2nd rheumy apt down - prescribed Mtx

We wait so long to see the rheumy with all these questions we want answered, pay shit loads of money to see them, and then I’m in there for 10-15mins max! Was kinda pissed to be honest. I thought it would be a half hour apt since my last one was 45mins. I still like my rheumy, she is lovely and to the point, caring but doesn’t fluff around. We decided on methotrexate, starting Tuesday 10mg at night, 2xfolic acid tabs every Thursday. Increase to 15mg Mtx after 2 weeks if no side effects. She said it won’t help my spondylitis much, but will make a huge difference to the other joints. She said give it a good 2 months to work. Then hopefully will cut back on the pain killers. Does this all sound logical to you guys? Hope everyone is going well :slight_smile:
Kelly

I take 12.5mg of Methotrexate on Thursdays (5-2.5mg tablets) and 1mg folic acid daily. It does take about 4-6 weeks for the Methotrexate to really make a difference.

Thanks TEHawk :slight_smile:

I started out on 2 tabs then slowly increased the amount. Each time there was a 2 month wait. I'm up to 8 tabs of methotrexate weekly and 2 mg of folic acid daily. To be honest it made no difference in my inflammation at all. I am now on Remicade also. I was hoping to stop the mtx, but doc still has me on it. The Remicade has helped a lot. Most of the swelling and pain are down. I usually feel painless for about a week after the infusion, but then the swelling and pain slowly return. I wish it took the tiredness away too. It has helped a little with that, but not nearly as much as I would like. Guess I should be grateful for what it is helping.

Hi cissy, sorry to hear it hasn’t worked for you :frowning: Mtx isn’t the right med for everyone I guess. I improved by about 50% on NSAIDs because my PsA is in very early stages and I’m hoping the Mtx will work well for me due to the fact I was diagnosed so early, I hope so anyway :slight_smile:

I started out taking 4-2.5 mg and went up to 8-2.5. I saw my rheumy a few weeks ago and she decided because of increased pain and side effects we would switch to injections. I have had two injections of 25 mg so far, haven’t flared yet so that’s awesome however I’m still having aches, pains nausea and the fatigue is really harsh.

Im also taking folic acid but not on the day I take the MTX.

Yes, Kelly, that sounds like a pretty standard way to start. I like your rheumy’s optimism about MTX making a huge difference to your joints. I hope she’s right, but don’t hold your breath! LOL
This is a good step for you. If it helps that’s good. If it doesn’t, then you are one step closer to finding something that does.

Thanks for the feedback everyone :)

Everything made good sense, but. . . Folic acid helps to minimize side effects, especially hair loss and mouth sores. It seems more common to take folic acid every day, typically starting at 1mg per day, but there are people who take a lot more. I take 3mg/day. The 1mg pills are prescription strength. What you can buy in the store is only about 10% of that. Even on 1mg/day, I still had some mouth sores.

I have never had mouth sores before, it sounds horrible, I really hope I don’t get that… What do u do when you get mouth sores?

Not much. . . Waited for them to go away. I never got bad ones, but I did get them. And we increased the folic acid as well.