Just a thought abou oct. flares in IL and stress factors

i saw my rheumy yesterday here in IL. he said he has a lot of flares this season. hopefully all is better where you all are :) i start embril with my mtx and sulfasalazin.....i am sure this will help!! i can not believe how stress impacts flare ups. i am sole caretaker for my dad who is in the last stages of alzheimers and boy if i have an emtional day or so i flare up soooo fast. i am trying to be very clam an optimistic because stress is a big no-no .

I live in TN and when I saw my rhumey last Thursday he told me that the phones have been ringing off the wall with people having flares. He told me that when the fronts come in and push the temps down and then they go back up it just causes havoc for his patients. And yes stress does play a huge role. In fact, I am meeting with a counselor to help me coping strategies on how I can deal with my stress.

I am too on enbrel, mtx and suppose to start septra once they get the lab reports back to make sure things are all ok.

Remember you always have this site to vent!

thanks! good luck with the rx changes

Hi, Patricia in Illinois from another Patricia in Illinois, CHicago

OH yes, what do they say?....don't like the weather, wait 20 minutes, it can change that fast, here.

I seem to flare more in humid wether, than winter....but it will be 70 almost today, and then drop to 55?

and lots of rain coming, but we need it so bad.

My elderly parents died in 04, 7 months apart, so i know what your going through

First thing affected with me is the hands, so i get the wrist braces out, with thumb attachment, and Ace bandages, slept with one on my knee all night...and if worst comes to worse, the prednisone, or pain pills......Norco

Lets hope we have another mild winter..wasn't it something?

how long have you been on your meds, remember, maybe you know already, to give mtx 3 months to work

take care..and Go Bears!

I feel HORRIBLE with barometric changes. Spring and Fall are always very hard for me when the weather changes rapidly. Now I plan ahead. I up my antidepressant (the pain makes me very depressed), stocked up on pain meds, and keep extra events to a minimum. I know which months are the worst in my area (Seattle). Luckily winter here is fairly stable (just constant rain) and so is summer (which starts in July). I grew up in the midwest (WI) and had an incredibly hard time with all the weather changes year-round.

Hey.. I dont live too far from you.. live in S.E. Iowa.... i sure know about the barometric changes.... ughhhhh... just found out on Wednesday that I have PsA.... im sooooo confused and afraid.... I have many other health issues.. and just want to make sure I am making the right decision... My Dr. wants me to go on Enbrel..... is it safe? I hear that methotrexate isnt safe.. i have had to be on that for the psoriasis... i think i have taken it for two years now.. it does help the psoriasis.. but doesnt even begin to touch the pain.

How does the dr. determine that I have PsA without blood or urine tests? I have Fibromyalgia, osteoarthritis, and sleep apnea.. and deteriorating disks in my back... do they all relate to each other?

I am scheduled to see a neurologist in just a couple of weeks.. and dont really understand why I need to see one... I did mention to my regular dr.. that my toes go numb once in awhile,... but I just want relief from the pain... the numbness I can tolerate... do you see my frustration?

Does anyone have any suggestions?

i am sure the rheumy will do the blood work. the joints affected are different in psa so sometimes a doc can get an idea from what joints are painful or distorted. i am starting embrel next week. i am also staying on mtx and sulfasalizine. those meds are not for pain management so you should ask what to do for the pain... good luck ! we will both see if the embrel helps.

ty so much pat.. the rheumy did not order blood work.. that is why i am a little confused.... as for pain meds.. im on vicodin.. hate taking them... i feel like i have to just to make it thru the day.. the pain sometimes even with it is unbearable.... i wont take much tho.. i do not like the way they make me feel.... and for sure i would not be able to work.. or drive.. lol...

I will let you know what I decide... i guess when i go to the neurologist.. ask him lots of questions too... whether related or not....