Skin symptoms

I thought I'd throw vanity to the wind and post pics of my skin symptoms right now, since I'm in a holding pattern until test results come back and I see the rheumatologist in a couple weeks. I've been reading that nail indications are pitting, which I have a tiny bit of, but it's mostly deep vertical ridges that have been developing. My toes are terrible. Numb/tingles, nails are messed up, loads of pain and swelling. I've been getting fluid filled blister type lesions on my hands/fingers for years and years, and now I get them on my face and neck. Feel like lymph nodes getting attacked, but no help from doctors. Trouble is it's cyclical and when I finally get the derm appointment, they're gone. So I take pictures and he says nickel allergy. Well, maybe not. Thoughts?

Thank you for posting the pictures. I have started to get little blisters on my fingers-just like the one on your finger- and it never dawned on me that it could be from PsA. Are you sure that's not a picture of my foot? If its not-then I have its twin. Sometimes the nail on my second toe feels like someone is trying to pull it off. My feet turn bright red and feel like they are on fire. If your doctors aren't listening to you and you are not getting any treatment, maybe it is time to look for a new doctor or at least get another opinion.

Have you ever had chicken pox? Is it possible that you could have shingles? That virus can reactivate due to stress.

Interesting. I've occasionally had blisters like this appear on my fingers .... same position just above the DIP joint but as best I can remember always on my ring fingers. Never considered that it might be connected to psoriasis.

Well let me throw the possibility of Guttate Psoriass The thing with Guttate is it comes and goes without warning and frequently is directly connected to Strep infections. As you know strep can lay dormant for long periods without symptoms. One of the times it frequently "comes" is following a dose of biologics or a DMARD.

Remember Guttate can be quite subtle. These pictures show a good case of it. Mine are fewer in number and lighter pink. I get them frequently but always in the same places.

oh my!!!!! this is a mild version of the rash I got with every drug they have tried for my PsA. and yes I said mild..in my case it covered up to 75% of my skin and takes months to clear up after stopping the meds..Even the dermatologist said it was contact dermatitis this time when I saw him.. Last time he said it was a pustule form of psoriasis. this is a pic of my leg taken in mid January of this year. I had seen my GP at end of December and he was impressed with how clear my skin was then. in two weeks went from clear to this. It started as the wee pustules in your photo..and always starts in same spots, my neck,arms,lower legs and spreads like wildfire. tntlamb..do you think prednisone is enough to keep it away? and do you have any recommendations as to next drug for me? Biologics are out of the question now, GP thinks perhaps remicade will be next choice? Dermatologist didn't seem to want to give me any recommendations when I saw him.

tntlamb said:

Well let me throw the possibility of Guttate Psoriass The thing with Guttate is it comes and goes without warning and frequently is directly connected to Strep infections. As you know strep can lay dormant for long periods without symptoms. One of the times it frequently "comes" is following a dose of biologics or a DMARD.

302-IMG_0061.JPG (261 KB)

My experience with any steroids and psoriasis (topical, oral, or injected) is that literally within hours of stopping it comes back with a vengence. The trouble is you feel so good while on them, you forget you have stop or you wake up on the wrong side of the dirt. I would ask about Otezia. Its way different than most of the bios.

yes I know about the wrong side of the dirt :-)..have been too close to that a few times now. thank you. I will ask about it on Monday. and also start the decrease to rid my body of prednisone. It doesn't ever make me feel like a million dollars tho..does nothing for my arthritis and sleep is awful, dreams are nightmarish but it does work for the skin..again..thank you .

If anyone is interested..I have found a skin cream..all natural that works really well. They also use it on babies and for ezcema ..it is called Avene..made in france..sold at my local Shopper's Drug Mart. they make a complete line of products including body wash and sunscreen.

tntlamb said:

My experience with any steroids and psoriasis (topical, oral, or injected) is that literally within hours of stopping it comes back with a vengence. The trouble is you feel so good while on them, you forget you have stop or you wake up on the wrong side of the dirt. I would ask about Otezia. Its way different than most of the bios.

Speaking of prednisone … about eighteen months ago, one of our top Canadian politicians gained a lot of weight really quickly, and his face went all round and puffy. The buzz in the press was that he was ill, and questions were raised about his ability to do his job as Finance Minister. At that point, he came out publicly about his severe autoimmune skin disorder, which was being treated with prednisone. Well yes, that would explain it. Yesterday, he died suddenly of a massive heart attack. Sadly, there had been no alternative way of controlling his disease. Wrong side of the dirt indeed.

I’m really sad about his death. I didn’t always agree with his politics, but he was a sincere and committed public servant. A good guy. Rotten disease, with no good treatment –
http://www.cbc.ca/news/health/bullous-pemphigoid-how-it-affects-the-body-1.2605978

decided to do some pre-appointment research . Otezia is apremalist..I have taken that and it also gave me the rash you described above..so it is also off the list. Will see what doc says on Monday

How did you take your otezia?

orally 1 tablet daily. I was part of the study group

tntlamb said:

How did you take your otezia?

thank you for posting the picks. my nails look just like yours. i was in war with my hands and nails all winter and still am, but i never tough that this is psa...