Triggers

I am doing the eye thing right now. I have had double vision, blurry vision and rashes under my eye lids. My whites are red blood vessels. I am doing 3 different types of eye drops a day right now per Dr's orders. I can only read for a little while before I can not see any more for a hour or so. They are telling me that I have chronic dry eye. I am hoping that I do not have scleritis.

tk21773 said:

I too have had very bad experiences from massage to the neck and shoulder area. Excruciating pain the next day that only high doses of steroids could calm. Happened twice before I quit.

I have osteo and PsA. I used to take Humira, now on Embrel. I have learned that over doing it physically or even extreme mental stress can trigger a flare up. Pacing myself is best way to keep things normal (or close to). Wear good orthotic shoes definitely if you plan to be hiking and don't do too much per day. I have to be mindful of my footwear always and I need to rotate my shoes, not wear the same pair for more than two or three days to prevent problems. I work full time and have two kids, so I'm active. That's my best suggestion to keep pain, swelling and fatigue away. Always pace yourself.

My most recent mystery is pink eye, for the pass few months that won't clear. I'm told I have scleritis. I'm going for more lab work to identify other possible causes of eye inflammation.

oh geesh I wish I had seen this BEFORE I went to massage therapy..she awoke a screaming giant in my right shoulder and it traveled down my arm thru elbow to wrist. That was the one and only trip for me.

Flares here can be caused by almost anything...rainy days, hot humid days, butt freezing cold days, too much exercise, not enough exercise. But there are times I find I have to bite the bullet or suck it up in some cases so I can enjoy the grandkids or the gardens. Sunday was one of those days..5 hours at the fair with all 5 grandkids. Monday was a 'do nothing day'

I also have the 'eye thing' today it is like a knife is stuck in it and it is running like crazy. Doctor had given me dexamethasone drops for it but stopped them when he gave me oral steroids.

tntlamb said:

FWIW no one with the Spondylitis form of this disease should EVER and I do mean EVER engage in any type of massage therapy or spinal manipulation. Osteophyts can develop pretty quickly. that "flare" can easily become permananet paralysis or nerve damage. While paralysis is unusual nerve Damage is not. (It occurs all to easily anyway) Once it occurs there is not thing one you can do about it. I know the certified program here says NEVER to their students.

With PsA even without the Sponylitis type we form syndesmophytes which are a form of osteophyte that forms at the insertion point of tendons manipulation of these can and will cause permanent pain (especially the shoulders and hands). Occasionally surgery can correct it. Syndesmophytes are caused by inflammation but are also a gift of Osteo Arthritis.

Is this one of those times, I'm being harsh and insensitive? Maybe. This one form of alternative therapy we should absolutely avoid. Yes I still have massages but they are very limited................

I see your point Lamb but I do not know what to do about it for me. I may have to look at backing of from them but I do love to do my exercises in the pool and then get a masssage. I can be pain free for 24 hours! I would so miss that!

Yes, the Wilmer Eye Institute @ John Hopkins. They told me it's not uveitis, but scleritis. They think it may be related to another underlying issue. So I'm going for more labs. My eyes have been red and nasty for several months now.

Interesting, I was told I had dry eye as well. Used the Refresh and other lubricating drops but no change.

Not Understood said:

I am doing the eye thing right now. I have had double vision, blurry vision and rashes under my eye lids. My whites are red blood vessels. I am doing 3 different types of eye drops a day right now per Dr's orders. I can only read for a little while before I can not see any more for a hour or so. They are telling me that I have chronic dry eye. I am hoping that I do not have scleritis.

tk21773 said:

I too have had very bad experiences from massage to the neck and shoulder area. Excruciating pain the next day that only high doses of steroids could calm. Happened twice before I quit.

