Surgury

Hi everyone,
I was diagnosed with PsA a year and a half ago. I am now taking mtx weekly and only taking prednisone as needed for a flare up. I am scheduled to have surgury on my foot to relieve pain due to osteo arthritis that is exaserbated (sp?) by PsA. What I am wondering is will this send me into a flare like the flu did? I am scared in many ways about so many aspects of this desease.

HI tyjane. What type of erosion , swelling pain do you have? Have you tried steriod shots into the joint? I too will one day need surgery on my ankle/foot. I have been having ankle/foot issues for 2 years. I just had a successful steroid injection into the joint. The swelling and 90% of the pain is gone. I just have to watch how much I am on my feet. I spent the first week icing every time I had pain in the ankle.The first shot ( 18 months ago ) was not as successful as this one. Surgeon did it the first timen, 2nd time the rheum did it. Type of steroid? this one was kenalog last one was something else I can't recall.

After my knee surgeries I did not go into a flare.

good luck to you. foot pain is the worst.

What kind of foot/ankle surgery?..I am a veteran of 9 of them, unfortunately.

You have to talk to your rheummy, about when to get off Mtx, pre-surgery, and when to restart.

Your going to have pain meds, after your surgery, so that should help some with the flares.

Your going to have to elevate that foot a lot. Plan ahead, freeze some meals..

What kind of cast or boot wil you have?

I don't know, you might not flare as bad, but it's something we cannot predict. You will be resting, and elevating that foot a lot

take care

I stopped mtx after taking it for 3 mounts and I got a full body rash. But the Dr said that it could have been luck of the draw. But he did say. Prednisone can make u have a flare up after taking it. And it should only be taken in a small dose.

I hope all the best for u.

jot1 said:

HI tyjane. What type of erosion , swelling pain do you have? Have you tried steriod shots into the joint? I too will one day need surgery on my ankle/foot. I have been having ankle/foot issues for 2 years. I just had a successful steroid injection into the joint. The swelling and 90% of the pain is gone. I just have to watch how much I am on my feet. I spent the first week icing every time I had pain in the ankle.The first shot ( 18 months ago ) was not as successful as this one. Surgeon did it the first timen, 2nd time the rheum did it. Type of steroid? this one was kenalog last one was something else I can't recall.

I haven't had a "flare" from surgery (five thus far), but I have had my easiest recovery when they used Torodol as the primary pain med after And the extra anti inflammatory might be why. I have been fortunbate not to have to have had foot surgery (not that I haven't wanted to cut it off from time to time) One of my PsA buddies here had the foot thing and found a "knee scooter" invaluable.... Crutches put a lot of stress on spine and shoulders that could get things rocking and rollin.....

Best of luck

tyjane said: Hi jot1,

I don't know what the name of my surgury is but the pediotrist is going to remove some bone chips floating around by my great toe and also shave the bone that connects to the great toe. It is bone on bone now. I will be in a boot and off work for one week with a 3 week to remove the boot. Thank you for the advice about the mtx I have a phone appt with my rheumy tomorrow and will ask about that. I hope I will be able to stand after this is done as my work is a standing job.
Thanks again!

Hi Sheena. I will have to talk to my rheumy about mtx withdrawl tomorrow. Thank you for the heads-up and well wishes.
Sheena said:
I stopped mtx after taking it for 3 mounts and I got a full body rash. But the Dr said that it could have been luck of the draw. But he did say. Prednisone can make u have a flare up after taking it. And it should only be taken in a small dose.

I hope all the best for u.

Hi tntlamb. I am encouraged that you have not had a flare after surgury (and so many for you). I guess I am afraid of the unknown and it took months to wean off of prednisone. Thank you for the well wishes.
tntlamb said:

I haven't had a "flare" from surgery (five thus far), but I have had my easiest recovery when they used Torodol as the primary pain med after And the extra anti inflammatory might be why. I have been fortunbate not to have to have had foot surgery (not that I haven't wanted to cut it off from time to time) One of my PsA buddies here had the foot thing and found a "knee scooter" invaluable.... Crutches put a lot of stress on spine and shoulders that could get things rocking and rollin.....

Best of luck