Thumbnail fluctuation

Do all PsA patients have thumbnail fluctuation?

Like that: https://d2dct7y3250e4n.cloudfront.net/ht-staging/user_answer/avatars/401273/normal/open-uri20120913-24630-1nigwrm.jpeg?1347552906

I had seen it on my thumbnail when i was 5 years old. And i have been having it up to today. But mine is not seen bad like the photo.

Not all have it, but it is one of the things the Docs look for when making a diagnoses. Its more common on the toes however. (danged if I know why)

I can't seem to find any information on " thumbnail fluctuation" is there another name for it? I would like to learn more about this.

Looks just like my left thumb. Just did a Google search and came up with Beau's Lines.

This is what my nail psoriasis looks like currently. It has lines going vertically up and down my nails. Now this was much worse before and it went about halfway up my thumb nail but, I found clipping them down to the end of the dead nail part and scraping out the white stuff underneath helps a lot. I used to use steroid creams, for about 22 years (my doctor's did not inform me that these were hazardous and caused psoriasis to go through crazy flare up after using them) and then I quit using them in July 2012. I have actually been doing WAY better since stopping too! :)

Beaus lines are more indiictive of pustular psoriasis.

Mine is like this

SublimeAmiga said:

This is what my nail psoriasis looks like currently. It has lines going vertically up and down my nails. Now this was much worse before and it went about halfway up my thumb nail but, I found clipping them down to the end of the dead nail part and scraping out the white stuff underneath helps a lot. I used to use steroid creams, for about 22 years (my doctor's did not inform me that these were hazardous and caused psoriasis to go through crazy flare up after using them) and then I quit using them in July 2012. I have actually been doing WAY better since stopping too! :)

Well, as long as we're posting pics I think mine matches the original link pretty closely.

608-IMG_20130816_060326_509.jpg (29.5 KB)

I really like the wide range of photos in this blog because it shows that we can all have Nail Psoriasis and yet, all look different:

Nail Psoriasis Pictures

Here we list some typical nail psoriasis pictures and photos. There are images which cover a number of typical nail psoriasis symptoms so you can have a better understanding of what nail psoriasis actually looks like.

1. Finger nail discoloring ( discoloration )

Our first nail psoriasis image shows a discoloration in the nail from its normal healthy pink to a brownish orange color. This is a very common symptom in sufferers of nail psoriasis.

fingernail thickening nail psoriasis

2. Finger nail crumbling

Here we can see a crumbling of the fingernail from within. The nail bed builds up dead cells formed from the crumbling of the nail which needs to be cleaned out to avoid further health complications.

3. Finger nail pitting

Perhaps the most common of all nail psoriasis ( including fingernail and toenail ) is that of fingernail pitting. Here we can see small depressions in the nail ( pitting ). The pits could appear to be spread at random intervals as they do here or run in a vertical line along the length of the nail.

Fingernail nail pitting psoriasis

4. White areas on the nail plate ( leukonychia )

Leukonychia is a symptom of a number of health issues including psoriasis.

Leukonychia fingernail white nails

5. Splinter hemorrhage ( Dark lines in nail )

Splinter hemorrhages look like thin, red to reddish-brown lines of blood under the nails. They run in the direction of nail growth.

nail psoriasis - hemorrhage

6. Loosening of the nail (onycholysis )

A separation of the nail from the nail bed is another typical symptom of finger nail psoriasis and one of the most distressing for sufferers. In some cases the fingernail will recover and appearance can be maintained with good nail care while in other cases a total removal of the nail from the bed may be required before the nail can grow back once again.

onycholysis - nail coming off

7. Thickening nail bed ( subungual hyperkeratosis )

Thickening of the nail bed is caused by a build up of scale ( dead cells ) underneath the nail plate. This can become a source of embarrassment and frustration for people with nail psoriasis and requires good nail care treatment to avoid any worsening of the problem.

thickening finger nail

thickening finger nail

http://nailpsoriasishelp.blogspot.com/

My big toes have article 1 and 7.
2 years ago from the first pain i feel, article 1 appeared on only my left foot's big toe. Afterwards it formed into article 7. And now, my right foot's big toe appears like article 1. And it will formed into article 7.

My hand nails have article 4 and 5.

I have article 4 ever since i could remember. Article 5 has appeared together with my pain flaming.

This means that we can follow our kith and kin and if we see any symptom, we can inform them.

SublimeAmiga said:

I really like the wide range of photos in this blog because it shows that we can all have Nail Psoriasis and yet, all look different:

Nail Psoriasis Pictures

Here we list some typical nail psoriasis pictures and photos. There are images which cover a number of typical nail psoriasis symptoms so you can have a better understanding of what nail psoriasis actually looks like.

1. Finger nail discoloring ( discoloration )

Our first nail psoriasis image shows a discoloration in the nail from its normal healthy pink to a brownish orange color. This is a very common symptom in sufferers of nail psoriasis.

fingernail thickening nail psoriasis

2. Finger nail crumbling

Here we can see a crumbling of the fingernail from within. The nail bed builds up dead cells formed from the crumbling of the nail which needs to be cleaned out to avoid further health complications.

3. Finger nail pitting

Perhaps the most common of all nail psoriasis ( including fingernail and toenail ) is that of fingernail pitting. Here we can see small depressions in the nail ( pitting ). The pits could appear to be spread at random intervals as they do here or run in a vertical line along the length of the nail.

Fingernail nail pitting psoriasis

4. White areas on the nail plate ( leukonychia )

Leukonychia is a symptom of a number of health issues including psoriasis.

Leukonychia fingernail white nails

5. Splinter hemorrhage ( Dark lines in nail )

Splinter hemorrhages look like thin, red to reddish-brown lines of blood under the nails. They run in the direction of nail growth.

nail psoriasis - hemorrhage

6. Loosening of the nail (onycholysis )

A separation of the nail from the nail bed is another typical symptom of finger nail psoriasis and one of the most distressing for sufferers. In some cases the fingernail will recover and appearance can be maintained with good nail care while in other cases a total removal of the nail from the bed may be required before the nail can grow back once again.

onycholysis - nail coming off

7. Thickening nail bed ( subungual hyperkeratosis )

Thickening of the nail bed is caused by a build up of scale ( dead cells ) underneath the nail plate. This can become a source of embarrassment and frustration for people with nail psoriasis and requires good nail care treatment to avoid any worsening of the problem.

thickening finger nail

thickening finger nail

http://nailpsoriasishelp.blogspot.com/

My finger nails all have #3 Pitting and then a few of them have #1 Discoloration. My thumb nail just went through something more than #1 but, not quite any of the other options.... it had white stuff underneath it and I clipped it down and dug all the white stuff out. Some of my toes nails have discoloration right now too. I had a big toe nail get discolored and the nail actually lifted from the nail bed. I did the same thing and trimmed it down and dug out all the white stuff. It went away and grew back normal. Gotta love this stuff...

This thread got me to thinking about the middle toe on my left foot which has always had vertical pitted lines -- always as in since infancy. Makes me wonder how long I have actually had P.