I have osteo and PsA. I used to take Humira, now on Embrel. I have learned that over doing it physically or even extreme mental stress can trigger a flare up. Pacing myself is best way to keep things normal (or close to). Wear good orthotic shoes definitely if you plan to be hiking and don't do too much per day. I have to be mindful of my footwear always and I need to rotate my shoes, not wear the same pair for more than two or three days to prevent problems. I work full time and have two kids, so I'm active. That's my best suggestion to keep pain, swelling and fatigue away. Always pace yourself.

My most recent mystery is pink eye, for the pass few months that won't clear. I'm told I have scleritis. I'm going for more lab work to identify other possible causes of eye inflammation.

Thanks for the info, lamb. I was never told that!!! I didn't find it harsh at all - important info to have. My massage therapist's husband has AS, and the techniques she uses with me are much different than "normal" massage. What she usually does is quite different from the technique she used that day (in a very limited way), and, yeah. it was not good at all.

tntlamb said:

FWIW no one with the Spondylitis form of this disease should EVER and I do mean EVER engage in any type of massage therapy or spinal manipulation. Osteophyts can develop pretty quickly. that "flare" can easily become permananet paralysis or nerve damage. While paralysis is unusual nerve Damage is not. (It occurs all to easily anyway) Once it occurs there is not thing one you can do about it. I know the certified program here says NEVER to their students.

With PsA even without the Sponylitis type we form syndesmophytes which are a form of osteophyte that forms at the insertion point of tendons manipulation of these can and will cause permanent pain (especially the shoulders and hands). Occasionally surgery can correct it. Syndesmophytes are caused by inflammation but are also a gift of Osteo Arthritis.

Is this one of those times, I'm being harsh and insensitive? Maybe. This one form of alternative therapy we should absolutely avoid. Yes I still have massages but they are very limited................

I have noticed that too much of anything will pretty much cause a flare for me. Too hot outside too cold or even too rainy will cause flares and of course too much physical activity. I am uses to being an independent woman who can do anything so I am still learning to accept the consequences of putting too much on my plate in one day…

My husband gives me massages on a regular basis, it’s, wonderful, especially my feet. But, never a manipulation!! Never never never. My flares trend to be stress, season changes, to much walking or extensive exercising. Just can’t do it. Dr says pool exercise only to keep from injuring joints

Thanks for sharing this. This looks exactly like what has been going on in my eyes these past months. I had never heard of this before and thought I just need to wear my glasses more. I will definitely check it out with my doctor.

tk21773 said:

I've double vision for the past three years...really only the closeup (laptop screen and reading) is the worst time of it. My optometrist gave me a prism in my lens to cure the double vision. And then at my next appointment she had to drastically increase the power of the prism. She said it could be lazy eye...but that makes no sense because it just appeared I was fine as a child and younger adult. Can this be from PsA? Is there something more specific that I should do? She told me to see an Opthamologist (which I failed to do. Last thing i need is ANOTHER doctor!) But I guess if my vision is at stake I really should

crookedtoes84 said:

Thanks for sharing this. This looks exactly like what has been going on in my eyes these past months. I had never heard of this before and thought I just need to wear my glasses more. I will definitely check it out with my doctor.

tk21773 said:

Wow I’m 6 years with PSA and I’m still trying to figure what triggers my flare ups

If you have PsA you should be seeing an opthamologist, not an optometrist, especially if you have ANY sort of eye problem. Please don't take chances with your eyes.

Qadosh2him said:

I've double vision for the past three years...really only the closeup (laptop screen and reading) is the worst time of it. My optometrist gave me a prism in my lens to cure the double vision.

And thanks from me too - same issues

crookedtoes84 said:

tk21773 said:

TNT,

Chalk me up to being harsh and insensitive. I have Psoriatic Arthritis and Ankylosing Spondylitis. I went away to a spa with my wife a couple years ago and had a "light massage", I will just pass the next time. The massage caused terrible back pain that pretty much ruined the rest of the trip. I worked in Physical Therapy and I knew that massage is contra-indicated for both diseases.

