Autoimmune Diseases

I was just reading a list of these autoimmune diseases, thyroid is on it which I already have and celiac disease which my father had. Tonight is the first time I will be taking the injection. I really hope I don’t get sick.

I hope you don't either. Attitude is a big player. It might be a good time to clean and organize your drawers. Its amazing what a change of focus can do. I'm pulling for you. You deserve a break........

I just started w/ injections, with Enbrel. But I've had other experience with injections in the past. The first time I DID work myself up into quite a state. I was doing fertility treatment. I distracted myself the first night that I had to give myself a shot by playing games with my daughter until it was time. And I reread the instructions, and just got if over with. If I hadn't done it quickly I could have gotten myself sick with anxiety.

You'll do great. Just distract yourself, and get it over with.

My husband is going to do it.

Stoney said:

I just started w/ injections, with Enbrel. But I’ve had other experience with injections in the past. The first time I DID work myself up into quite a state. I was doing fertility treatment. I distracted myself the first night that I had to give myself a shot by playing games with my daughter until it was time. And I reread the instructions, and just got if over with. If I hadn’t done it quickly I could have gotten myself sick with anxiety.

You’ll do great. Just distract yourself, and get it over with.

Thank you.

tntlamb said:

I hope you don’t either. Attitude is a big player. It might be a good time to clean and organize your drawers. Its amazing what a change of focus can do. I’m pulling for you. You deserve a break…

I hope the injectable form of MTX brings you the relief you need and deserve, good luck this evening!

Thank you.

Easternlady said:

I hope the injectable form of MTX brings you the relief you need and deserve, good luck this evening!

Let us know how it goes. My husband would not be able to do something like this, ever. I shouldn't say that, but I'm not sure what it would take to get him over his fear of needles. If I had to do an intramuscular shot, I'd either have to figure out how to do it myself, or have my nurse neighbors take turns with me.

That doesn’t bother my husband at all.

Stoney said:

Let us know how it goes. My husband would not be able to do something like this, ever. I shouldn’t say that, but I’m not sure what it would take to get him over his fear of needles. If I had to do an intramuscular shot, I’d either have to figure out how to do it myself, or have my nurse neighbors take turns with me.

He just gets upset over needles. I’ve done a number of different injections over the last 10 years with no real problem. He would just get himself too worked up. Thankfully, no need for him and injectables to mix.

If my script calls for .08 then where is that on the needle?

Do you have a 1 ml needle? It should be marked with lines for 100 units (by tens). So you draw the MTX up to the number 80 or some needles may show .8

You should have 2 pieces. The needle should be either 25g or 27g (gauge) to give a sub cutaneous or SC injection. The needles size is marked on the wrapper they come in. The dose should be in the 17mg to 25 mg dose. The ml or milliliters is a measurement of liquid. Gauge is the size of the needle and milligram is the potency of the medication. Methotrexate comes in vials that are 25 mg in 1 ml. or 50 mg in 2 ml. You should pull the dose up into the syringe without air to the line of your dose. Mine is .7. Then it should be injected, after the alcohol has dried by injecting straight in to the arm, thigh or stomach below the navel. There is no angle as the needle is very short. An IM or intramuscular injection is an inch and 1/2. The SC needles are short at 5/8 of an inch.

Was your husband taught how to do it at your doctors office? When I use to teach injections to patients and families I taught it in 3 parts- I gave it once while they watched, then they gave it while I coached then they gave it with little to no help from me. While we have all become proficient it in time it is rather complicated to begin and needs to be done carefully. Good luck!