What helps during the GAP?

I seem to re-enter the notorious "GAP" now and then. Either I am flaring or switching biologics. I was always a "let's do this" kind of girl. I could throw myself into any problem and get it sorted out. I have to pace myself when flaring and spend way too much time in bed or recliner while switching biologics or flaring. We all know activity is important and I do my exercises in the pool but when flaring my Rheumy always tells me to slow down and take it easy. But how does one do this?

I did buy an electric recliner and new flat screen and netflix is my new best friend!

I have been buying more pre-made meals and we eat a lot of salad in the summer. I did put pipe insulation (from the hardware store) on my utensils and cooking implements. But I need more ideas. My brain fog is on high!

I would love answers on this, too. After 2+ years of treatment (and lack of treatment/lack of rheumy) I've finally gotten good results and no side effects from my third biologic. Now, I have to go off the bio for 4 weeks and off MTX for as much as three+ months due to upcoming surgery (if the threatened nurses' strike doesn't happen and if the pre-admission people I was supposed to call immediately ever return a darn phone call). I'm three days overdue for the biologic and can feel a major difference already, and I will skip the first dose of meth this week.

I've felt so bad for so long, I'm surprised at how annoying it is to go part-way back after only a few good months. How soon we forget! I guess there's always a silver bullet to bite.

I do a lot less myself and a lot more pointing out what needs to be done and hiring in help to do it. We need an electrical outlet on the deck. Shouldn't be too hard to punch that through from the one in the kitchen. Nope. Hiring an electrician. I hate spending money when I know I could do it myself but I move slowly, drop things and curse way more than I used to. Keeping peace in the home suggests that I pay for the electrician. Oh and for the attic insulation. And the plumber to fix a job that would take 10 minutes if I had my wits about me. Staff is how I cope!

This is my first time in The Gap. Though I have been in a gap for most of my life. When the pain and brain fog get to be too much, I read. I love reading. Sometimes I read until my eyes sting. Then sleep. As long as I can keep my brain engaged I seem to be less depressed.

The "gap" can feel like a deep dark endless cavern when the ground beneath your feet gives way and swallows you up ! I have been either flaring or switching biologics for the better part of two years. Micheal, I am sorry you are having a rough time ! We just have to keep pressing on and believing for the best, pacing ourselves and focusing on what we can do, not so much on what we can't.

I'm afraid of the gap.... I don't even want to think that there will be a gap for me someday. I never want to feel like I did 4 weeks ago before I started Enbrel. I still have psoriasis, and now a little infection on my legs, and of course pain in several places. But, some things have definitely changed, and it seems like the stiffness and fatigue that ruled my life are just gone, and what a difference that makes!

A doctor had told me something about synovial fluid around the joints and it thickens up or something. My hands, feet and lower back were so stiff and weak. Now I have energy. I didn't get much sleep last night cuz a couple grandkids slept over and, of course, wanted to sleep with me. I don't think I got more than 2 hours sleep and had to get up at 6 am and work all day. Got about 1/2 hour nap this evening, and here I am at nearly midnight, still going strong! I love this--I wish everyone could feel so good!

mimiB said:

The "gap" can feel like a deep dark endless cavern when the ground beneath your feet gives way and swallows you up ! I have been either flaring or switching biologics for the better part of two years. Micheal, I am sorry you are having a rough time ! We just have to keep pressing on and believing for the best, pacing ourselves and focusing on what we can do, not so much on what we can't.