Triggers

Here is an article about many eye problems you can get from PsA: http://www.psoriasis.org/files/pdfs/forum/Psoriatic-Eye-Manifestations-Forum_Fall_11_WEB.pdf

annroberts54 said:

I just talked to my opthamologist and he told me that the only cause and effect on the eyes from PSA is Uveitis. And it is very painful and very very acute. And you can lose your vision quickly. All the other issues, dry eyes, pink eye, ect are probably from other causes. My Dr has me cleaning my eyelids twice a day and it has made a huge difference in the severity of my dry eyes. Use a fresh cotton pad, a drop of baby shampoo and a drop of water. Lightly swipe across eyes from the inside edge to outside edge several times. Make sure to get some gentle contact with the edge of the eyelid where many of the lubricating glands are located. This keeps them unplugged and more likely to be able to moisturize your eyes correctly.

michael in vermont said:

Eye inflammation can be related to PsA. Are you seeing an opthalmologist who has some experience in inflammatory issues?

Respectfully, your Doctor needs a refresher on auto immune disease. The list is long of others. My experience has been however, that unless it involves a lazer, medicare and big bucks there aren't a lot of opthamologists who understand.much.

annroberts54 said:

I just talked to my opthamologist and he told me that the only cause and effect on the eyes from PSA is Uveitis. And it is very painful and very very acute. And you can lose your vision quickly. All the other issues, dry eyes, pink eye, ect are probably from other causes. My Dr has me cleaning my eyelids twice a day and it has made a huge difference in the severity of my dry eyes. Use a fresh cotton pad, a drop of baby shampoo and a drop of water. Lightly swipe across eyes from the inside edge to outside edge several times. Make sure to get some gentle contact with the edge of the eyelid where many of the lubricating glands are located. This keeps them unplugged and more likely to be able to moisturize your eyes correctly.

michael in vermont said:

Eye inflammation can be related to PsA. Are you seeing an opthalmologist who has some experience in inflammatory issues?

That's what you'd like us to think! LOL!

SublimeAmiga said:

So far I found out alcohol and gardening.. and I didn't do them together I swear! lol :-)

I do - do you think that makes it worse??!!!?? :)

Marietta said:

That's what you'd like us to think! LOL!

SublimeAmiga said:

So far I found out alcohol and gardening.. and I didn't do them together I swear! lol :-)

I think alcohol and gardening would cancel each other out! I am going to try it right now!

As lamb said, your doc needs a refresher in autoimmune diseases.

I *did* have the classic uveitis associated with PsA. It was never painful for me. My eye was rarely red. And I lost my vision over the course of 10 years in one eye. The inflammation was silent and deadly.

ANY inflammation in the eye is cause for concern, whether it is caused by dry eye, uveitis, iritis, pinkeye, sun sensitivity, whatever. It can ALL be related to PsA.

annroberts54 said:

I just talked to my opthamologist and he told me that the only cause and effect on the eyes from PSA is Uveitis. And it is very painful and very very acute. And you can lose your vision quickly. All the other issues, dry eyes, pink eye, ect are probably from other causes.

I have been wondering about this the last few days after experiencing another flare. Weather changes can do it. If I overdo things physically, especially in hot weather, I can get a flare too. Last Friday night a friend took me out on the town and I drank too much red wine. I don't drink often or much these days, so my tolerance is fairly low. Anyway, I am still sore and sorry for myself several days later. Do any of you react badly to alcohol or particular types of alcohol? Also, I am starting Pilates. Is that a problem with PsA like massage?

Thanks for the push. I need it. I find that without my glasses I can see very little or I see multiples of things when there should be just one. I hadn't had the connection yet that my optical issues were from PsA. I'm having shoulder surgery in two weeks so need to wait a bit before I make an appointment. But I promise that I will.

Marietta said:

If you have PsA you should be seeing an opthamologist, not an optometrist, especially if you have ANY sort of eye problem. Please don't take chances with your eyes.

Qadosh2him said:

I've double vision for the past three years...really only the closeup (laptop screen and reading) is the worst time of it. My optometrist gave me a prism in my lens to cure the double vision.

Wine always causes me to flare, even in food sauces, when the alcohol itself is cooked off. I've never really tried much of anything else. When on vacation I did have 6 oz. of beer (first time in 10 years) but I was already in a flare so I couldn't tell if that did anything.

Jen said:

I do - do you think that makes it worse??!!!?? :)

Yep - that was my theory. A nice quiet glass of wine tends to slow one down to the more genteel pursuits, such as watering and planting seeds. That alone helps me pace my activity (or at least that's my excuse!)

michael in vermont said:

I think alcohol and gardening would cancel each other out! I am going to try it right now!

I don't know about triggers....I'm still trying to convince myself that what I'm feeling is really happening. I guess I'm stuck in denial BUT I can't find a pattern, can't figure out a trigger, don't know if a flare is a flare. I definitly know something is going on but not sure what to call any of it. I've been taking Humira for a year now (stopped for 4 weeks for a surgery and noticed a considerable amount of joint pain in that short time). I'm really happy that you started this discussion so I might watch what triggers others.

Does anyone get flare ups from certain foods?

