This is such an interesting disease

I am a recently diagnosed person - several months ago. I have been taking methotrexate and humira for several months and have really been doing great. And then hello, I wake up this morning and I can't move, my hands are stiff and swollen, my back (which has never really gotten better) is worse, my left knee and foot are swollen to the point I have had a problem wearing a shoe today. I have no energy and all I want to do today is sleep. Oh and I have to catch a plane tomorrow at 11:30 to go to NM and train for a week. I think I am going to have my monthly glass of wine now and go pack for my trip. Really disease, why?

I love your voice in all of this. I am having a horrible time myself these days. This issue sucks. It has a mind of its own, right?

I know how you feel mornings are the worst when you have PsA …check out this interview I did with Culture Mag …
http://ireadculture.com/2013/01/news/profiles-in-courage/john-mccarthy/

MAT

I am sorry to hear about your flare, but don't get discourgaed. Your body could be fighting something right now, who knows. Keep on same track, call your doctor and try to enjoy the rest of your weekend. When you go to the airport, ask for wheelchair assistance so you do not injure yourself.

Hi Mary Anne,

I thought I wrote this. It's a carbon copy of my story. I was diagnosed several months ago and have been on Methatrexate and Humira for almost three months. It worked miraculouly initially but now not much... I know that w/o it I'd be in big trouble but I'm still plenty sore and pooped!

I'm seeing my doc on the 11th and have a TON of questions for her. One being should I try Enbrel or double the Humira dosage. I'm leary of the latter because I took my Humira yesterday (every other week) and am hardly noticing a difference today. I guess it'll take some time before finding the right treatment combo. I also have questions on diet and exercise. ...sorry you're hurtin'... we all feel for ya

Yeah It’s interesting alright lol. Sorry you are having a flare up. Very frustrating I know. I do know with me I have to be very careful about my diet to avoid a flare. Also, if I am stressed in any way, yep a flare… The list is unending lol. But, I am better on the enbrel mtx and sulfa. Then without it. Good luck, try not to stress :S ( the wine might help) :slight_smile:

Hi Patricia,

What kind of diet do you follow? I have been gluten-free for a little over a month and stay away from dairy and soy. The soy is the hardest - it is in everything! I don't know if it is helping though - right now, my neck and shoulders are so stiff and the muscle relaxer I took last night didn't do a thing for me. I am also on Humira and MTX and feel like it is not working anymore...

Yup this disease never ceases to fascinate me. How does it *suddenly* attack your joints, literally overnight and then it takes mooooooonnnnnnttthhhhsss to clear up. Why doesn't it clear up as suddenly as it appears? Fascinating.

Anyhoo, MAT hope your nasty flare up goes soon.

Westee, I have had rock hard muscles (in a bad way) in my neck and traps on and off for 3 yrs. I've been on 3 different muscle relaxers. They work best if taken on a consistent basis rather than 1 here, 1 there when I'm stiff. If you are super sensitive to them and can't function on them, increase the dose slowly. Your body will acclimate. I can even work on them now, although my muscle stiffness is finally at bay right now.

westee said:

Hi Patricia,

What kind of diet do you follow? I have been gluten-free for a little over a month and stay away from dairy and soy. The soy is the hardest - it is in everything! I don't know if it is helping though - right now, my neck and shoulders are so stiff and the muscle relaxer I took last night didn't do a thing for me. I am also on Humira and MTX and feel like it is not working anymore...

Has anyone tried Stelara? I've just had my 2nd dose and can't tell a difference at all! You are so right about it being an "interesting disease". I itch so much I just want to claw myself but my fingers hurt so I can't! I'm going to my first rheumy appt. Tuesday so I can't wait to see what goodies he'll prescribe!

Atlmom said:

Has anyone tried Stelara? I've just had my 2nd dose and can't tell a difference at all! You are so right about it being an "interesting disease". I itch so much I just want to claw myself but my fingers hurt so I can't! I'm going to my first rheumy appt. Tuesday so I can't wait to see what goodies he'll prescribe!