Third vaccine

For those of us in the United States, the CDC has put out definitive guidance regarding who qualifies for a third vaccine - Additional Dose of mRNA COVID-19 Vaccine for Patients Who Are Immunocompromised | CDC

I know I’ll be reaching out to my doctor’s office tomorrow to find out how to go about this. Tnf inhibitors are on the list, and that’s my only qualifying medication or condition, as I’m not on prednisone or mtx.

1 Like

Italy will probably give a third shot to the ‘fragile category’ in the fall, so I should qualify. For the first two Pfizer shots I was told to be off Mtxt a week before and until a week after the second shot, so I expext will have to be off mxt before and after on similar periods

1 Like

will also try to limit cortisone for my asthma as much as possible

Thanks very much @Stoney for posting that - great to see they’ve finally got a recommendation (we are so slow with the vax in Australia it’ll be 2023 by the time we get to it :joy:, but at least we know what to look forward to!)

And I’m scheduled for it on Wednesday, and I told my mom and she’s scheduled for tomorrow. Not surprisingly, there’s supply.

I called my doctor’s office and spoke with the nurse. The advice was that if I’m eligible to get right on it.

3 Likes

The UK is set to give everyone over age 50 plus the clinically vulnerable (us lot mostly at least on DMARDs and/or biologics) a third vaccine from September. I personally can’t wait either.

2 Likes

Ok, being a bit thick and slow, I need to ask…At times we are called immunosuppressed or immunocompromised but on biologics etc I thought that we are now immunonormalized…what the heck?! Since PsA, I haven’t had as much as a sniffle and my typical allergies are gone…so why booster number 2? (Since the second jab was booster number 1…3rd jab but 2nd booster) And, why would we expect that this next jab will be the last? The virus will continue to morph like the cold virus which would imply a need for boosters every 2-3 months. Sorry for this but I am officially immuno-confused!! Maybe we should be called, “The Immuno-challenged” :wink:

2 Likes

I understand completely what you’re saying Amos. That the medications help to regulate our overactive immune system that is attacking us. Honestly, I’m going with the CDC recommendations which includes tnf inhibitors as a reason to get the third shot now. Otherwise I think they are starting third shots for everybody within the next month or so in the states. Again CDC recommendation seems to be that people will be due for a booster proximately 8 months after their last shot. Everything keeps changing so it makes it a little bit hard to keep on top of things.

1 Like

Immunonormalized is certainly the goal. BUT that would require our meds to be working at 100%. Do you know or have you ever heard of anyone in that enviable position??? My third is coming up. Just looking for a providor that hasn’t read the 8 mos after the second poke recommendation…

3 Likes

People on biologics are at higher risk for infections, so I’d consider it immunocompromised.

Only a medical professional can say whether we should get the booster though. I’m going to ask my doctor about it soon.

2 Likes

Absolutely!

I call us ‘immunomodulated’ as we’re certainly not ‘compromised’ really, well we are without PsA meds but with PsA meds I consider us ‘modulated’. With a ‘more’ normally functioning immune system given our meds, we do find our immune systems work more efficiently on the usual sniffles and whatnot. So unlike @dazqz I don’t actually see I’m a higher risk of infections at all whilst PsA medicated. Indeed I consider it the opposite. Certainly I’m far more healthy now on a day to day basis than before I was medicated for PsA.

And I think you’re right Covid will continue to morph. But that means we’ll most likely have boosters always, probably like the flu vaccine, and possibly more frequently depending on how Covid morphs and how virulent it is in the community.

But also there’s a dearth of research of whether us lot are making enough antibodies given the vaccine as has been discussed on here before but hopefully we will know more as time goes on. In the meantime I’ll take every Covid vaccine booster going frankly.

2 Likes

It seems like different medications, dose amounts, combinations of medications, and patients will have different effects, but I wouldn’t disregard the warnings on the medication, if there are any.

My only experience is with biologics, but I’m immunocompromised and have to be careful.

1 Like

I got my third vaccine yesterday. Since I am on Cosentyx I qualified. Having a 4 month old grandson, I don’t want to risk him in any way. Luckily I had no real side effects but tiredness. So I went to bed early. I’m not going to argue with the vaccine boosters for me. I would do anything to protect him and be in his world as long as possible.

5 Likes

I’m so grateful that my kids are old enough to be vaccinated, and young enough that there’s no grandkids. I was just offering to watch a friend’s infant if our religious school opens in person though. As much as I would love to watch the baby, it definitely brings up those concerns about transmission.

4 Likes

FWIW today was infusion day and my rheumie sent the nurse into the infusion room with my booster…

4 Likes

Surprise! I guess that means that your doctor approves of the third dose.

1 Like

Does anyone know if all three doses are the same in volume and make up?

1 Like

Yes, there’s no change in the formulation or dose size.

1 Like

I am scheduled for my booster shot (3rd) Moderna tomorrow. Have not changed any of my meds for any of them and only had issues several days after my second shot ( mini flare. Symptoms). I will let you know how it goes.

4 Likes