So is this a "Flare"

So - I am fairly new and was reading a whole heap of discussions trying to find out if what I am experiencing is actually a "flare".

I have been on MTX for 4 weeks now. I was starting to see small improvements in morning stiffness and pain levels, and also a clear up of my P, which was exciting. BUT last Thursday I thought the end of the world had come. I have had pain off the scale for me, stiffness more than ever and my Ps is worse than ever. I leave a snow trail in my wake and I am getting itchiness in areas where I haven't had lesions for years. My MTX day is Friday and I have seemed to have a small amount of relief in the days after,but not this time, If anything I think this is the worst I have ever felt. If feels like my PsA is fighting back - does that sound silly?

I spent yesterday mostly in bed - I felt that bad. Feeling so low as I had been quite hopeful that my life would begin to take a change for the better. Has anyone experienced similar symptoms before?

I am off to see my Rheumy on Wednesday and hoping he has some answers, but thought I might chuck it out to the experts too.

Cheers guys!

A flare is an increase in symptoms, and what you are describing certainly sounds like that. Right now just take good care of yourself, and go easy. You said you'll be seeing the doctor on Wednesday. That's good that you were getting a response, but the rheumy may opt to add something in.

One of the more interesting things that has come out in the last few years is that an area that has had Ps appears to be genetically altered meaning that it is highly likley the Ps can reappear in those areas later on as it really isn't ever gone... (comforting ain't it)

Are you taking anything else or did you just finish up prednisone? That often causes a flair

Its not uncommon to hear what you are saying, often all that is necessary is a change of dosage. Make sure when yopu talk to your Doc that you make it clear you are getting relief, it just runs out of steam a day or two early.

Just home from my visit to the Rheumy. You were right Stoney & tnlamb in that he was impressed that we are showing some response with just the low dose. He is planning to increase the dose, but will wait till we get the results of the bloods first. Got to check that liver function!! So thanks for all your kind support - you got me though a bad few days. Thankfully today is better. xxx

Have you been exposed to strep or a strep illness in the last few weeks? This is usually a trigger and even the meds don't help on those days. Like lamb says it never goes away it just LURKS for want of a better word. Rest when you need to, good luck. I hope the sun shines on you today and you can recharge a little :)

That is interesting Lamb. I've read a lot of stories regarding meds that worked for the arthritis and then stopped working over time. Is this the same for the psoriasis? It's as though ones body eventually becomes immune to the meds....

tntlamb said:

One of the more interesting things that has come out in the last few years is that an area that has had Ps appears to be genetically altered meaning that it is highly likley the Ps can reappear in those areas later on as it really isn't ever gone... (comforting ain't it)

Are you taking anything else or did you just finish up prednisone? That often causes a flair

Its not uncommon to hear what you are saying, often all that is necessary is a change of dosage. Make sure when yopu talk to your Doc that you make it clear you are getting relief, it just runs out of steam a day or two early.

Oh I know what you mean. Whenever I have pain and redness suddenly...I always think the PsA is fighting with the meds lol When i have a flare....I get redness and a lot of swelling. For quite some time I couldn't move my hands because of the swelling. Once the swelling went down the pain subsided. The P is on and off but mine piles up like a cake on my head when it's bad and makes me crazy.

Ibuprofen is my friend :)

Oh Tara Lynn - totally. I have had Psoriasis for the best part of 40 years. I have tried every new and wonderful drug that ever appeared on the market. In general regardless of the mechanism, or drug involved you seem to get an almost miraculous result for a period of weeks, months or years, then gradually the Psoriasis just comes back as strong as ever. Over time I can get the same response by changing simple things like shampoo and even my water source (we have mains, bore and rainwater supplies available).

The onset of PsA in the last few years - but only recently diagnosed has been accompanied by my largest breakout of P in my life. Oh well - I continue to trial and test.

On another note - doc called earlier with my blood results. Liver is perfect and although he thinks I would show results with an increase to my dosage, said he might wait until after Christmas, then I can have a couple of drinks Christmas/New Year - only no more than 1 Standard drink every 2nd day - and if bloods are still good he will up the dose next visit.

Does that sound right?

I started out with a gradual increase of MTX. Personally, a gradual increase is best to help manage side effects. I went up to 8 (2.5mg) pills weekly and then switched to injections. I have my blood work checked monthly and so far everything has been good. As far as alcohol consumption, it's not recommended with MTX due to the fact that the medication is so hard on your liver.