Newbie seeking advice re flare up

Hi, I’m not new to PsA but brand new to this forum. I was on 25mg of MTX for three years, 20mg for a year and two months ago dropped again to 15mg.
I’ve just had the most acute flare up I’ve ever experienced, shocking pain in my feet, fingers, the base of my thumbs and one ankle. I literally could not get a shoe that is normally a comfy fit on that foot. Cooking was a nightmare because my hands were just not doing what they were told.
Things are starting to calm down today, I’ve been popping paracetamol and ibuprofen like smarties and I’m in pain but nowhere near as stiff and feeble as yesterday, and I can get the shoe on with a bit of effort.
My question is: Should I contact my rheumy and tell him about this or is that just being a bit of a baby? My next scheduled appointment with him is July 2023.
Thanks for reading/listening

You’re only seeing your rheumatologist once a year? Are you being monitored in terms of your blood work?

That sounds like a pretty intense flare, without much instruction as to what to do. I would encourage you to contact your rheumatologist, and try to come up with a flare plan. It might be a temporary high dose of NSAIDs, or it might be a steroid dose pack, or. . . .

1 Like

I get my bloods done every three months, for the first year or two it was monthly but now because I’ve been stable for a good while its reduced. Thanks for your feedback, I didn’t think I was being too dramatic about it but its difficult to be sure in isolation - it’s really appreciated.

1 Like

Welcome @WhereBear! Yikes, I hate those flares. Unfortunately, if you are “normal” like all of us, by time you get in to see your rheumy, you will be “fine”. But I would attempt an appointment both for you and the rheumy’s sake, you never know if this is just a flare or a more on going decline in your health. You likely already are doing this ,I keep a PsA diary of the events surrounding its affect on my life. Otherwise I can never remember if an appointment etc was PCE or PCE…(Post Covid Era or Pre-Covid Era) :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’m ashamed to say I’ve not kept a PsA diary before but it’s a great idea, thank you. And such a helpful classification method! I’ve got a call booked in with our local rheum helpline tomorrow morning, so hopefully I’ll get some pain management advice at least and a flare plan if I’m lucky. Many thanks

1 Like

Even if it’s just to get it on record that you had a flare that was pretty bad, I don’t think it’s ever a bad idea to be in touch with your doctor.

I will admit though that there are definitely times that I have not gotten in touch with my doctor and I should have. The case in point was that I walked on a broken foot for 4 months before finally getting imaging. That is likely why I don’t have needing surgery on it.

2 Likes

Ouch! Broken foot, I bet that nipped a bit. I’m really pleased I took yours and Amos’ advice I got a good telling off from the Rheumy helpline nurse and now I’m under strict orders to keep a diary and to speak to them as soon as a flare occurs so that we can discuss increases and/or changes of meds, etc. Thanks so much to both of you.

4 Likes

Excellent! Thank you for the update

I learned everything from @stoney!

2 Likes