Current COVID Vaccine - Rinvoq (and other meds)

Darn it !!!

So I was reading another forum and apparently you aren’t supposed to keep taking Rinvoq/JAK inhibitors if you get the latest COVID vaccine - you should take 7 days off. Didn’t think to look that up - I had an absolutely miserable week last week, so much pain, so many symptoms, so tired. I hope it doesn’t affect its efficacy. Ugh.

Here’s the article - it covers other types of meds as well.

I checked this out in the UK and there’s resolutely no such advice on Rinvoq or other JAKs as regards Covid vaccine boosters. We carry on as normal. And that’s in the face of the latest present rollout of boosters for the over 75’s and people on our meds. My appt is tomorrow.

No one I know on JAKs having had the latest vaccine or previous Covid booster vaccines has been ill either.

Ha ha you beat me to updating this for the UK. I contacted a UK PsA centre of excellence to check this yesterday and the instruction, as Poo says, is not to interrupt my Rinvoq treatment. My vaccine is next week.

Of the four doses I have had so far I was unwell for a week after the first (Astra Zeneca) but fine for the following three (AZ and Pfizer x 2). As a precaution I take a dose of paracetamol (Tylenol) beforehand.

Based on the absence of any negative reporting that I’ve seen, and my rheumatologists advice, I have no concerns about having the vaccine and continuing with my daily Rinvoq.

1 Like

The only time I was told to stop Rinvoq was when I had a sever upper tooth infection that went into my sinuses. After I think 7 days off of Rinvoq I didn’t feel any worse or better as far as PsA goes.

Interesting. FWIW, I have had six COVID shots - all but one were Moderna and the the Moderna knocked me on my butt the next day - very painful arm, lymph node in my arm, and SO tired, just slept the whole day and was fine after that.

Turned down Moderna to go back to Pfizer the next time.

My last one was Pfizer as well and I feel like I lost a week to a lot of pain and fatigue, a very bad flare - different vaccine ? Maybe not the Rinvoq ? Who knows - the Rinvoq is not helping much but it’s only been just under a month.

In all honesty I think it’s pretty unlikely to be a consequence of concurrent Rinvoq. We’d be aware if there was a flood of adverse reactions being notified to rheumatologists, AbbVie and the relevant health authorities.

Most people I know, both healthy and with chronic health conditions, have had some level of reaction to at least one of their vaccines, both covid and annual influenza. Best way to avoid the sore arm with any vaccination is to windmill the arm like crazy for as close to 10 minutes as you can manage. A regular international traveller told me this 20 odd years ago and it does work as it helps to disperse the vaccine through the muscle tissue.

Glad you’re already feeling the benefit of Rinvoq. I’m at week 7 and it’s still only a glimmer but I’m nothing if not a patient patient after the last twelve years.

1 Like

Rinvoq was very slow to get going in my system and I didn’t receive full results until after 8 months. But each of us is different. My rheumy said that I was the slowest to respond that he had seen so far.

Oops - had to edit my post. The Rinvoq is not helping much. :face_with_open_eyes_and_hand_over_mouth:
My mornings are very painful and I’m done mid afternoon - probably the worst I’ve felt.

I’m sorry to hear that, I hoped you were one of the ‘early responders’. Rinvoq is my 5th biologic and 8th treatment in twelve years so I am fairly resigned to the waiting periods. I’d been off all meds for nearly 9 months (due to a rare adverse reaction to etanercept … hot on the tails of one to sekukinumab), except steroids to treat the reactions, so I’ve not started in a flare although my SI joints have been pretty consistently bad and just these last couple of days have improved alot. Maybe they would have anyway or maybe it’s the Rinvoq, time will tell.

Hope things get better for you soon, at least knowing @Amos took so long for it to work should give us both hope.

I had my whatever number Covid booster on Thursday - it was either number 6 or 7. I simply can’t remember now. Last time it was the Moderna one and this time it was the Pfizer one.

This time I didn’t even get a sore arm. Think that’s down to the skill of the person injecting me though. Previously I have felt like I’ve been stabbed by some of them.

Took my biologic yesterday and I’m absolutely fine.