Flash forward to May of this year, my step father died so my 5 siblings and I all get together. My sister, who also has Ankylosing Spondylitis, woke up with extreme pain in her back. I suggested to take it easy this morning and try to do some stretches after taking any meds. My sister insisted, "I am sure if you just rub it out with some massage it will be fine." This is when I tried to explain to her that the damage that COULD be done far outweighs the benefits that she MAY get from a massage. After breakfast I entered the living room to find another brother rubbing my sisters back pretty aggressively, I was upset, but just let it go.

We should all be very careful as to what treatments we try, and PLEASE always tell any doctors and therapists that you have one of these diseases. Many people do not get what TNT is saying here, nerve damage some times does not regenerate, if you are lucky enough to get regeneration, it repairs at an average pace of 1 inch per year.

Now, as for what brings on a flare for me, I would say stress brought on the worst prolonged flare I have had. Weather often provides an increase in symptoms and sometimes I really do not know what causes the increase in symptoms. I sometimes feel that the disease seems to ebb and flow through cycles. I am glad someone brought this up, as I had forgot all about that experience and I would like to prevent anyone else from going through so much pain for so little potential help. PEACE!

tntlamb said:

I have been seeing an ophthalmologist. He has been treating my eyes. I would recommend that you do the same. He has given me two OTC drops. I use Refresh Sensitive Celluvisc individual dose at night just before I lay my head on the pillow. Then I use Systaine, individual dose for up to 12 hours for a single tube. I use this every 3 to 4 hours during the day. I have to be careful not to contaminate the end of the tube. Then I use restasis which is prescription and costly eye drop. I use it at night a half hour before the Celluvisc and again in the morning (every 12 hours). They again are in the individual dose tubes. Also you may want to change your hair shampoo to a "no more tears" type. If I get any regular shampoo in my eyes, they burn for several hours. Another thing that is causing problems is the water softener. The water has been ionized. For some reason this causes problem with my eyes. The ophthalmologist want me to wear goggles at night and when I shower. I have not done this yet. But I am working on it. I have Sleep Apnea so I have air blowing near and around my eyes at night. I just change my mask to see if I could eliminate the air.

Good Luck and please go see an ophthalmologist.

tk21773 said:

Interesting, I was told I had dry eye as well. Used the Refresh and other lubricating drops but no change.

Not Understood said:

tk21773 said:

What mask are you using? I'm about to go nuts finding one.

I was using a full face (nose and mouth) I have went to just a nose one and it is working better. But I keep loosing it at night during my sleep. Right how I have a loner to see if it will work or not. So it is still up in the air. I was told by someone to get a bella mask they told me that it was the only one they found that worked well. But of course the provider of the CPAP does not care this one. So I am trying one like it.

tntlamb said:

What mask are you using? I'm about to go nuts finding one.

I just talked to my opthamologist and he told me that the only cause and effect on the eyes from PSA is Uveitis. And it is very painful and very very acute. And you can lose your vision quickly. All the other issues, dry eyes, pink eye, ect are probably from other causes. My Dr has me cleaning my eyelids twice a day and it has made a huge difference in the severity of my dry eyes. Use a fresh cotton pad, a drop of baby shampoo and a drop of water. Lightly swipe across eyes from the inside edge to outside edge several times. Make sure to get some gentle contact with the edge of the eyelid where many of the lubricating glands are located. This keeps them unplugged and more likely to be able to moisturize your eyes correctly.

michael in vermont said:

Eye inflammation can be related to PsA. Are you seeing an opthalmologist who has some experience in inflammatory issues?

So far I found out alcohol and gardening.. and I didn't do them together I swear! lol :-) Oh and COLD climates!

Took me a long time to figure it out, but it's the wrong food. The first two items I stopped eating were cheese and white bread. That was close to 20 years ago and there has been experimentation since and supplements added but today I'm pretty much pain free with the arthritis (psoriatic and rheumatoid) and my psoriasis has almost disappeared.