No food triggers for me that I can find. Stress is a huge trigger for me. Sometimes over doing is also a trigger. I finally figured out what a flare is by being on prednisone. I flair wicked while tapering down on dose. Just really not worth taking for me as the tapering flare is a killer.

I only drink beer and it REALLY hurts me! I was VERY sore the next day and I only had 4 beers. Now they weren't light beers, I drink Blue Moon, Heinekin, and several others that are not light.... maybe I should look and see what they all have in common. I know Blue Moon is a wheat beer. Most of the others are Lagers.

Philly said:

I have been wondering about this the last few days after experiencing another flare. Weather changes can do it. If I overdo things physically, especially in hot weather, I can get a flare too. Last Friday night a friend took me out on the town and I drank too much red wine. I don't drink often or much these days, so my tolerance is fairly low. Anyway, I am still sore and sorry for myself several days later. Do any of you react badly to alcohol or particular types of alcohol? Also, I am starting Pilates. Is that a problem with PsA like massage?

Red wine is a killer. Tomatoes also are bad. Someone said that the "night shade" vegetables could trigger problems.

SublimeAmiga said:

I only drink beer and it REALLY hurts me! I was VERY sore the next day and I only had 4 beers. Now they weren't light beers, I drink Blue Moon, Heinekin, and several others that are not light.... maybe I should look and see what they all have in common. I know Blue Moon is a wheat beer. Most of the others are Lagers.

Philly said:

Yes if you go to the Natural Healing Group I posted a lengthy explanation about what Nighshades are. I don't have any issues with flaring from nightshades, thank God!

lagering is an aging process to clear the beer with out filtration. What the beers you sre drinking have in common is extremly high levels of gluten. I mean really high. you would be better off chewing flour. If you drink gluten free beer make sure it is not sorgum which is also hard to digest. FWIW if you are not celiac. Drink (if my tab doesn't burst into flames) Corona. It is virtually gluten free. Red wine is generally not the best choice, especially the bettrr ones. For some reason the whites are easier to handle probably because of the tannins and sulfites. (Red wine wihout sulfites will not age well) Seenie is the wine expert though. As far as the hard liquors nothing with an umbrella. There is arelationship between digestion and TNF production but it is more to do with efficiencey of your meds than anything. Bombay Gin if it doesn't poisen you is pure. Avoid all vodka. Tequila is agood choice. If you want to make your own, I can give you some recipes for a great beer and several anti inflammarory wines.........br />
SublimeAmiga said:

Philly said:

OOH I love Corona, but hardly drink it. I should! I can't remember how I felt the last time I did. Also, I love Gin and 7up with a lime in it. :-) Thank you!

tntlamb said:

lagering is an aging process to clear the beer with out filtration. What the beers you sre drinking have in common is extremly high levels of gluten. I mean really high. you would be better off chewing flour. If you drink gluten free beer make sure it is not sorgum which is also hard to digest. FWIW if you are not celiac. Drink (if my tab doesn't burst into flames) Corona. It is virtually gluten free. Red wine is generally not the best choice, especially the bettrr ones. For some reason the whites are easier to handle probably because of the tannins and sulfites. (Red wine wihout sulfites will not age well) Seenie is the wine expert though. As far as the hard liquors nothing with an umbrella. There is arelationship between digestion and TNF production but it is more to do with efficiencey of your meds than anything. Bombay Gin if it doesn't poisen you is pure. Avoid all vodka. Tequila is agood choice. If you want to make your own, I can give you some recipes for a great beer and several anti inflammarory wines.........br />
SublimeAmiga said:

Philly said:

I find dairy really sets off my joints-first my guts(1-1/2 hrs post ingestion) and joints within 24. Have no idea if this is proven anywhere. I have trailed it on several occasions and am not trying again. Pain and agony not worth it, besides I like almond milk and coconut ice cream.
Stress definitely sets off a flare. I think this last one cam on as I was returning from a family funeral that involved a lot of travel. Next time in major airports I will request a wheelchair instead of hiking from one end to the other. So far I am not sure about etoh but rarely drink as between meds and small kids I have no desire. The odd time I might have a glass of rye or wine, rarely a beer. I do enjoy Guiness ( more like a meal) but have not noticed flaring post.

It is so interesting you say that lamb because I just had a massage on Saturday and on Monday I ha a massive flare of my spondylitis! I thought it was from weeding the garden? I love my massages, but maybe it’s doing more harm than good?

tntlamb said:

FWIW no one with the Spondylitis form of this disease should EVER and I do mean EVER engage in any type of massage therapy or spinal manipulation. Osteophyts can develop pretty quickly. that “flare” can easily become permananet paralysis or nerve damage. While paralysis is unusual nerve Damage is not. (It occurs all to easily anyway) Once it occurs there is not thing one you can do about it. I know the certified program here says NEVER to their students.

With PsA even without the Sponylitis type we form syndesmophytes which are a form of osteophyte that forms at the insertion point of tendons manipulation of these can and will cause permanent pain (especially the shoulders and hands). Occasionally surgery can correct it. Syndesmophytes are caused by inflammation but are also a gift of Osteo Arthritis.

Is this one of those times, I’m being harsh and insensitive? Maybe. This one form of alternative therapy we should absolutely avoid. Yes I still have massages but they are very limited…