Hard time

I’m having a hard time at the moment. I had a flare up a month ago and ended up needing a methylprednisolone injection. My medications been changed from Hydroxychloroquine to Sulfalasizine. It takes 12 weeks to work and I’m at week 5. The injection only worked for a month. I had a rheum appointment today and there not able to give me another injection as it’s to soon. I’m struggling with work and my day to day routine and there’s not much I can do. I just need to hang in and wait for the Sulfalasizine to kick in. If anyone has any suggestions it would be highly appreciated.
Bu

So many of us have been where you are, Bu. We get it. Tired beyond belief, depressed and sore. Yes, you are in The Gap. The only advice I can give is to give yourself the best care that you can: eat healthy foods, sleep lots, and enlist friends and family to give you a hand.
And hang out here with us. People survive The Gap, and it does get better. Really it does.

Thank you Seenie. I am so grateful for this site and for all the members. It’s good to know that I’m not alone. I am reading through the site and finding it easier to cope. Thanks again.
Bu

Hi Bu, you are as Seenie says in the dreaded gap. Waiting, waiting, waiting ..... I think I said somewhere else this week that 'waiting' should become a symptom of the disease because it feels like a whole manifestation of it's own. Just take good care of yourself, cut back on anything non-essential, rest when you need to and hopefully in six - seven weeks you'll be here telling us how much better you're feeling.

Thank you Jules, I am really looking forward to that day. I work full time and I work shifts so I’m really struggling at work to. I’m not sure how I am going to work this weekend. I didn’t get much sleep last night.

Bu –
Insomnia and pain are a bad combination. Some of us have had good luck with an old-school anti-depressant, amitriptyline (aka Elavil). Taken at night, it makes you sleepy, but it’s not habit forming like a sleeping med. It can also be used for chronic pain. Google it – lots of info. You might consider asking your doc about it.

Amitriptyline .... I'd second that. It is brilliant and was prescribed for me when I couldn't function because I was exhausted from pain induced insomnia. I don't take it every night anymore just dip in~out if I need to.

Thank you everyone for all your kind words and support. I am going to do some reading on the Amitriptyline. My GP has written me a prescription for Tramadol which I’m going to pick up tomorrow. I’m a bit anxious about taking the Tramadol has anyone taken it before? Thanks again I realy appreciate all your support

Hmmm…tramadol worked well for me while I was waiting for a hip replacement, but I’m n ot sure how well it does for chronic PsA pain. Others may be able to comment. I do remember that Tramadol put me in a fog, which might not be ideal if you are trying to work.

Hi Bu, when I was in the Gap like you are, and desperate for sleep, I took tramadol before bed a few times a week and it gave me enough pain relief (and lots of dopy-ness) to get a full nights sleep.

If I took it during the day, it tended to double my brain fog whilst only slightly blunting the pain.

Hope you find something that works for you soon

Thank you Seenie and Jen

I take Vicodin and Flexeril when I am in the gap and unable to sleep. I have a lot of damage in my spine and I am unable to lie down when I am not on a biologic or waiting for one to work.

I'll give you some ideas I use when in the gap. Use any that help you and forget the rest.

I buy a lot more frozen vegetables and add them to our dinners as they are all chopped up and clean.

I encourage of force (!) my family to take over more of the house keeping. I am not above a "momma lie" "my back hurts so much could you........"

I take a very hot bath at night with 2 cups of Epsom Salt in it. Then I put Salonpas topical pads on anything that hurts. It works best on the more superficial causes of pain- tendonitis and bursitis.

I try to get more rest than usual. Sometimes I go to bed right after dinner and watch tv or read.

See if you can cut your hours down at work at all. Is FMLA or reduced hours at all available? Anything to make life easier until you are through the gap.

Lean on us. We are here for you.

Thank you Michael. I was in a lot of pain on Friday, I spoke to my GP and they gave me a sick note for 7 days. It now means I don’t need to worry about work. My managers being really helpful, we have spoken about reducing my hours. Thanks a lot for all your help. Bu