Doctor visit

My rheumatologist has a terrble bed side manner. She is cold and doesn't seem to listen to any of my symptoms. She ordered new x-rays to compare to old x-rays but didn't even give me a chance to look to see the new joint damage. She yanked the x-rays down and told me I was going to have to add Embrel to the Methotrexate I've taken for a year. I think she should of given me time to think about and digest this bad news.

I have had little relief from pain in my toes, feet, hands, etc. The main thing Methotrexate has done is damage my liver and colon. I'm freaked out about adding another drug to suppress my immune system.

WOW! I understand how worried you must be I am still a nervous wreak with taking methotrexate and humira together but it has really helped with my symptoms, the pain swelling and stiffness has greatly improved and the sores on my skin and nails and scalp have improved almost completly,

Maybe you could find a new rhumey I think with a disease like this it is so important that your doctor cares and allows you to express your feelings and concerns with them because as we all know PsA really can make you feel helpless at times, I wish you the best of luck with the enbrel and pray for a major improvement for your health!

I can relate to your anxiety about the drugs. The docs are so used to prescribing them; they often forget that this is all new to us. However, there is no excuse for her manner with you. I have seen doctors like this, but only once. I don't give them a second chance. I currently drive over 100 miles to see my rheumy. I'm in a small town and the only rheumy here is one who will not have another go at me. It's a hassle driving so far, but it is so worth it for my emotional health to see a doc who has time for me and tries to understand. I'm so sorry you are experiencing this with your current rheumy. Is there a chance you might see someone else who would be a better fit?

Such a relief to me that you understand Byrd Feeder. I go 70 miles to this doctor but there is another Rheumatologist in the same office. I would like to go to her and see if she would be a better listener. Only problem that is it might feel awkward because they are on the same floor, and I would see my first Rheumy when I have an appointment.

Oh, Yvonne, it's hard enough without having to deal with your rheumatologist's cold interpersonal manner. I'm sorry you've not found something yet to stop the disease process. This may be all-in-a-day's-work for the rheumatologist, but it sure isn't routine for you!

One of the things I don't understand is, why she would leave you on the mtx. It hasn't done any good -- what's the point of your continuing to take it?

I wouldn't hesitate a moment to switch to the other rheumy. No need to feel awkward about her possibly noticing: you are the client here, and if she doesn't meet your needs, go elsewhere. She is being paid to do her job, and if you don't appreciate her manner, that is not your problem.

I guess it's a good thing that we have somewhere to vent and people who understand what we're going through!

Seenie

Seenie said:

Oh, Yvonne, it's hard enough without having to deal with your rheumatologist's cold interpersonal manner. I'm sorry you've not found something yet to stop the disease process. This may be all-in-a-day's-work for the rheumatologist, but it sure isn't routine for you!

One of the things I don't understand is, why she would leave you on the mtx. It hasn't done any good -- what's the point of your continuing to take it?

I wouldn't hesitate a moment to switch to the other rheumy. No need to feel awkward about her possibly noticing: you are the client here, and if she doesn't meet your needs, go elsewhere. She is being paid to do her job, and if you don't appreciate her manner, that is not your problem.

I guess it's a good thing that we have somewhere to vent and people who understand what we're going through!

Seenie

Being able to vent in this way to people experiencing similar problems has lifted my spirits. I so want the opinions and advice from the good people here. There are no support groups where I live for PsA, fibro, or for depression.

Hi again, Yvonne,

I'm glad you found the discussion board. This is a good group of folks who are well informed about PsA and all that goes with it. Sometimes, just talking with others who truly understand works wonders for the soul.

I believe Seenie is on-target with her response about seeing the other rheumy. This is YOUR experience we're talking about--it involves your physical health and emotional well being. If you think there is anything out there (including this other doc) that might help you, then you owe it to yourself to give it a go. Keep us posted!

Dear Yvonne,

I'm so sorry that your rheumatologist is such a jerk. She doesn't just have a bad beside manner - she's just plain rude. And that's not acceptable.

Of course she should have given you the opportunity to see your x-rays for as long as you wanted to and answered any and all questions that you had about them.

So why is it that she's making the decision about adding Embrel to methotrexate? She may have some knowledge and insights here, but you are the person who gets to check out the information, consider other options and consult as many people as you want, and then make a decision about your own care. This is your body and your life.

If methotrexate is damaging your liver, you have some serious questions that you need to talk with someone about.....someone who is willing to listen to your concerns, share their knowledge, look up things for you if necessary, and explain your range of options. Of course she should have given you time to think about this.

I'm with everyone who says it's time to say goodbye to this woman and find a rheumatologist who extends basic human courtesy to you. And it needs to be someone who can explain to you why you are not getting symptom relief and what can be done about that. I know that some of us are more assertive than others, and changing doctors is not as easy for all of us to do. But it became clear to me after seeing my rheumatologist three times that she would not take the time to communicate with me, and I found another rheumatologist with whom I now have an excellent relationship. I should have switched sooner. I send you wishes for the very best of luck with everything. Maybe this rheumatologist has done you a favor by pushing you to find a doctor who will do a lot better job for you.