Starting Remicade with a cold?

I have a slight head cold, feel pretty icky and am due to start my first Remicade infusion today. I called and spoke to the nurse yesterday who said that it's up to me, as long as I don't have a fever. I figured I'd turn to the REAL experts...you all...to ask what you would do!?!??!

Thanks!

~jackie

If it were *me* getting my FIRST infusion, I'd consider putting it off until I felt better. I find it very important to know how I react to drugs, and would probably not get an accurate picture of how I reacted to it if I were feeling icky in the first place. But that's me.

I've been on Remicade for a while and would totally get an infusion with just a slight head cold. I usually feel lousy for a couple days after my infusion, so recouping from cold and infusion together wouldn't be too bad.

So, yeah, that probably wasn't too helpful. LOL Good luck on making the decision. :)

My rule of thumb with getting my Remicade is if I don't have a fever I go. I frequently feel flu like when my inflammation is high. I get chills, slight nausea and headache and no appetite. I can feel really icky like I am coming down with something really bad. I seem to do this 2 weeks before my infusion and for 2 weeks after. I have sent a note to my doctor hoping we can reduce the interval between infusions. So I would get the infusion. There you have it: the experts all have a different take but that is what makes this such a great site, each of us is an expert on our own experience with PsA and hopefully will help you become an expert on yours. Good luck, I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers as you get your first Remicade.

HI JDT, I was getting over a bug when I got my first infusion and I was fine. The first dose should be lower than what you will ultimately get. Starting with my 5th infusion, I'm wiped out for 2 days after the infusion - but everyone is different. Some people don't have any after effects.

Every time I go they ask me if I had any infections or colds. I had just gotten over one but it had only been about 4 days since stopping antibiotics and I had to reschedule. Better safe than sorry.

They rescheduled me! I’m glad because I’ve felt progressively worse as the day has gone on. Thanks everyone! Until the next time…

Good luck JDT ! The Remicade has worked wonderfully for my pain, I hope you also get good results.

JDT said:

They rescheduled me! I'm glad because I've felt progressively worse as the day has gone on. Thanks everyone! Until the next time....

Thanks, Frances! Knock on wood, right now my pain is minimal! I have a shoulder impingement that I had injected a couple of weeks ago and that bothers me depending upon what I reach for, but other than that, things are quiet for the moment. So glad it helped you, and hopeful that it brings my inflammatory markers down.

~jackie

Frances said:

Good luck JDT ! The Remicade has worked wonderfully for my pain, I hope you also get good results.

JDT said:

They rescheduled me! I'm glad because I've felt progressively worse as the day has gone on. Thanks everyone! Until the next time....