Turmeric

Nice to meet you too Rachael. I have just come off steroids so my pain and inflammation have flared, that's why I'm going to try the turmeric. Like you I want to take as few meds as I can. The only 'official' med I'm taking for PsA and PMR is Humira.

Rachael said:

Lol, nice to meet you E.Rose! Yes, I have on again off again issues with things of that nature myself. Honestly can't remember a day since pregnancy that I ever was constipated, just normal or not. I have followed this thread because as much as I would love believe in any over the counter med working I can't imagine everyone wouldn't rave about it. I refuse take even one more drug that doesn't have an absolute purpose anymore script or not. I am almost to my 3 yr mark since my PSA got to where I needed help medically so of course since I usually avoided doctors at all costs they found plenty to work with. Waiting for the trials of trusted knowledge to say you have to try this, call me old school. Lovely that you found us and look forward to getting to know you better.

So sorry Seenie. As a Newbie I got inundated with all the information I was reading. I got my threads muddled. I was joining two at once - Dinii's on diet and Sybil's on Turmeric. I apologise if talking about bowel movements upset your sensitivities in any way, As a retired science teacher and nutrition consultant I find this a very important subject that should be discussed openly - too many people suffer in silence - often with fatal results. As I said I was told by a nurse that there is some evidence that coeliac disease and PsA may be linked in some way. Turmeric acting as an anti inflammatory may well help with inflamed intestines. However, I'll endeavour in future to keep my twines separated.

PS I take it you enjoy cricket!

Seenie said:

I don't like where this thread is going.
ROFL

Hello E.Rose! Guess I miss understood I was under the impression you were already using tumeric. Please do tell what you notice while taking it. I also am on Humira and have been getting along pretty well with it. So far it has been the best med I have taken to control my symptoms. I am not 100% with it but I still work an extremely physical and demanding job, which in itself says a lot. Not long ago I was expecting to have to give it up due to PSA. Is humira working for you? Predisone can do wonders but as you noticed it is short lived, but sometimes just a minor break from feeling completely depleted and swollen can be like a deep breath of fresh air. I avoid it but always keep a dose pack in my cupboard if needed the SE can be too much for me, I need my sleep, lol!

E.Rose, I wasnā€™t upset at all! I was ROFL ā€“ ā€œRolling On The Floor Laughingā€! I love a bit of toilet humour, and I so agree with you about the importance of being open about perfectly normal body functions. Seenieā€™s a retired high school teacher: after decades of life with teenagers (many of whom were high needs and high risk), it takes a lot more than a poopy discussion to upset my sensibilities!

Iā€™m so glad that you joined us, and weā€™re looking forward to getting to know you better.

E.Rose said:

So sorry Seenie. As a Newbie I got inundated with all the information I was reading. I got my threads muddled. I was joining two at once - Diniiā€™s on diet and Sybilā€™s on Turmeric. I apologise if talking about bowel movements upset your sensitivities in any way, As a retired science teacher and nutrition consultant I find this a very important subject that should be discussed openly - too many people suffer in silence - often with fatal results. As I said I was told by a nurse that there is some evidence that coeliac disease and PsA may be linked in some way. Turmeric acting as an anti inflammatory may well help with inflamed intestines. However, Iā€™ll endeavour in future to keep my twines separated.

Seenie said:

I donā€™t like where this thread is going.
ROFL

Yes Seenie - my friend told me yesterday what ROFL meant - I did feel a fool! I honestly thought I had stepped out of line talking toilet. ! Great to know I'm among friends and look forward to sharing insights with others coping with PsA.

Seenie said:

E.Rose, I wasn't upset at all! I was ROFL -- "Rolling On The Floor Laughing"! I love a bit of toilet humour, and I so agree with you about the importance of being open about perfectly normal body functions. Seenie's a retired high school teacher: after decades of life with teenagers (many of whom were high needs and high risk), it takes a lot more than a poopy discussion to upset my sensibilities!

I'm so glad that you joined us, and we're looking forward to getting to know you better.

