Went to the rhuemy 2day

I hope you feel better . Do you know when you will get in to see the neurologist? I hope you can find some relief until then.

ty i go to the neurologist sept 12th.

crookedtoes84 said:

I hope you feel better . Do you know when you will get in to see the neurologist? I hope you can find some relief until then.

I don’t know how the hyper immune system works, but am also curious. I went to an allergist for a year and received weekly allergy shots. The allergist also put me on a low histamine diet and said I had way too much histamine in my system. That’s how he explained all my symptoms. Or was it just an early indication of auto immune disease?

She told me the over production of histamine was auto immune related and all i needed was benadryl on hand.. I had never heard of hyper sensitive immune system until last week....it could be an early indicator of a more serious condition, because after my episode in jan of over production of histamine my condition with pa has rapidly gotten worse...

Spammy said:

I don't know how the hyper immune system works, but am also curious. I went to an allergist for a year and received weekly allergy shots. The allergist also put me on a low histamine diet and said I had way too much histamine in my system. That's how he explained all my symptoms. Or was it just an early indication of auto immune disease?

Oh how I wish it were as simple as taking benadryl. That’s why I stopped going to the allergist after a year. I complained that I didn’t feel any better and he said it may take 5 -10 years of shots. I ran from that office and my primary doc agreed that I shouldn’t go back.
I’m now wondering if I get P and PsA under control, will that also clear my food allergies/sensitivities? If so, maybe I can have a little debbie. As it is now, I have a sensitivity to chocolates.
seems the more I learn, the more questions I have.

Be careful with the Benadryl! Benadryl can affect the eyes causing sensitivity to sunlight and dry eyes. Eye issues and autoimmune diseases go hand and hand and it’s easy for a doctor to blame the benadryl.

Also, have you had your blood sugar checked? Enbrel can affect your blood sugar levels and high blood sugar levels can cause tendinitis ect.

Oh dear.. Glad you ran from the allergist.(IMO 90% of them are quacks anyway) In any event the histamine thing came about in 1997 (or so) from a rather obscure study done in Japan: http://www.semarthritisrheumatism.com/article/S0049-0172(97)80026-1... The naturpaths and allergists were positively orgasmic. They had proof at long last that RA (which they of course expanded to everything else inflammatory) was indeed caused by sensitivities and allergies. They went nuts with their test etc (some still do) sucked a lot of money out of a lot of pockets (some still do)

You are absolutley right Spammy and frankly brilliant and trust me that statement "Oh how I wish it were as simple as taking benadryl" will go in my Rolodex. If it were a sensitivity problem or allergy problem taking a a benedryl would solve it. The allergic mechanism is histamine based.

Sadly dozens of studies like this one: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17523945 have never even come close to duplicating the Japanese studies on any large scale. There have been a few suggesting similar results but nothing with near the validity of the more recent studies.

I do think there is a connection between the allergic reaction i experienced in jan 2013 and the accelerated progression of my pa..I also believe the medicine i was prescribed did little to help..I pray the mri results can give me some insight into what the heck is going on....

tntlamb said:

Oh dear.. Glad you ran from the allergist.(IMO 90% of them are quacks anyway) In any event the histamine thing came about in 1997 (or so) from a rather obscure study done in Japan: http://www.semarthritisrheumatism.com/article/S0049-0172(97)80026-1... The naturpaths and allergists were positively orgasmic. They had proof at long last that RA (which they of course expanded to everything else inflammatory) was indeed caused by sensitivities and allergies. They went nuts with their test etc (some still do) sucked a lot of money out of a lot of pockets (some still do)

You are absolutley right Spammy and frankly brilliant and trust me that statement "Oh how I wish it were as simple as taking benadryl" will go in my Rolodex. If it were a sensitivity problem or allergy problem taking a a benedryl would solve it. The allergic mechanism is histamine based.

Sadly dozens of studies like this one: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17523945 have never even come close to duplicating the Japanese studies on any large scale. There have been a few suggesting similar results but nothing with near the validity of the more recent studies.

Did you have a rash per chance? I have no doubt as to what you are saying.

There is a well know (but not often discussed) thing called the Koebner Phenomenon. Any insult (injury, reaction, sunburn, accident, etc, and even Tattoo) will set of PsA and get the whole thing roaring. For me it was forgetting to shake the sun screen on my honeymoon. They are trying desperatly to figure out why it happens If we can figure out what turns on the defective parts of our immune system, we can likley figure out how to turn it off.

Anyway read up on Koebner phenomenon. It will explain a lot

Don't know what meds you started with. Roughly only 50% of us respond to our first DMARD or Biological. Its took three years to get my meds tweaked. I started gettinig response before that)

Don't keep saying it! I'm still mourning my tattoo dreams!! :)

tntlamb said:

reaction, sunburn, accident, etc, and even Tattoo) will set of PsA and get the whole thing roaring.

I do know i went to sleep fine woke up itching and from there chaos insued lol... I dont think it was sunburn because it was january , and since i have psoriasis just the thoughts of going shirtless scares me to no end esp in the winter...The allergist may be nuts but she said it was a buildup from inside my body sort of like a volcano eruption......hyper sensitive immune system.....
tntlamb said:

Did you have a rash per chance? I have no doubt as to what you are saying.

There is a well know (but not often discussed) thing called the Koebner Phenomenon. Any insult (injury, reaction, sunburn, accident, etc, and even Tattoo) will set of PsA and get the whole thing roaring. For me it was forgetting to shake the sun screen on my honeymoon. They are trying desperatly to figure out why it happens If we can figure out what turns on the defective parts of our immune system, we can likley figure out how to turn it off.

Anyway read up on Koebner phenomenon. It will explain a lot

Don't know what meds you started with. Roughly only 50% of us respond to our first DMARD or Biological. Its took three years to get my meds tweaked. I started gettinig response before that)

That's actually a pretty good description. The other thing we know for sure is that this is a genetic disease. We are born with it. What sets it off whether its an allergic reaction/rash like you had, a sunburn like I had, a car accident like someone else here had, or something we never know its just like your allergist said a volcano waiting to erupt.

I would STRONGLY disagree with "hypersensitive immune system" Although I understand why he would explain it that way. He is an allergist after all and sees things through thoses eyes. A surgeon will find a surgical problem. A Pain Management doc will find a pain problem. They are all right sorta. Only the Rheumatologist treats the cause. There are a number of parts to our immune system each of which reacts in a different way. The rest of our immune system is just fine. We have a problem with a wee bit of it. The complement system and Innate system are just fine. The funny part is that the inflammation system is mostly just fine too. We do swell when appropriate.

I am almost positive mine reared it's ugly head in '93 after I tore my left brachial plexus in 3 places. but trying to get a doc to listen to me proved intersting to say the least.Finally saw my first rheumy in 2009. I've always had some allergies (cats,dogs,horses,grasses,pollens,bug bites) but after the accident I have more chemical allergies than I can remember or list. I've taken benadryl daily for (OMG) 20 years now. Allergist was not much help...told me to take more anthistamines. The slightest thing can cause my skin to crawl and rashes so bad 50 mg prednisone daily takes months to clear it back up.

I am so glad I found this site and the great people here...fountain of knowledge and experience you are!

Just because we know how turn something on, doesn’t mean we tuen it off.We stand a better chance of ppreventing it being turned on.

Another classic for the ol' Rolodex. Good stuff!!!!!

mataribot said:

Just because we know how turn something on, doesn't mean we tuen it off.We stand a better chance of ppreventing it being turned on.

Sorry, but you make an incredibly dificult task sound so easy. Is possible to cure PsA? Certainly is, but it’s no means realistic if even possible. Preventable medicine is much more realistic in case of something such as PsA.