Should I stop MTX per Rheumy request?

My Rheumy has told me to stop MTX since I have not seen any positive results in 6 weeks! I wonder if It is best for me to stay on it until my next visit on 6/3. I see here many of you are on a Biologic and MTX combo, wondering if that will be my Rheum’s next step but then why stop right? I get 3 days of headaches, weakness, nausea after I take MTX so I have mixed feelings about stopping. I know many of you have a lot more knowledge on the subject! I have a good Rheumy at least she is good to me. She told me I responded to treatment after she gave me a shot of Depomedrol and my EST rate and CSR went down significantly, So I trust she will move on to the next step. Also should I discuss the possibility of a combo of meds to Rheumy.

Correction 8 weeks on MTX.

That still seems a bit quick. My rheumy kept me on MTX for 6 months. I got nothing out of it and switched over to leflunomide. But 8 weeks is not long. I would have expected it to be increased and given more time.

I would listen to your doctor - there is a reason why he had you stop. Until you talk to him, all that can be said is assumptions. Maybe blood work or maybe he was just making sure you met a requirement. For many doctors, when you start a new drug they cut back on the DMARDs and steroids. The least amount of medication is the best approach.

You should always do exactly as the doctor orders. She's not making a "request", she's giving you "instructions." Perhaps she wants to try a different drug, one that might require "washing out" all others, such as methotrexate. Then, if you don't cooperate and stop the mtx, you won't be able to start the new drug until you do wash out.

I say this with the understanding that, sometimes, a specific doctor can be a bad fit for a particular patient. If that's the case, get another opinion or change doctors altogether. If you think that you must continue on mtx, at least talk to your doctor. You really won't have to ponder very long, as you said you'll see the doctor in about a week anyway.

Definitely follow the doc’s orders. As mentioned in the post above, when the doc tells you to do something, generally, it’s not a suggestion. There is likely a reason that she told you to stop, and then come back so soon.

In the future, you might take note of anything that sounds off to you, and then you can address it before you leave the office. Sometimes it’s hard to do that, but it comes with time. :slight_smile: you’ll be a pro before you know it.
One doesn’t necessarily need to take MTX with a bio and if you can do without it and have success, then why not go for it. One less drug and a lot fewer unpleasant side effects.

Please believe me when I say this is not meant to be rude but the first thing that came to mind was that if you are not going to follow your doctor's instructions, then you might as well get a new doc. Good luck to you

Thank you all for you input! I really do appreciate all the help I can get:)