder if there are any charities that work in less well off countries that may benefit?

Thanks, me too. There's a lot left! Such a waste.

They are prescription, Grumpy Cat so they've been moved into a prescription bottle from their original manufacturer's bottle. They aren't expired, so they'd be usable.

It's too bad that some sort of clearinghouse doesn't exist to help people without insurance coverage. I guess it would be risky accepting meds from people, but I hate this waste!

Livinday2day said:

I hope you do find a place because that would be really nice of you and so helpful to someone like you say that may not be able to get them on their own.

JDT said:

If your GP/ clinic is registered with Intercare they check and ship drugs to clinics in Africa…not being cynical but maybe needs checking they don’t “sell them on”.

Will keep looking :slight_smile:

This is a UK charity…seems all above board. Not sure if there is a similar thing in the US

Louise Hoy said:

If your GP/ clinic is registered with Intercare they check and ship drugs to clinics in Africa…not being cynical but maybe needs checking they don’t “sell them on”.

Will keep looking :slight_smile:

I got they are prescription. Sometimes they’ll come in a sealed individual bottle with a months supply. I get several things like that. I have a box of sealed Humira. I’m taking to my rheumatologist to give in office. It’s insanely expensive and I refuse to toss it!

JDT said:

Thanks, me too. There’s a lot left! Such a waste.

They are prescription, Grumpy Cat so they’ve been moved into a prescription bottle from their original manufacturer’s bottle. They aren’t expired, so they’d be usable.

It’s too bad that some sort of clearinghouse doesn’t exist to help people without insurance coverage. I guess it would be risky accepting meds from people, but I hate this waste!

Livinday2day said:

JDT said: