Self injection of mtx - thoughts & how to dispose of waste

Hi
I’ve just been put on to mtx injections 20mg (tablets not working) and I want to self inject so I’m not tied to the dr each week.
not only am i a little nervous about self injecting the intra muscular injection, but doctor won’t show me how to do it until I can show I can dispose of the cytotoxic needle & waste safely. :frowning:
If you self inject how do you overcome the nervousness of sticking yourself with a needle? & if you can suggest how to dispose of waste & where can I get cytotoxic sharps containers (I’m in Australia) without having to buy 30 at a time?

Your pharmacy won't give them to you?

I would think that you need the same disposal system that diabetics have for their insulin needles.

You should be able to inject it subcutaneously- that's the protocol in the US, anyway. Here, you just have to put the used needles in a plastic container and label it as sharps or medical waste, then put it in the regular trash. An old milk jug or laundry detergent bottle works perfectly. Can't you just collect them at home and take them back to your doctor's when you go?

As far as the nervousness goes, just cowboy up and do it! The first few times are awkward and scary, but you'll get used to it. I use tiny needles designed for insulin injections, and really can't even feel them. Check on whether you really have to inject intramuscularly though: that's more difficult and more painful.

I put them in a wine bottle, fill it with bleach water cork it, label it, and toss it in the trash.

Many of us are injecting IM. Fewer SE, more efficacy

I purchased a needle holder container from Target and when it is all filled up I take it to the drs. office and they take it.

It's the cytotoxic part that makes it hard. Chemotherapy drugs, empty vials and syringes are suppose to go to hazardous waste. I have not found a way to do it in Vermont. I have tried taking it to a hospital where they give chemotherapy drugs but they really don't want to deal with me and my garbage. I have ended up just disposing of it in the usual sharps containers. There does not seem to be a good way to do it as an out patient. At least that I can find.

I dispose of the empty vials in the sharps container. These go back to the pharmacy when it’s full (which, at the rate I’m going, and the size of the syringes, will be after about 5 years!). There must be a way for you to do this!