What a joke

Ive been in extreme pain for about 36 hrs , my wife called my rheummy he calls in me tramadol. What a joke for pain medicine. If he hurt like this he would understand. Wonder what 2 pills at a time would do any good ?

SLOW DOWN... Tramadol is NOT sugar pills. (It may not work for you) Its a dang potent synthetic. Don't mess with it without calling your doc. is an easy one to OD with. Check your pain levels - seriously they may be lower than you think. We often continue to hurt even after the pain is gone (True fact, don't ask me to explain it) You normally don't get any kick from tramadol, so you might be missing that You could also be having nerve pain from an impingement. Tramadol isn't likley (a long with a host of others) to help.

There are several versions as well which one did he give you? some of them take a while to work (16 hours or more) but when they do its a miracle drug. Doesn't hurt to call your doc at this point.....

Hi driveshaft, so sorry you're in so much pain. I'e taken 2 tramadol at once and it doesn't provide pain relief for me. I use it to keep me awake because I'm so fatigued. If the tramadol doesn't help, call him back and tell him you need something stronger !

Oh Driveshaft, that sux but Lamb is right. Don’t double up on tramadol – it’s a med that can give you some really serious adverse effects. We’re talking seizures and things. Don’t be messing with that.

Tramadol is a strange pain medication. For some people, it does zip. For others it’s really effective. I loved tramadol because it was really effective, and it didn’t give me a buzz or make me feel spacey.

As Lamb says, check on the kind of tramadol you have: some is short-acting and some is long acting, slowly releasing the drug over 24 hours. I found the extended release tramadol to be far better at controlling the pain than the short-acting tablet, because the long acting form didn’t poop out after a few hours and let the pain come back. Once pain is present, it is harder to treat. The best way of controlling pain is to stop it before it grabs you. If you wait until you can’t tough it any longer, and then pop a pain pill it will do very little for you. Once the pain has set in, it’s very hard to get rid of.

Good luck – hope you’re feeling better soon.

If you are taking an SSRI be careful also b/c you can get bad effects fr that. Seratonin Syndrome if you get too much o the seratonin reuptake medicine and that is what tramadol is.

I would call again and see if they can fit you in so your Dr. can see what condition you are in and get you something that may help you better. Sometimes it takes a couple calls but when you make a few calls in a relatively short time they get the point.

Hi driveshaft. I also take tramadol 50mg I was told to take 2 at a time but no more than 8 in 24 hours. I find that they take the edge of the pain just enough to help me get through the day but they don’t get rid of it also I have to have something to eat first or they make me be sick. Hope this helps and hope the pain subsides soon x

thanks yall....thanks mama for the cane...this site ROCKS......

This site is about the only thing about PsA that rocks! LOL

That stuff is one of the worst pain meds out there with awful side effects. It works really well for some people though. Just switch to something else.

thanks everyone..only thing its done for me is its made me nauseus

Well if you're throwing up its sometimes hard to remember how much pain, you're in. Believe it or not way back when in my military days we were told to induce our own vomiting as a pain control method because of the endorphin rush (there are studies connecting this rush with bulimia as an addiction problem)

In any event there has got to be better ways any word from the doc???

no word from the doc.....

Well maybe you need to plant yourself in his waiting room........ Nothing like old magazines and HGTV to get through an afternoon. About the first time you throw up there, you'll get some attention.

So sorry that you are suffering. It stinks. Is this doctor someone that you have been with for a long time? I only ask, because IMHO, he should be a little more responsive to your symptoms. I understand that pain and PsA go together like peas and carrots, but if it is at a level you describe, I would think that your doc would want to see you, especially if you are having problems taking the med that he did prescribe. I am really with Lamb here. Insist on being seen. We are coming up on a weekend, and you don’t want to end up in the ER unless you have to. It’s much better for you if the doc will see you and try a different approach to treating this episode .

I wish you luck. Again, I am so sorry that you hurt! I hope you get some relief.

I agree. Don’t self-medicate. Go to your doctor’s office and demand politely to be seen as the weekend is upon you. The ER will be your only option at that point and that is expensive!!! Plus you might end up waiting forever… Trust me. Maybe if you call back yet will call you in something else until they can see you next week, especially if you are specific with your complaints. Good luck. Keep us posted!!

well he put me back on the prednisone pack for a week then 5 mg pred a day after that till i see him in august....

What is a prednisone pack. I take 5 mg of prednisone a day and I know if I have an increase in prednisone will help, but I don't like the long period of tapering off the prednisone. Do you have to taper with the pack?

driveshaft said:

well he put me back on the prednisone pack for a week then 5 mg pred a day after that till i see him in august....

med pack of pred. Day 1 take 6 pills taper down after that till they are gone. After ive taken the med pack i start 5 mg a day of pred..

Thanks. Your info is very helpful. I didn't know about med packs. I will ask for one when I have a flare.

driveshaft said:

med pack of pred. Day 1 take 6 pills taper down after that till they are gone. After ive taken the med pack i start 5 mg a day of pred..