E.Rose said:

So sorry Seenie. As a Newbie I got inundated with all the information I was reading. I got my threads muddled. I was joining two at once - Dinii's on diet and Sybil's on Turmeric. I apologise if talking about bowel movements upset your sensitivities in any way, As a retired science teacher and nutrition consultant I find this a very important subject that should be discussed openly - too many people suffer in silence - often with fatal results. As I said I was told by a nurse that there is some evidence that coeliac disease and PsA may be linked in some way. Turmeric acting as an anti inflammatory may well help with inflamed intestines. However, I'll endeavour in future to keep my twines separated.

Seenie said:

I don't like where this thread is going.
ROFL

Itā€™s 2016 now and Iā€™m new to the group? Just wondering if any of yā€™all are still on Turmeric and if it helped?

Hi Coffee welcome to the group. I started turmeric last week - so not sure yet. However a friend of mine who has arthritis in her fingers said she took it for a while and it seemed to help. Then she stopped and pains worse now so she's going to try again. I'll let you know how we both get on.

Coffee said:

It's 2016 now and I'm new to the group? Just wondering if any of y'all are still on Turmeric and if it helped?

Do you take turmeric in pill form & if so what strength? Thanks

I was told it could take some up to six months to see results but I have been taking it for two years and when I miss a dose or two I can tell a difference. I am on embrel as well.

I get a 60 tablet tub and the information on the site I buy them from states that each tablet 'provides the equivalent of 10g of culinary turmeric'. That leaves me a little confused because if it's a stronger form of turmeric I'd also like to know how much of that there is in each tablet.

Cescasav said:

Do you take turmeric in pill form & if so what strength? Thanks

Hi all. I wondered if anyone has had side effects from tumeric. I am in my 3rd week and have gastro problems and also petechiae (pin point round spots on the skin). I am assuming itā€™s the tumeric as nothing else has been introduced. I had 5 days off tumeric last week and only started again yesterday.

At least with turmeric thereā€™s no risk attached to stopping it to see what happens. I never have a clue whatā€™s causing what. Though the default is ā€˜Itā€™s PsA!ā€™ Presumably turmeric can have adverse effects, gastro problems rings bells ā€¦ but I donā€™t know for sure.

1 Like

Just an update. GP agreed gut problems probably tumeric ā€¦ gut now settling after stoppung tumeric. But the vasculitic rash he thinks might be the PsA.

Glad you got to the bottom of that, thatā€™s one less thing for you to contend with anyway.

I donā€™t feel as if turmericā€™s doing me a blind bit of good at the moment but then I suppose it is just an add-on. I wasnā€™t sure how important it really was to take it with food as per the instructions but after your experience Iā€™ll make sure I do. (Not suggesting you didnā€™t, just that obviously the tablets can be hard on the gut).

So this rash ā€¦ might it strengthen your diagnosis?

1 Like

Yes Sybil, I agree taking it with food would be good. I often have smoothies for breakfast and I found they werenā€™t enough to protect my gut but I suspect part of this auto immune thingie is that I increasingly react to a whole range of new things. Lucky whiskey and chocolate have been fine to date! Important that I can depend on something haha. I had initially thought the tumeric helped but honestly I donā€™t think so now.
Maybe the rash will help with diagnosis. I hope so!
Good luck with the tumeric

• List item
1 Like

Do you have whiskey and chocolate for breakfast and if so, would you recommend it as a complementary therapy?

1 Like

Only for breakfast if I sleep reeeeaaaalllllll late! Haha if I could sleep late I might not need whiskey, tumeric or chocolate. Certainly whiskey and chocolate are historically complementaryā€¦sadly they are not side effect free :fearful:

I promise I will shut up after this ā€¦ but oh boy do I long for some bad stuff. Local cafe does ā€˜chilli hot chocolateā€™. Was going to have one till I found out it contained chilli vodka as it was Mtx night. I just want it.

1 Like

I remember that pain when I was on mtx. Thatā€™s one of the biggest bummers that you canā€™t have some bad stuff.

I have been off of it for six months to see if I needed it and I can tell a difference. I am starting back tomorrow. I realize it takes a while for it to start working but it does work for me.

1 Like